Plymouth Half Marathon.

Options
mummy_gerdes
mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
Would any one be up for trying the half marathon april 28th 2013? ive wanted to do it for a couple of years and i think if i had people to train with who had the same goal i would be more motivated to do it. we could run at saltram, central park, and get to some harder places like burrator maybe. i have never run before but any one would be welcome either to give tips or train or both. even if you dont want to do the half marathon it would be noce to be able to train with others who want to get into running or just increase fitness.

claire.

xxx

it was suggested to me that i might get more responses through email if any one is interested due to not wanting to post on a public forum locations and such. :)

Replies

• lisamlc
    lisamlc Posts: 61
    Options
    I am not sure I will be ready by next April otherwise I would love to - maybe 2014 when I have shifted some weight!
  • mummy_gerdes
    Options
    I am not sure I will be ready by next April otherwise I would love to - maybe 2014 when I have shifted some weight!

i feel the same but its 8 months away - think what we can accomplish in 8 months!! i've got one other person definately interested it would be good if we could get a group together! i shall leave it up to you. if you dont want to train or do the marathon you are still more than welcome to come for a run with us :) xxx
  • WTBSE
    WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do it!
    I have just started my C25K, so reckon i'll be ready in 8 months :)
    But i dont know if i'll actually be able to come into Plymouth regularly to do the training, as i live in Cornwall :(
  • mummy_gerdes
    Options
    YAY!! maybe we could alternate? one time we come to you then next you come to us? we could work something out like that if people are interested.
  • WTBSE
    Options
    That sounds great!
    I can get to Burrator easily, as i live in Callington, so would go via Tavistock, and could also get into Central Park every other week (just on a very tight budget as i am out of work at the moment, so got to be careful of petrol costs).
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd manage this. I'm more of a sprinter, so I'm having a hard time even getting to 5k at the moment, I think half a marathon might literally kill me! However training with others sound interesting, although I might not be able to do it all that regularly.

Dumb question, but is Central Park the big one I pass on the way into city centre, just after Milehouse on the left (opposite City Bus depot)? I take it you'd be able to park where the park and ride is in Milehouse and walk in?
  • WTBSE
    Options
    I don't know if I'd manage this. I'm more of a sprinter, so I'm having a hard time even getting to 5k at the moment, I think half a marathon might literally kill me! However training with others sound interesting, although I might not be able to do it all that regularly.

Dumb question, but is Central Park the big one I pass on the way into city centre, just after Milehouse on the left (opposite City Bus depot)? I take it you'd be able to park where the park and ride is in Milehouse and walk in?
    Yep, thats the right one :)
    I would park in the park and ride too. If you are on route, i coudl pick you up on my way in if you ever fancied it (i promise i am not an axe murderer!!).
  • mummy_gerdes
    Options
    sounds like we're getting somewhere!! :) im impressed that your a sprinter - i cant even run for 5 minutes!! lol. this is why i want to train with similar people and people who can give tips. central park would be a good place and easy to get to for everyone by the sounds of it. maybe we can start there and see how everyone finds it - it does have a few hills though :-s saltram house grounds is quite flat and then there is plymbridge woods but might not be easy to get to for everyone. i'm getting quite excited now!! :)
  • WTBSE
    Options
    I just have to say that i am DESPERATELY unfit, so would really struggle to do loads of running. I am dead after my 1st C25K week!
    I would happily do what i can though.
  • mummy_gerdes
    Options
    I just have to say that i am DESPERATELY unfit, so would really struggle to do loads of running. I am dead after my 1st C25K week!
    I would happily do what i can though.

me to!! thats why i think it would be good to do it as a group. lots of encouragement!
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cool beans. I might mention it to my other half and my friend as well, they are both on here and both run so they might be interested too. We may even be able to set up a car share.

Lol, when I say sprinter I mean I suck at long distances but I'm relatively fast, I'm definately no Usain Bolt! In fact I watched a bit of the marathon the other day and worked out their speed. They were averaging 5 minute miles....for 26 miles! I can't manage that speed for more than 60 seconds :noway:

I think maybe I'm more predisposed to faster bursts of speed, but when I started I couldn't run at 10 minute mile pace for more than half a mile, now I'm up to nearly 2 miles at 9/10 minute mile. But it has taken me about 4 months.

Let me know when you are thinking about going, I work full time so my free days are limited but I'll try and come along when I can.
  • mummy_gerdes
    Options
    i would be thinking more of the weekends if im honest - i also work full time i could maybe do the odd evening. how does everyone feel about that? and yes bring your friends along - the more the merrier i say! the athletes from the olymipcs are amazing you havee to give credit where its due!! i cant believe people can run so fast!! lol. xxx
  • WTBSE
    Options
    Weekends and evenings are not possible for me, as i am a single parent and my kids arent old enough to be left.
    Not to worry though, if anyone fancies doing any walks/runs during the day, let me know :)
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't want to dampen anyone enthusiasm but Plymouth Half is one of the toughest half marathons in the country. It's very hilly and if you aren't already a runner it's going to be very hard and it's going to take a lot of dedication.

They close the course after 4 hours but you can finish still.

It's April 28th this year.

If you don't fancy it they are always looking for volunteers, I did last year and it was really fun.