Weight Question

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
This has nothing to do with "singles' but I like you guys better than the other boards---gets scary out there.

So, I am doing Ideal Protein right now --basically low carb, no sugar diet. I get weighed in every Tuesday and meet with a coach. Every Thursday I have a TOPS meeting and get weighed in (different group completely). Last week, from Tuesday to Tuesday I lost 1.8....but at TOPS from Thursday to Thursday I lost 3.6.....i get weighed in in the evening for both groups, I eat almos the same thing every day for breakfast/lunch/snack so that can't be it. And, sometimes the difference is crazy---one week I lost 3.2 at IP, and GAINED .4 at TOPS....I know weight fluctuates, but that much in 48 hours?My actual weight is not that different from place to place.......I guess it evens out, but do you find this much fluctuation?

Replies

• SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    YES. It used to drive me insane!

One scale would say 5 lbs lost. One would say 2 lbs gained. I had to learn to not rely on more than one scale so much. Stick with one, same time of day, same time of week. Even then... I hate the scale. I measure.my waist, my hips, my chest, my neck, and my thighs. I'm losing inches even if the scale doesn't always reflect a loss.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yup. I am up 5 lbs this week and it is driving me nuts. I obviously did not eat 17,500 more cals than I should've, so I know it is just water retention. Judging by my mood swings this week, Aunt Flo should be stopping by any day now. Plus I haven't been the best about cooking my own food this week and last. So lucky to be women, eh?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Drove me crazy, I started weighting myself every day and recording the results so I could keep track of the overall trend. And I noticed I always seemed to weigh more at the beginning of the week and less at the end of the week. Not sure why.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Yup. I am up 5 lbs this week and it is driving me nuts. I obviously did not eat 17,500 more cals than I should've, so I know it is just water retention. Judging by my mood swings this week, Aunt Flo should be stopping by any day now. Plus I haven't been the best about cooking my own food this week and last. So lucky to be women, eh?

I do love being a woman!

But you're right.. when Aunt Flo or Mr. TOM come in for a visit, well, I gain about ten pounds. :/
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Drove me crazy, I started weighting myself every day and recording the results so I could keep track of the overall trend. And I noticed I always seemed to weigh more at the beginning of the week and less at the end of the week. Not sure why.

Love the new profile pic! :) For some reason, I always thought you were younger... lol... like in your late 20's... maybe it was the blue shirt (that's all I saw before)
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Don't watch the scale because it does move a lot...I am not saying don't weigh in just saying know that if your sticking to your plan the scale will move in the right direction. Do you have a scale that provides body fat and water content? I ask becuase this past weekend I was haning out with my kids (I don't get to see them often) and we ate a lot of "fast food" now I was able to stay under my calorie count for the most part but my sodium intake was WAY high. The point of my story is on Saturday before I picked them up I weighed in at 219 and on Tuesday when they left I weighed in at 223.6 I clearly didn't EAT that much. For me it was/is water. My scale provides a water % and Saturday I was 219 with 28.1 body fat and 50% water and Tuesday it was 223.6 with 28.4 body fat and 52% water. 2% water increase accounts for those extra lbs. Since Tuesday I have uppped my water intake to flush out my system and the scale today had me at 219.8 with 28.1 body fat and 51% water.

It becomes very frustrating if you look only at the number on the scale. Look at other factors and when the number on the scale is frustrating look at the "total" progress if you draw a trend line on the scale numbers if that trend line is moving "down" your WINNING
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The scale is NOT my friend. I prefer to go by my measuring tape and how my clothes fit.
  • Moe4572
    Options
    Don't watch the scale because it does move a lot...I am not saying don't weigh in just saying know that if your sticking to your plan the scale will move in the right direction. Do you have a scale that provides body fat and water content? I ask becuase this past weekend I was haning out with my kids (I don't get to see them often) and we ate a lot of "fast food" now I was able to stay under my calorie count for the most part but my sodium intake was WAY high. The point of my story is on Saturday before I picked them up I weighed in at 219 and on Tuesday when they left I weighed in at 223.6 I clearly didn't EAT that much. For me it was/is water. My scale provides a water % and Saturday I was 219 with 28.1 body fat and 50% water and Tuesday it was 223.6 with 28.4 body fat and 52% water. 2% water increase accounts for those extra lbs. Since Tuesday I have uppped my water intake to flush out my system and the scale today had me at 219.8 with 28.1 body fat and 51% water.

It becomes very frustrating if you look only at the number on the scale. Look at other factors and when the number on the scale is frustrating look at the "total" progress if you draw a trend line on the scale numbers if that trend line is moving "down" your WINNING

AT IP, they do measure the body fat, and the % water and some other factors, but I stil find it interesting that two days apart, I can have such a big difference.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

What scale do you have?
    I need one of those.
  • Moe4572
    Options
    The scale is NOT my friend. I prefer to go by my measuring tape and how my clothes fit.

I, actually prefer the measuring tape as well. They only measure at IP, not at TOPS, so no comparison, but I am down at IP by 15.25 inches :tongue: