San Francisco - Eating Healthy while Traveling

kskroch
kskroch Posts: 288 Member
ok, I'm going on a trip to San Francisco in a week, 5 days for work/training, 3 days for fun.

I have been there before but not since I've lost weight - there is a lot of great food out there - i'm not use to eating out that often much less 9 days in a row. Ideas on how to pull this off without blowing my weight, what to do and where to go that is would be healthy for a 'zone' ish diet ?

I've already found a 'Paleo-pop up' for one evening meal.

I'll be doing a lot of walking.

Thanks, Kevin

Replies

• dblosmith
    dblosmith Posts: 29 Member
    I could recommend some good restaurants, but I don't want to be a bad influence on you. :)

I saw a lot of these Paleo... groups. i've never heard of it before. What is it?
  • kskroch
    Oh yea, I'm really afraid if i'm not careful this trip could cost me 10 pounds and set me back as i'm having trouble maintaining my weight or losing anymore the way it is.

I've been reading some of the paleo people - Mark Sisson and the guys on the http://healthymindfitbody.com/ podcast in particular. I can't say I'm ready to go all in with it, but I think they have some good ideas and their explanation of insulin resistance related issues seems to fit everything I've gone through in the last many years.

This is where I got hooked up with the paleo pop-up in SF: http://zenbellyblog.com/ also if you are on Facebook, search for SF Primal
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    My hints for you is do not use a car while their as much as possible. Walk or take public transit. This will increase activity while their and that way you can keep moving over eating. Spend your food dollars wisely. Chose well prepared over quick bites. When you have a meal. Have a meal. relax and enjoy it take your time enjoy the experience. Then walk to your next adventure. Their is plenty of Fish in Sanfransisco. Try and eat more of it. Steamed or grilled. But if you can get to Berkley have a Meal at Chez Panies. Alice Waters restaurant that Put California food on the map.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Another idea, is when you order ask the waiter to bring a to, go box when your food arrives divide the food on the plate. So you have something for the next day if you have a fridge in your room you now have lunch. Or you could be kind and pay it forward by giving that extra porion of food to some one on the street as you leave.
  • dblosmith
    dblosmith Posts: 29 Member
    Definitely a good idea. Cut all your meals in half and you'll have about the right calories for a meal. I still do that.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    You should have no problem finding grain free or low carb meals at most restaurants. Dairy free is a little harder but maybe its something you can relax on while you are there (not that you should start chugging lattes or anything but don't worry about a little dairy in recipes).

I dunno, I eat out basically every day, and everywhere I go appears to have options that would work for paleo/low carb dieting, with some minor substitutions. Like most places will give you extra meat on your salad, etc.

Paleo is the hardest though, so restrictive. If you're doing something less strict, you really shouldn't have any issues. I eat relatively high protein so I tend to cut carbs slightly as a way to cut calories so I will do things like a carne asada plate with double beans, no rice, and corn tortillas.
  • kskroch
    I think I'm going make up a measured snack bag for the travel day. dried fruit/pumpkin seeds.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Honestly, when we went on vacation I didn't stress it. We ate in for breakfast and lunch, at out at a night restaurant at night and between time walking and running around on the beach and swimming, I wasn't worried about going over on calories!

We both lost weight on vacation!
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    My hints for you is do not use a car while their as much as possible. Walk or take public transit. This will increase activity while their and that way you can keep moving over eating. Spend your food dollars wisely. Chose well prepared over quick bites. When you have a meal. Have a meal. relax and enjoy it take your time enjoy the experience. Then walk to your next adventure. Their is plenty of Fish in Sanfransisco. Try and eat more of it. Steamed or grilled. But if you can get to Berkley have a Meal at Chez Panies. Alice Waters restaurant that Put California food on the map.

Great advice. San Francisco (and Berkeley / Oakland) have many excellent restaurants but few excellent parking spaces. Driving a car is a treacherous thing in SF these days, particularly when it comes to parking. For any given parking space, there are usually no fewer than 3 individual signs, randomly placed and obtusely describing the many ticketable or towable offenses you can commit while parking that car. Some of the signs are in the trees or down the street, and all the tickets are expensive.

Chez Panisse and its many progeny will surely do your palate right, and probably your diet as well. The wallet, maybe not so much, but if you can swing it, it is definitely a destination restaurant. A simple Thai beef salad at any number of delicious Thai restaurants seems like it ought to work well with the paleo diet.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to pack for those 56 degree San Francisco "summers"!