Do we make it harder than it is?

Options
Should I text? Whose turn is it to call/text? Should I ask her/him out? Who decides where to go? Who pays? What do I wear? Should we kiss? What if he only gave me a handshake? Whose turn is it to initiate a second/third date? Am I being friendzoned? When should we have sex?

I am guilty. I admit it. I really liked this one guy that I met via online dating site in May. After a few phone conversations, we decided to meet. I bought two brand new outfits just to meet this man. Of course, I could only wear one. LOL But I was so worried about making a good impression. Well, the first date was a great success and ended with a very sweet wonderful kiss. We continued to talk. Time for a seond date. And oh my goodness... I worried about the stupidest stuff. What should I wear? If I wear shorts, what will he think of my legs? I tried on several different outfits. I fretted. I wanted him to like me so badly that I way over thought. Well, he liked me. No problem. We continued to see each other for the next month or so. Due to circumstances and distances, though, our little relationship dwindled down to nothing.

Since then, I have changed my thinking. I have talked to several men via online or friend connections. I have only met with a few in person, but when I did, I had a different mindset. I didn't go into these meetings with the thought of "I have got to do whatever it takes to make him like me." Nope. Instead, I went into these meetings thinking this, "I am going to dress the way I would if I was going out with friends, be myself, and meet this man and see if we click." So, I didn't go with my hair in a pony tail (Okay, maybe once, but it was a cute pony tail) and looking slouchy but I didn't overthink my apparel either. Unfortunately, none of these men were matches for me. That's okay.

My point? I'm getting there...

Be yourself. Don't worry so much. Let things happen naturally. When it's right, it's not that hard. I'm not saying that relationships don't take time and effort, but in my experience, I have come to realize that the best relationships I've had didn't come the hard way. I didn't worry so much about what he thought or who called or texted first... or what I should wear...

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to look nice or do nice things... I am just saying... maybe we should just relax a little, take things in stride, not worry so much, not try to force things to work...

Replies

• porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I agree! Gotta be ourselves! We don't have to be slobs about it, but we don't have to over-stress, either.

I will, however, likely buy something cute to wear for next Friday's singles event...... :laugh:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I agree! Gotta be ourselves! We don't have to be slobs about it, but we don't have to over-stress, either.

I will, however, likely buy something cute to wear for next Friday's singles event...... :laugh:

Of course! Any excuse to go shopping!!!! :drinker: :tongue:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do.

When things feel right, there's a great flow to all interactions. No complexities, no nonsense.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

That's definitely not over-thinking, and always appreciated by us dude-folk!
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do.

When things feel right, there's a great flow to all interactions. No complexities, no nonsense.

I totally agree with this man
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Yes, we do.

I totally agree with this man

Me too. THIS time. :tongue:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Sure but there is no changing it because emotion replaces reason and it is a faulty substitute.
    However a world of Vulcan "logic" is a very cold and unsatisfying one as an alternative.

Guys should try to understand the often complicated and contradictory feelings a woman can have and ladys should try to understand that a guys bluntness does not mean they can`t love and care.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Sure but there is no changing it because emotion replaces reason and it is a faulty substitute.
    However a world of Vulcan "logic" is a very cold and unsatisfying one as an alternative.

Guys should try to understand the often complicated and contradictory feelings a woman can have and ladys should try to understand that a guys bluntness does not mean they can`t love and care.

:huh:

I'm not sure we're on the same page, Carl. Are you saying that women over analyze because of their emotions? Is that why it's complicated?

My point was that I think, often times, that we tend to make the whole dating game harder than what it should be. We over think situations and over analyze another's actions and words. Men and women.

But... when I meet someone with whom I feel a connection, things just seem to flow smoothly. I don't over analyze each and every action. I don't overthink my apparel. Do I try to look nice for him? Of course, I do. But I don't spend two hours trying on several different outfits... I pick one that maybe he hasn't seen before that flatters me. I do my hair. I shower. I put on deoderant and smell good stuff. I put my make-up on. I try. But I don't spend hours fretting about whether he will like me or not. I don't worry about whose turn it is to call/text. It's easy. It's natural. Our conversation just seems to flow. Maybe there are some moments of silence, but they don't seem awkward.

Or is it just me...

And I'm thinking it's easy... and the guy is sweating bullets...

LOL

I know I've been out with guys whom I thought seemed nervous before. Of course, they denied it. But seems to me, when someone is shaking, he is nervous.

Maybe this is not what you were talking about. And maybe I'm totally lost. Care to throw me a map or better yet a GPS, Carl?
  • Carl01
    Options

:huh:

I'm not sure we're on the same page, Carl. Are you saying that women over analyze because of their emotions? Is that why it's complicated?

My point was that I think, often times, that we tend to make the whole dating game harder than what it should be. We over think situations and over analyze another's actions and words. Men and women.

But... when I meet someone with whom I feel a connection, things just seem to flow smoothly. I don't over analyze each and every action. I don't overthink my apparel. Do I try to look nice for him? Of course, I do. But I don't spend two hours trying on several different outfits... I pick one that maybe he hasn't seen before that flatters me. I do my hair. I shower. I put on deoderant and smell good stuff. I put my make-up on. I try. But I don't spend hours fretting about whether he will like me or not. I don't worry about whose turn it is to call/text. It's easy. It's natural. Our conversation just seems to flow. Maybe there are some moments of silence, but they don't seem awkward.

Or is it just me...

And I'm thinking it's easy... and the guy is sweating bullets...

LOL

I know I've been out with guys whom I thought seemed nervous before. Of course, they denied it. But seems to me, when someone is shaking, he is nervous.

Maybe this is not what you were talking about. And maybe I'm totally lost. Care to throw me a map or better yet a GPS, Carl?

Just in reading what ladies say here how much they romanticize the process of dating as much as the person it is with.
    To the point of falling for someone that is the opposite of what they would say they want.
    We don`t grasp the importance of certain things and sometimes resent them...for example the reluctance of some ladies to take a proactive role in any form.

I don`t think men do a very good job of letting it be known that while sex is liked and can be done easier for us we also do really want more then just that out of life.
    It makes a lady either shy away or try to appeal to just that facet.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

Just in reading what ladies say here how much they romanticize the process of dating as much as the person it is with.
    To the point of falling for someone that is the opposite of what they would say they want.

I don`t think men do a very good job of letting it be known that while sex is liked and can be done easier for us we also do really want more then just that out of life.

Ahh, yes...

Honestly.. it is confusing. I don't know what to think sometimes. Some men overtly express their interest sexually. Some use a bit of a filter. I sometimes tend to think the ones who use a filter are simply not interested... because I've been trained by men to think that if they are interested they will just come out and say it. On the other hand, those who are over the top and send me messages about how big his unit is tend to make me think that's all they are after. Usually, that's all those guys are after. I think some of us get confused ... especially if a man is not as aggressive as the rest. Not to say that we always prefer the more aggressive ones, but they don't leave a window of confusion open. They tell us what they think. They tell us what they want.

I dated a guy in April. All he wanted to talk about was sex. I tried to give him a chance. I told him that I wanted to wait til we got to know each other a little bit better. But we could not have a conversation without sex being brought into it. Did I believe that he wanted more? No. Why would I?

A guy I'm talking to now... we've had very intelligent conversations, made connections. He's told me that he thought I was beautiful but he never said anything out of line or inappropriate. I falsely assumed that he wasn't interested in me sexually. Because he never said anything. Well, until last night. LOL

Anyway... it is difficult. I get that.
  • Carl01
    Options

Ahh, yes...

Honestly.. it is confusing. I don't know what to think sometimes. Some men overtly express their interest sexually. Some use a bit of a filter. I sometimes tend to think the ones who use a filter are simply not interested... because I've been trained by men to think that if they are interested they will just come out and say it. On the other hand, those who are over the top and send me messages about how big his unit is tend to make me think that's all they are after. Usually, that's all those guys are after. I think some of us get confused ... especially if a man is not as aggressive as the rest. Not to say that we always prefer the more aggressive ones, but they don't leave a window of confusion open. They tell us what they think. They tell us what they want.

I dated a guy in April. All he wanted to talk about was sex. I tried to give him a chance. I told him that I wanted to wait til we got to know each other a little bit better. But we could not have a conversation without sex being brought into it. Did I believe that he wanted more? No. Why would I?

A guy I'm talking to now... we've had very intelligent conversations, made connections. He's told me that he thought I was beautiful but he never said anything out of line or inappropriate. I falsely assumed that he wasn't interested in me sexually. Because he never said anything. Well, until last night. LOL

Anyway... it is difficult. I get that.

Case in point,if he isn`t sexual you sense no interest,if he is too much it is uncomfortable.
    No guy inherently knows the balance to exactly what buttons any individual lady needs pushed.
    That is why we need some proactive input and not just coy hints.

I am not painting with a broad brush here but using what you just said (sorry :flowerforyou: ) I have to ask a question now.
    Do ladies,despite what they mostly say about intimacy,really do want a guy to show or express that desire early on?
    Not in a case of it being actionable for them but as another,for lack of a better word,test they have to pass.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Case in point,if he isn`t sexual you sense no interest,if he is too much it is uncomfortable.
    No guy inherently knows the balance to exactly what buttons any individual lady needs pushed.

I am not painting with a broad brush here but using what you just said (sorry :flowerforyou: ) I have to ask a question now.
    Do ladies,despite what they mostly say about intimacy,really do want a guy to show or express that desire early on?
    Not in a case of it being actionable for them but as another,for lack of a better word,test they have to pass.

HI, Carl. :smile:

I cannot speak for every woman, only for myself.

Do I want to feel desired? YES. Do I want to feel sexy and beautiful and attractive when I'm with a man? YOU BET I DO.

Here's what works best for me:

A man strikes up conversation with me. While he is allowed and quite welcome, I might add, to compliment my looks, he should not invite me to his hotel room the first time we speak. He will score major brownie points if we can converse on a higher thinking level than, "You're hot." The first conversation, for me, should not contain any sexual inuendos... not that I don't like them necessarily, but I will assume he is all about sex. However, over the course of time and conversations, he is allowed to flirt and give hints that he is interested that way. Again, if he wants more than sex from me, sex should not be the only topic of our conversation. Maybe it shouldn't even enter the picture until we've made some sort of connection. By connection, I'm not even saying we have to be ready to go exclusive. I'm just saying we've done more than the "So, what do you" "How many kids do you have" and "what do you do for fun" kind of conversation. Actually, let's be creative and not even have those types of conversations. Let's find out about each other in passing... okay, that's another post..

Example of hints and flirting that lets me know he is interested without him being a total douche bag:

Him: What are you doing?
    Me: Just relaxing in my recliner.
    Him: Any room for me there?

That lets me know that he wants to be close to me. Yet, he wasn't overtly sexual.

Me: What do you think of as a great date?
    Him: Something simple, a picnic, a nature walk...
    Me: Sounds good. I like simple.
    Him: It might not be that romantic, but for a first date we should focus more on conversation...
    Me: I didn't say anything about it being a first date.
    Him: Oh, well, then I'll go with my original thought of skinny dipping.
    Him: Assuming you can swim...
    Me: Lol I can swim.

Okay, this part of our conversation let me know that he is interested in skinny dipping with me...hence, he is open to a sexual relationship with me... but not on our first date... That's okay with me. He's not pushing sex on me, but he is letting me know, "Hey, I'm interested in you, and if we make it that far, I'd love to get naked with you." LOL

Does that help?

Like I said... I'm just speaking for me.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Does that help?

I agree.

It's all about middle ground. Yes, there shouldn't be conversations about sex all the time, but it shouldn't be discounted either.

For me, I do think we make it a lot harder than it should be. I do agree that things should be natural and if you're stressing all the time, it might be because you're not compatible with that person. If you really get along, things shouldn't be complicated and you can be yourself.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to look nice or do nice things... I am just saying... maybe we should just relax a little, take things in stride, not worry so much, not try to force things to work...

Tru dat... one consequence of the crazy flurry when I first went back online (and was meeting 2-4 guys each week) is I just didn't have TIME for all the normal stressing, shopping, and primping that went along with each new first date. I doll myself up when I can, but that’s usually only on the weekends.

At first, it was stressful because I was worried I wasn't putting my best foot forward. But one guy I liked put it nicely: "well, at least I know what I'm *really* getting, and the normal day-to-day you looks pretty good." Too bad his divorce wasn't final, lol, b/c I really liked him.
  • Carl01
    Options

Do I want to feel desired? YES. Do I want to feel sexy and beautiful and attractive when I'm with a man? YOU BET I DO.

A man strikes up conversation with me. While he is allowed and quite welcome, I might add, to compliment my looks, he should not invite me to his hotel room the first time we speak. He will score major brownie points if we can converse on a higher thinking level than, "You're hot." The first conversation, for me, should not contain any sexual inuendos... not that I don't like them necessarily, but I will assume he is all about sex. However, over the course of time and conversations, he is allowed to flirt and give hints that he is interested that way. Again, if he wants more than sex from me, sex should not be the only topic of our conversation. Maybe it shouldn't even enter the picture until we've made some sort of connection. By connection, I'm not even saying we have to be ready to go exclusive. I'm just saying we've done more than the "So, what do you" "How many kids do you have" and "what do you do for fun" kind of conversation. Actually, let's be creative and not even have those types of conversations. Let's find out about each other in passing... okay, that's another post..

Example of hints and flirting that lets me know he is interested without him being a total douche bag:

That lets me know that he wants to be close to me. Yet, he wasn't overtly sexual.

Him: It might not be that romantic, but for a first date we should focus more on conversation...

Okay, this part of our conversation let me know that he is interested in skinny dipping with me...hence, he is open to a sexual relationship with me... but not on our first date... That's okay with me. He's not pushing sex on me, but he is letting me know, "Hey, I'm interested in you, and if we make it that far, I'd love to get naked with you." LOL

Does that help?

In fairness though that does kind of fall into the making it harder (no pun so everyone get their mind out of the gutter :tongue: ) part.
    How is a guy to know the balance of showing a sexual interest or being seen as creepy?
    Especially in the context of many ladies saying they want something emotional before considering the act.
    Before this conversation I thought any sexual suggestions were supposed to be off the table completely.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I can't recall any relationship starting up with this kind of flirty conversations. Maybe it's the men you date? I know a man is interested in me because he holds my hand or guides me through a doorway with his hand in the small of my back. To me, the indicators are touch - not some fine balance of getting in some safe flirting without coming across as creepy. Looking for a guy to say the right things does sound a lot like making this harder than they need to be, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, with a guy I really like and feel that click, I will probably spend more time getting ready and worrying about how I look more so than for some guy I've never met before probably for a good while in the dating process until I'm secure in an exclusive relationship. It seems I'm the complete opposite (to muddy the waters for all the men). I guess I meet so few men that I really connect with, it makes me feel more nervous and pressured to put my best self forward for quite a while so I don't blow it. I don't mean not being myself at all, but more getting to know him a little more first before really letting my guard down and showing my figurative warts.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can't recall any relationship starting up with this kind of flirty conversations. Maybe it's the men you date? I know a man is interested in me because he holds my hand or guides me through a doorway with his hand in the small of my back. To me, the indicators are touch - not some fine balance of getting in some safe flirting without coming across as creepy. Looking for a guy to say the right things does sound a lot like making this harder than they need to be, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, with a guy I really like and feel that click, I will probably spend more time getting ready and worrying about how I look more so than for some guy I've never met before probably for a good while in the dating process until I'm secure in an exclusive relationship. It seems I'm the complete opposite (to muddy the waters for all the men). I guess I meet so few men that I really connect with, it makes me feel more nervous and pressured to put my best self forward for quite a while so I don't blow it. I don't mean not being myself at all, but more getting to know him a little more first before really letting my guard down and showing my figurative warts.

I agree about not having experienced an actual relationship that starts with heavy overt flirting. Those situations tend to go nowhere with me. They're fun, but are in some ways ultimately not sustainable. Again, I agree that touch is a good indicator, and would add that little favors are, too. My ex husband cleaned out my refrigerator for me when we were studying abroad, and I knew....
    My general experience is that things with the potential for "real" are based in reality- touching, favors, talking about things other than imaginary sex, and these things tend to be easier for me to maintain long-term.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

Does that help?

In fairness though that does kind of fall into the making it harder (no pun so everyone get their mind out of the gutter :tongue: ) part.
    How is a guy to know the balance of showing a sexual interest or being seen as creepy?
    Especially in the context of many ladies saying they want something emotional before considering the act.
    Before this conversation I thought any sexual suggestions were supposed to be off the table completely.

Carl, just read the other ladies' opinions. Apparently I'm doing things all wrong anyway... LOL.. they say no flirting. I would be lost and clueless if a man didn't flirt with me. I would totally think he had no interest in me whatsoever and then some other man would come along and flirt with me, and I would sense interest, so I would move on. (P.S. If a man isn't going to flirt, he needs to be blunt with me. Hey, woman. I like you. Let's get to know each other.) LOL :flowerforyou:

But just for the record, in my opinion, touch can be a sign of being flirty. A man does not have to use his words to flirt. Heck, sometimes he can just use his eyes without talking or touching.

OH, and remember... I said he was ALLOWED to flirt later on... not that it was necessarily required!!! As long as he lets me know aomehow that he's interested... and I'm interested in him... then, it's all gravy, baby!
  • Carl01
    Options

Carl, just read the other ladies' opinions. Apparently I'm doing things all wrong anyway... LOL.. they say no flirting. I would be lost and clueless if a man didn't flirt with me. I would totally think he had no interest in me whatsoever and then some other man would come along and flirt with me, and I would sense interest, so I would move on. (P.S. If a man isn't going to flirt, he needs to be blunt with me. Hey, woman. I like you. Let's get to know each other.) LOL :flowerforyou:

But just for the record, in my opinion, touch can be a sign of being flirty. A man does not have to use his words to flirt. Heck, sometimes he can just use his eyes without talking or touching.

OH, and remember... I said he was ALLOWED to flirt later on... not that it was necessarily required!!! As long as he lets me know aomehow that he's interested... and I'm interested in him... then, it's all gravy, baby!

It does raise a larger point though in that what is "right" for you is not for others.
    That is fair enough but where the whole notion that ladies should be passive in the early stages of a possible relationship is terribly flawed.
    Treating you as I have been led to believe ladies want to be leads you to think I was not interested.
    Treating another as you would like will get me called a jerk.

Nothing wrong with either and nothing inferior about both wishes but as I stated to begin with ladies are just really complicated in these things.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

I'm not looking for a guy to say the right things. Carl asked a question about what is okay as far as flirting goes, and I simply answered him with conversations that I've actually had with men whom I'd actually been talking to for a while. The first example happened with a guy I'd actually already met and had been seeing. The second conversation happened with a man whom I've had many many intellectual conversations, and this night we just happened to be chatting.

Do men flirt with me? Yes. Maybe it is the type of men I date. Honestly, I didn't know there was another type out there. Maybe it's me. Maybe I put off a flirtatious vibe. That would definitely be something upon which I could reflect.

And in my opinion, a man touching me is also part of flirting, showing interest and affection.

I'm not requiring that a man flirt with me. I'm not looking for him to say just the right things. In fact, if he always has just the right thing to say, I tend to regard him as a player and know that he's probably not the one for me. It's not that I'm looking for a guy to say the right things necessarily but that red flags are raised when he says the wrong things.

Actually, that was kind of my point. Why spend time worrying about a meeting or first date when you're not even sure if you like the guy or not. Definitely, if I'm interested in a man or care about him, I want to dress and do my hair and look great for him. But when I feel like there is a connection, things just seem to fall into place.. I am me. Of course, I want to put my best foot forward, but I also am comfortable with being myself. And I don't worry about saying just the right thing or whatever.