Changing the Schedule Around

Options
Pipsg1rl
Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
Has anyone else changed the order of the workouts during the week? For Lean I'm supposed to do Back and Legs, then the following day is Kenpo X.

The day after Back and Legs I'm so sore! I may put the Yoga X or Stretch day here and then the day after Arms and Shoulders do the Kenpo.

My husband commented that the reason the schedule is the way it is is b/c that's probably the best way to do it. I figure as long as I do the workouts, right?

What do you think?

thanks!

Replies

• BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I changed up just as you mentioned during my 3rd round of P90X. The reason I did it was due to my Fit Club I was attending and at the time we only had P90X to do. So Kenpo X was actually on the day I was supposed to do Yoga. So I swapped them so I could do the workouts with my group.

There is a reason for the order of the workouts for sure. If you can do it in the order stated and listed I'd recommend doing it in that order. I was also doing Doubles at the time during that 3rd Round of P90X, so some mornings I'd be doing a workout and then the 2nd workout in the evening.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    Well, that was my 3rd week of Phase 1. Now I'm in "recovery" week.

I haven't looked ahead to see what Phase 2 brings, even though I have the schedule printed out and hung on the fridge. :)
  • BradHallFitness
    Options
    If you are doing Classic you'll be swapping out Shoulders/Arms for Back/Biceps and Chest/Back for Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. The other workouts remain the same.

The way that the workouts are setup is so that you aren't working the same muscles day after day. Your body needs 48 hours after doing resistance/strength training to fully recover and 24 hours after doing cardio/HIIT training to recover. Some people recover quicker but the majority of the population take the above stated recovery time.

So that is why with P90X you do resistance, cardio, resistance, cardio, resistance, yoga, stretch. The Yoga and stretching are vital to elongate the muscles and help reduce soreness. Yoga also helps to strengthen those small stabilizer muscles that ultimately will help you in all other workouts. Also, notice that the workouts each week work a different area of your arms, back, legs, chest etc even though it might feel like you are doing some repetitive exercises.

Also, my 3rd round of P90X (3rd time doing P90X) was during the first half of last year. After doing that round I did P90X a 4th time and stuck to the schedule without swapping around workouts and just did doubles on the days I had my Fit Club.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    I'm working on Lean.

oh- btw I did get a copy of Fountain of Youth and find it to be just as hard but shorter. It came with my package.
  • BradHallFitness
    Options
    I totally forgot you were doing Lean, sorry. Fountain of Youth is an awesome workout. My wife and I did that one together when I first received it last year and it was like Tony was there just taking us thru it. Loved it.

48 minutes of Yoga in that workout is fast paced and just as tough as Yoga X IMO.

So in phase 2 of Lean you'll swap out Shoulders/Arms for Chest/Shoulders/Tris I believe.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    yes. i'll be working on my tris. that's a love/hate relationship. I love to work them but can't stand it's so hard!
  • BradHallFitness
    Options
    Tri's are tough for sure. Doing P90X2 now I'm still maxing out with all of the tricep kick back moves at 15-20 pounds max. Doing overhead Tricep I can go up to 30 max. But it took me a while to build up to that.

Time, Patience, Practice.

Keep going and pushing forward.

How are you doing P90X overall? Dropping inches/weight?
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    I haven't taken any photos or done measurements. The scale hasn't moved other than natural fluctuations, but I'm not discouraged at all.

I have about 4 more days until i'm at day 30.