Chad Ochocinco Johnson

Options
2»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but there are plenty of talented folks out there that can play football... and contrary to popular belief, sports are not the be all and end all to life... We have players beating their wives, and mothers (Dez Bryant.. albeit alledgedly) and engaging in illegal activity... and I do believe that leaves an impression on young minds... same with Chris Brown and his beating Rihanna and throwing furniture out of windows.... It's a sad sad day when we allow behavior like this to happen as a society because... "Aw! What the hell! They play good football!" or put on a good show or whatever.... Yeah, they paid their debt to society... but so have many other ex-cons that aren't famous and they have trouble getting a minimum wage jobs for less than what these guys do... yet because they put on a good show, it's ok and they can get paid the big bucks for it.

there are not "plenty" of people that can play pro football. that is why they get paid millions.

its the same for any job where someone is highly skilled.

They are paid the millions because they are an advertising tool (and because they have good agents)... Once their usability as a walking billboard is up so are the millions. I'm pretty sure Manny Ramirez isn't going to be making the big bucks playing for the Minor Leagues (granted his talent may be drug induced, but he is the only guy I can think of right now)... And a lot of people around here question Romo's ability on the field... but yet, he is still playing... again, because he makes a good billboard (and the Jerry likes him). Yes, some do have massive amounts of talent.... but it doesn't mean much if their images can't be sold. Even Tiger Woods personal profits plummeted when his infidelity scandal came about... granted he is still one rich mother... but companies dropped him like a hot potato...
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Chad Johnson's arrest and release from the Dolphins has some talking about the behavior of professional athletes. Do you think teams should hold their players to some kind of "behavior standard"? Do you think releasing athletes who violate any policy on such a standard would lead to less thug behavior?

I think it's perfectly acceptable for teams to hold players to their own personal Code of Conduct, just as most private and even government businesses for "normal" citizens have a Code of Conduct.

Whether it "reforms" players or not, it is in a team's best economic interest to send the message to their fans that they will not tolerate or condone behaviour like that.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Whether it "reforms" players or not, it is in a team's best economic interest to send the message to their fans that they will not tolerate or condone behaviour like that.
    It's in a teams best economic interests to win games. To do that you recruit and pay the most talented players and coaches you can.

You can have the greatest collection of scholar/athlete/anbassadors for the game but if they don't win the team loses money. It's why Michael Vick got a second chance: he's that good that he gives his team that much more of a chance to win. It's why Chad Johnson got cut: he's considered past his prime and the negativity outweighed the positives (also, he was playing for a first-year coach who saw a prime cahnce to set an example). It's why Dez Bryant and Elvis Dumervil and Nick Fairley and Adrian Peterson and Rey Maualuga are not sweating their arrests this year on various charges: they're stars. Their value to their team outweighs the negatives.

It has always been this way in professional sports. If your value to the team is judged to be great enough, you get a pass. Hell, Ray Lewis stabbed a guy to death in a parking lot and he's still revered.

Al Davis' old adage will always ring true in professional sports: just win, baby. There's too much money involved nd the stakes are too high.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    It's in a teams best economic interests to win games. To do that you recruit and pay the most talented players and coaches you can.

You can have the greatest collection of scholar/athlete/anbassadors for the game but if they don't win the team loses money. It's why Michael Vick got a second chance: he's that good that he gives his team that much more of a chance to win. It's why Chad Johnson got cut: he's considered past his prime and the negativity outweighed the positives (also, he was playing for a first-year coach who saw a prime cahnce to set an example). It's why Dez Bryant and Elvis Dumervil and Nick Fairley and Adrian Peterson and Rey Maualuga are not sweating their arrests this year on various charges: they're stars. Their value to their team outweighs the negatives.

It has always been this way in professional sports. If your value to the team is judged to be great enough, you get a pass. Hell, Ray Lewis stabbed a guy to death in a parking lot and he's still revered.

Al Davis' old adage will always ring true in professional sports: just win, baby. There's too much money involved nd the stakes are too high.

I concede to your arguments.

Regardless, I hold the team in a higher standard for cutting him. Likewise, I refuse to root for the Eagles. Not hard since their fans suck anyway.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Chad Johnson's arrest and release from the Dolphins has some talking about the behavior of professional athletes. Do you think teams should hold their players to some kind of "behavior standard"? Do you think releasing athletes who violate any policy on such a standard would lead to less thug behavior?

I believe they should be held to a standard...100%. I mean, I would probably lose my job if I got into the legal trouble of some of these players. Especially if I had to go to jail, I doubt my job would be waiting for me when I got out.

I was horrified that Michael Vick was able to play again. These people are looked up to by so many young klds, what kind of message are they sending them? We already have enough influence on kids to be thugs and it being glamorized by TV and music..

I don't have an issue with Michael Vick playing again. He broke the law. He paid his debt to society. Good for him that he still has the skill set to compete in the league and provide for his family. What message is he sending? If you break the law you will go to jail. If you are lucky you might get a second chance when you get out.
    I believe the teams that allow them to play are sending a message to kids that you can be a total scumbag and still get your way. If anything, their talents are the biggest reason they SHOULDN'T be allowed to comeback. They are basically saying, "you did something most people would find unforgivable, but because you have a talent we will overlook it." Do you feel that's an appropriate role model for kids?

Are you suggesting that a convicted felon that has paid their debt to society not be permitted to work when they get out? What is acceptable work for a convicted felon that is no longer in prison? Are you suggesting a convicted felon that has paid his debt to society and has stayed clean cannot be a good role model for kids?

I don't think they should be working in a field where people look up to a good role model. I think the NFL should hold up that standard though, not a law. If they want to get a job where they aren't doing PR events, charity events and volunteering with sick people and children (as many athletes doing) after they kill animals or headbutt their wives and cut their heads open then sure.

I guess we will agree to disagree then. I believe in second chances. I know people that have been given second chances and I would have no problem with my children looking up to them.

With regards to Chad Johnson... He has been an excellent representative of the NFL in his career. As far as I know, he has not had legal issues in the past. One month after he marries a woman whose career requires drama he gets arrested for domestic violence? She said he head butted her. He said she ducked into him and they butted heads. He is so angry at her because she caught him buying a box of condoms? Come on.. I don't buy it. Sucks to be Chad.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Wait? Adrian Peterson has been arrested? Well that makes me sad... I went to the same University at the same time as he was playing... I rooted for him to win the Heismann (at which he got shafted for, in my opinion, numerous times)... :frown:
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I believe they should be held to a standard...100%. I mean, I would probably lose my job if I got into the legal trouble of some of these players. Especially if I had to go to jail, I doubt my job would be waiting for me when I got out.

I was horrified that Michael Vick was able to play again. These people are looked up to by so many young klds, what kind of message are they sending them? We already have enough influence on kids to be thugs and it being glamorized by TV and music..

I don't have an issue with Michael Vick playing again. He broke the law. He paid his debt to society. Good for him that he still has the skill set to compete in the league and provide for his family. What message is he sending? If you break the law you will go to jail. If you are lucky you might get a second chance when you get out.
    I believe the teams that allow them to play are sending a message to kids that you can be a total scumbag and still get your way. If anything, their talents are the biggest reason they SHOULDN'T be allowed to comeback. They are basically saying, "you did something most people would find unforgivable, but because you have a talent we will overlook it." Do you feel that's an appropriate role model for kids?

Are you suggesting that a convicted felon that has paid their debt to society not be permitted to work when they get out? What is acceptable work for a convicted felon that is no longer in prison? Are you suggesting a convicted felon that has paid his debt to society and has stayed clean cannot be a good role model for kids?

I don't think they should be working in a field where people look up to a good role model. I think the NFL should hold up that standard though, not a law. If they want to get a job where they aren't doing PR events, charity events and volunteering with sick people and children (as many athletes doing) after they kill animals or headbutt their wives and cut their heads open then sure.

I guess we will agree to disagree then. I believe in second chances. I know people that have been given second chances and I would have no problem with my children looking up to them.

With regards to Chad Johnson... He has been an excellent representative of the NFL in his career. As far as I know, he has not had legal issues in the past. One month after he marries a woman whose career requires drama he gets arrested for domestic violence? She said he head butted her. He said she ducked into him and they butted heads. He is so angry at her because she caught him buying a box of condoms? Come on.. I don't buy it. Sucks to be Chad.

Goes back to women having all the power and such :laugh:
  • SwannySez
    Options
    Wait? Adrian Peterson has been arrested? Well that makes me sad...
    Yep, AP got arrested in Houston in July:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-07-07/Adrian-Peterson-arrested-in-Houston/56083594/1
    I agree, and I hate to sound like the guy who's excusing another guy for vioence against a woman - and if he is guilty, then by all means crucify him - but something didn't add up in all fo this for me. Evidently she's sporting a 3" gash on her head. I've headbutted a lot of people and things in my day. Some hard enough to knock them out. I never managed to open up a 3" gash on anyone. I mean it's possible, but...

I have followed Chad's career and follow the man on Twitter, he's never presented himself as anything that could be construed as a "thug". Now before someone says, "well people can create any kind of a persona online." Go read his Twitter feed. The man has no filter. He's almost manic in his tweeting. No way he creates a persona and manages to maintain over that volume of tweeting. If he did, he deserves an Academy award.

He's a bit of a clown, yes, but I always get a sense of loneliness, more than little sadness and an awful lot of naivete. Sure, I don't know him and I might be getting played, but I also think there may be more here than meets the eye.

Anyway, I would disagree with any characterization of Chad as a thug.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I hate to sound like the guy who's excusing another guy for vioence against a woman - and if he is guilty, then by all means crucify him - but something didn't add up in all fo this for me. Evidently she's sporting a 3" gash on her head. I've headbutted a lot of people and things in my day. Some hard enough to knock them out. I never managed to open up a 3" gash on anyone. I mean it's possible, but...

I doubt seriously that she head butted him (as I read he said in one interview). I also doubt that they "bumped" heads. He's buying condoms for a reason, she found them and confronted him, and now she has a 3" laceration. I'm not saying that makes him a thug, but after seeing him released, it made me wonder if owners and managers took a stand on the behavior of their players, if we'd see a difference.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    I doubt seriously that she head butted him (as I read he said in one interview). I also doubt that they "bumped" heads. He's buying condoms for a reason, she found them and confronted him, and now she has a 3" laceration. I'm not saying that makes him a thug, but after seeing him released, it made me wonder if owners and managers took a stand on the behavior of their players, if we'd see a difference.
    And I'm still saying that the biggest reason why he was released was that he's on the downward side of his career already and has a proven inability to function in a highly structured offense. Even so, if he were in his prime there's no way this gets him released.

I am also saying the whole thing smells to me. She didn't find condoms. She found a receipt for condoms. As far as accidentally butting heads? Two people reach for something at the same time? Especially if they are angry? Still, the laceration gives me pause.

On a side note evidently his actual release meeting was filmed live for the HBO show "Hard Knocks" and will air tonight.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    And I'm still saying that the biggest reason why he was released was that he's on the downward side of his career already and has a proven inability to function in a highly structured offense. Even so, if he were in his prime there's no way this gets him released.
    Agreed.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but there are plenty of talented folks out there that can play football... and contrary to popular belief, sports are not the be all and end all to life... We have players beating their wives, and mothers (Dez Bryant.. albeit alledgedly) and engaging in illegal activity... and I do believe that leaves an impression on young minds... same with Chris Brown and his beating Rihanna and throwing furniture out of windows.... It's a sad sad day when we allow behavior like this to happen as a society because... "Aw! What the hell! They play good football!" or put on a good show or whatever.... Yeah, they paid their debt to society... but so have many other ex-cons that aren't famous and they have trouble getting a minimum wage jobs for less than what these guys do... yet because they put on a good show, it's ok and they can get paid the big bucks for it.

there are not "plenty" of people that can play pro football. that is why they get paid millions.

its the same for any job where someone is highly skilled.

They are paid the millions because they are an advertising tool (and because they have good agents)... Once their usability as a walking billboard is up so are the millions. I'm pretty sure Manny Ramirez isn't going to be making the big bucks playing for the Minor Leagues (granted his talent may be drug induced, but he is the only guy I can think of right now)... And a lot of people around here question Romo's ability on the field... but yet, he is still playing... again, because he makes a good billboard (and the Jerry likes him). Yes, some do have massive amounts of talent.... but it doesn't mean much if their images can't be sold. Even Tiger Woods personal profits plummeted when his infidelity scandal came about... granted he is still one rich mother... but companies dropped him like a hot potato...

lol you have no clue how professional sports work. they will pay the most boring athlete millions if he can produce on the field.

edit to add: think of how many players there are on a team that most people cant name who are making millions.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    A very interesting paragraph in this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/08/14/chad-johnson-evelyn-lozada-divorce.ap/index.html#?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

"However, Lozada has been prone to violence: On the VH1 series 'Basketball Wives,' where she gained her fame, she became infamous for attacks on other castmates. In June, she apologized for her behavior and in a letter to her younger self posted on The Huffington Post, she blamed her penchant for fighting on violence in her own household growing up."

I knew nothing about this woman, but things don't look so black and white.

And there's this too:

http://articles.mamaslatinas.com/entertainment/102629/is_latina_basketball_wives_star

There's absolutely ZERO history of Chad and violence. None.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    A very interesting paragraph in this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/08/14/chad-johnson-evelyn-lozada-divorce.ap/index.html#?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a1

"However, Lozada has been prone to violence: On the VH1 series 'Basketball Wives,' where she gained her fame, she became infamous for attacks on other castmates. In June, she apologized for her behavior and in a letter to her younger self posted on The Huffington Post, she blamed her penchant for fighting on violence in her own household growing up."

I knew nothing about this woman, but things don't look so black and white.

And there's this too:

http://articles.mamaslatinas.com/entertainment/102629/is_latina_basketball_wives_star

There's absolutely ZERO history of Chad and violence. None.

Ok so I live in Miami and have been watching this whole Chad Johnson thing ( BTW I was very confused when he changed his name back lol ) I hate the dolphins and normally laugh a little when someone on their team gets into trouble ( Ricky Williams anyone) .. However something smells very fishy to me here. The media seems to think so to. Even our most scandal monger sensationalist news channel ( the world is ending ect..) is taking a very broad band on this one. And the media loves nothing more than to crucify a fallen althete in florida. Personally I think there is alot of information that needs to come out about this story. However if he did head butt her then yes he should do jail time . But think about it this way what if he didn't do it, he lost his career and his good name over some women who all I have ever seen her do is fight on T.V.

Men stay away from reality star women I dont care how hot they are
    (oh and since football season is coming J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS LOL ) :drinker: