Different Weight on Different Scales

Options
AnHadley1987
AnHadley1987 Posts: 26 Member
I've had one of those plain bathroom scales for 2 years now, I weighed myself yesterday at 145-147 lbs, reason I say it like that is because I have to adjust the arrow back to zero every time, but once I step off it is back to 3 lbs so I am not sure. I was guessing that I've lost a total of 13 lbs since giving birth. This same scale said I was at 164 lbs when I gave birth 4 months ago (gaining 30 lbs total). Yesterday I purchased a: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Health-o-meter-Silver-Body-Fat-Monitoring-Scale/10264537 and it says I weigh 152 lbs with 34% body fat :indifferent: . How can there be 6 or so lbs difference? Now I feel like crap, and am questioning that stupid old scale!!!!! I look in the mirror, it's obvious I've slimmed down, I've lost 2 1/2 inches on my waist line, 1 inch off my thighs. Hell, I've gone "down" 3 belt loops/holes (whatever you call them) in 2 1/2 months!
Is it just me, or does anyone else seem to have this trouble with scales. I want to change my weight here on mfp to what the digital scale says, but that makes me feel like a liar and like I've taken a hundred steps backwards! What should I do? Part of me just wants to keep trekking along the way I've been doing, training for my Half Marathon in October, keeping my daily calorie goal at 2100 though I hardly meet that. But then another part of me wants to slash my calorie goal to 1200 but I am breastfeeding and as my mileage picks up (long runs increase 1 mile each weekend, this weekend will be 7 miles and my 2 weekly runs are 4 miles each but will increase to 5 miles each next week), I will need those 2100 calories.
I don't know what to do!!!!! :sad:

Replies

• JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If it were me...I'd keep going on as I was because you're obviously making great strides! Just because you're scale is off, doesn't mean you've lost any less weight...you just started at a different place. What about changing your start weight and your current weight so it'll still show the same amount of weight loss? My scale is crazy too..I feel like its pretty accurate but depending on where its sitting on the floor it can be off by a couple of pounds which drives me crazy! Don't get discouraged...you're doing great! :)
  • AnHadley1987
    Options
    If it were me...I'd keep going on as I was because you're obviously making great strides! Just because you're scale is off, doesn't mean you've lost any less weight...you just started at a different place. What about changing your start weight and your current weight so it'll still show the same amount of weight loss? My scale is crazy too..I feel like its pretty accurate but depending on where its sitting on the floor it can be off by a couple of pounds which drives me crazy! Don't get discouraged...you're doing great! :)

I went ahead and changed what I had on here, as much as it sucks but when I weighed myself last Monday at 152, then I weighed myself this Monday at 150 lbs, this morning I weighed in at 149.2 lbs so I am happy that it's going down. I think as long as my running mileage keeps increasing each week I should be able to lose 1-2 lbs a week hopefully, heck my runs are feeling easier and easier as well.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had one of those plain bathroom scales for 2 years now, I weighed myself yesterday at 145-147 lbs, reason I say it like that is because I have to adjust the arrow back to zero every time, but once I step off it is back to 3 lbs so I am not sure. I was guessing that I've lost a total of 13 lbs since giving birth. This same scale said I was at 164 lbs when I gave birth 4 months ago (gaining 30 lbs total). Yesterday I purchased a: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Health-o-meter-Silver-Body-Fat-Monitoring-Scale/10264537 and it says I weigh 152 lbs with 34% body fat :indifferent: . How can there be 6 or so lbs difference? Now I feel like crap, and am questioning that stupid old scale!!!!! I look in the mirror, it's obvious I've slimmed down, I've lost 2 1/2 inches on my waist line, 1 inch off my thighs. Hell, I've gone "down" 3 belt loops/holes (whatever you call them) in 2 1/2 months!
    Is it just me, or does anyone else seem to have this trouble with scales. I want to change my weight here on mfp to what the digital scale says, but that makes me feel like a liar and like I've taken a hundred steps backwards! What should I do? Part of me just wants to keep trekking along the way I've been doing, training for my Half Marathon in October, keeping my daily calorie goal at 2100 though I hardly meet that. But then another part of me wants to slash my calorie goal to 1200 but I am breastfeeding and as my mileage picks up (long runs increase 1 mile each weekend, this weekend will be 7 miles and my 2 weekly runs are 4 miles each but will increase to 5 miles each next week), I will need those 2100 calories.

First off, I'd say the scale has been off the same ammount the whole time. So since you've changed what you weigh now, I would change the starting weight.
    Second, you need at least 1800 calories or so a day because of the breastfeeding. A little more for the 4 miles you run each day. I agree you should stick with what you have been doing.
  • AnHadley1987
    Options

First off, I'd say the scale has been off the same ammount the whole time. So since you've changed what you weigh now, I would change the starting weight.
    Second, you need at least 1800 calories or so a day because of the breastfeeding. A little more for the 4 miles you run each day. I agree you should stick with what you have been doing.

I am guess there was a 5 lb difference between them, so I will change my starting weight to 165 instead o 160 or whatever I had it on. I've stuck to my 1800-2000 calories a day, my weekly runs have increased to 5 miles each and then the long runs on the weekend are increasing 1 mile each week until October, this coming weekend I am running 9 miles. Since buying the digital scale I've gone from 152 lbs to 148.8 lbs so things are looking good, and I am able to fit into my size 9 jeans that I haven't worn since 1st-2nd trimester!!!