Counting my Blessings Tonight

goncountry
goncountry Posts: 75 Member
5 years ago, I started having symptoms, very strange neurological symptoms which led to a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. I am thinking tonight how blessed I am to not have progressed. I am doing very well, very mild symptoms. There are many with MS who have lost the ability to be mobile. I plan to thank God for his many blessings by taking better care of myself. There was a time I was in bed for hours on end, not able to be productive. I want to thank Him for helping me to continue to live a very rich, full life. I have no reason to be immobile, so I won't be and I will work on my overall health, including my spirit as a thank you!

Replies

• kenja79
    kenja79 Posts: 7 Member
    Very well said! I have said and thought the same exact thing. I had my first MS attack back in 2009 that was pretty rough and tough on me. From Oct 2009-August 2010, I had been in the hospital 3 times. MS has (so far) cost me my job as a nurse whilest doing my dream job, several relationships (although this was a blessing in disguise b/c they appearantly weren't really relationships after all), missed opportunities with my small children and due to being in bed MOST of the time from Oct 2009 to Oct 2011 from spasticity and depression a weight gain that toppled over 50 lbs. My 10 year old daughter saved my life. With my iphone, she snapped an unexpected & VERY unflattering photo of myself in bed eating an entire box of wheat thins. At first I was angry at her for taking a photo of me that I didn't know she took b/c I didn't have a chance to hide the fat and stretch the neck to hide the chins. It took a few days of me going back and forth to that picture until I finally came to grips at what I had done to myself and what I had allowed Multiple Sclerosis to do to me. My lowest point was in May of last year, taking my 10 & 13 year old to the zoo for the first time and I had to be pushed around in a wheelchair b/c at 226 lbs, the extra weight made my muscles hurt and become very spastic. I was embarrassed and mortified when people would look and stare at me. Now, I thank God every day for allowing me the chance to do what I do. Sure, I'm still not "normal" and I have those days (prob 3-4 out of 7) where my legs are so spastic and they hurt SO BAD that I just can't bear the thought of getting out of bed but then I just think that atleast I have the opportunity to get up out of bed when so many do not and they would take my achy broken down legs in a heartbeat. Thank you very much for posting this; allowing me to once again reevaluate what is important in my life. Good luck to you and may your journey be forever blessed.
    Kenja