From West Central Illinois

Options
I really need lots of motivation when it comes to excercise! Just found out I am diabetic and need to drop at least 50#. I want to avoid medications at all cost! Can you help keep me going???

Replies

• K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi- just saw this!
    I help a friend who runs an animal rescue in the Quincy /Hamilton area! :)

KUDOS to you for 12 lbs lost!
    KUDOS to you for recognizing the need to avoid meds /reverse diabetes (if possible)!
    (Am assuming type 2? - as type 1 isn't reversible)

SO important, yet our culture is now so tolerant of diabetes as an acceptable health status that it can be such an uphill climb to achieve success.

As a chemist & vet tech (hey! humans are just another species! ha!)-
    we learned a lot about diabetes & the effects on our pets, and it's translatable to humans (obviously, to a point).
    Take home-
    Diabetes should be thought of as internal rusting/corrosion of all body systems and cells- - it's a type of rusting from the inside.

Not to tell you what to do- as I think that you already have the idea & I don't know of your specific life circumstances (obviously).- but I wish that the MDs/RNs/dieticians would stress that remedying this (reversing diabetes or managing it aggressively) is JOB #1 for you.
    NO KIDDING- It's really that important!
    It's not just for you- it's for your family, your grandkids, your fur kids!
    Don't get suckered into society's acceptance of diabetes as a variant on 'normal'- as it won't only be you who pays the price for that error!
    Am wishing the best for you!

Quick thoughts-
    Can you get something like a Tony Little Gazelle & set it up in the backyard (so you can jump on it and exercise when you let the dogs out?
    (Fold it up and throw a tarp on it to protect from rain, or just spray metal joints w. WD40 - put it out there and USE it.
    Yes, it may rust out/wear out faster- but you may use it more that way, and better IT rust out than YOU!)

Believe it or not- that's what I've done this summer - as I have an escapist Beagle who requires constant monitoring! ha!)
    It really helps to kickstart the metabolism.
    You won't be ready to tackle the Ironman competition, but it's surprising what 5-10 minutes can do, if you do it frequently and consistently.
    Don't worry about gear (ok - don't wear stiletto heels! ha!)- just jump on, have at it.
    You don't have to get crazy sweaty or wear super exercise gear- just jump on in street clothes & MOVE.
    Keep track of your time- go to fatburn.com & enter your weight to get a calorie value.

If not that- get a resistance band, or a jump rope, or even dumbbells- and use when in the yard with the dogs- passes the time, builds muscle, and the dogs get a little extra time outside!

Walk the yard with a pooper scooper -- it's a canine variant of walking a meditation labyrinth, and cleans up the yard at the same time! ha!

Heck- take them for a walk if you can! - you WILL help THEIR health at the same time!
    (If not for yourself- do it for THEM!)
    (Mine are too diverse to accomplish that- 2 are 'forward' and the third one (largest/sweetest one) sniffs every darned flower and pulls out of his harness backwards! lol- so it's too chaotic, as my 92 yr old dad would also be along for the walk - just can't go there right now!)

Since you are diabetic -
    DO DO DO consult with your MD/RN/dietitian so that you can account for that exercise /adjust meds accordingly.
    Take their advice over ALL of mine-- am not a human health advisor!

But- what worked for me:
    DO MOVE.
    DO round down (don't overestimate) your fitness calories.
    DO go to Tools and calculate your BMR (NOT BMI).
    DO eat at least your BMR daily (even if MFP tells you to eat 1200 c/day).
    (Go to the General Weight Loss/Help forum and read the sticky notes for newbies, and the one that says 'read again and again'- SO helpful!!)

Wishing the best for you!
  • rhondaoberling
    Options
    It is a great idea K2 But I had a hip replacement 7yrs ago and still have all the plates and pins in my hip and pelvis [MVA 11yrs ago] I dont think my Doc would like me doing that. LOL
    I have a 1'' variance in leg lenght which I do wear a lift in my shoe but my gait is still pretty gimpy, therefore running is also out. I basically walk my fur-babies and do some at home cardio, theraband and theraball exercisesfor strengthening.I am disabled due to my MVA so I do very low impact exercises. Every little bit helps though.... Right? We live in a rural area so my lil rat Weezie walks freely while I manage YoYo The Basset on a leash, if he is free he is GONE!!! That how Bassetts roll! Lol! You have an awesome sense of humor I like that! People these days are so humdrum! I share your passion for abusedanimals, but my BF wont let me rescue because I would be an animal hoarder! He is right!
    my food diary is open if you wish to look at it. My calorie goal I set is 1800 but I am doing good most days to even hit 1000. Maybe you can throw som ideas my way...
  • st_lawson
    st_lawson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP-er from Macomb here. Just wanted to say great job so far on losing the 14 (as of this post).

My sister-in-law recently lost a bunch of weight, and one thing she did that helped was to find her "inspiration"....for her, it's her two daughters (ages 5 and 1 currently). She got a few photos of them and put them around the kitchen...on the fridge next to the handle, on the cupboards, anywhere were she'd be reaching for a snack. Then every time she felt herself giving in and going to get something to munch on, she'd see her kids there and realize that she wants to be active and healthy to participate in their lives and it's not worth having the bag of chips, cookie(s), or whatever it was. It's more important for her to be there for them.

I started running last year prompted by a less-than-favorable cholesterol check (I realize running isn't really an option for you), and I do the same thing. When I get home from work and feel tired and I don't want to put on the running shoes and go out...I go and hug my kids (daughter age 5, son age 5 months) and I realize that I'm doing it for them....so I can be there to ride bikes, play catch, run around the house, and just keep up with them.

It sounds like you've got a great family with lots of inspiration to draw from (kids, grandkids, significant other, the dogs). Find what gives you that extra bit of motivation and make sure that you have the opportunity to keep it in your mind when you feel yourself wanting something you shouldn't have.

Also, as K2ofCU mentioned, "You won't be ready to tackle the Ironman competition, but it's surprising what 5-10 minutes can do, if you do it frequently and consistently." Before I started running, I'd make a point of taking a short walk every day at work. I'm pretty lucky in that I have a morning and afternoon 15 minute break that I'm allowed to take. I'd go outside the building, set a timer on my phone for 7 minutes and start walking. At 7 minutes, I'd turn around, walk back and have a minute to grab some water and settle back into my desk. It'd get my legs moving, get me away from my desk (I sit all day, otherwise) and I always felt more awake and had more energy. If your job allows something like this, maybe you can make something similar work for you.

I hope you're able to find what works for you. Good luck.