My diet for Ozzy

Options
Ozzyzmommy
Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
I just wanted to share with you about a thank you card I just received from Ozzy;z vet..

About 4 months ago I took Ozzy in for his rabies shot, and when he was weighed he had lost 5 lbs, The Dr had been telling for years that he needed to lose weight...
So to make sure he is to stay with me for many years to come I had to figure out how to get him to diet along with me (His Mommy) :0)
So I cut down his food intake(Beneful Healthy brand).. Instead of the 1 cup twice a day, he gets now 1/2 cup twice a day, and everyday after we come back in from our " Pee pee/poo poo" walk he got 1 mini munch bone.. now he only gets 1/2 ... He never noticed the difference in his treat..
Then to keep him from begging for my food I started boiling chicken breasts, and while I eat I give him thin strips of no more then 1/4 oz of chicken.. I tare them into small strips and throw them around the house, so he doesn't beg because he is getting exercise and chicken to boot...
Well when the Dr asked me how I did it I told her, she asked if she could have other clients with weight problems contact me, I said sure :)
Well I just received a letter of thanks from her and her office and she said other clients have been coming in and weighing less
It sure made me feel good :0) So I thought I would share this with you :)
Thank you for reading my post

Ozzyzmommy

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thats great! Ive got one dog that need to lose and one that needs to gain.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Peanut can be a real porker if I don't watch what he eats. I usually feed him a little over a cup of food a day, if his weight goes up than his cup gets leveled out a little more closely until he loses a little and if I start feeling to many ribs than I round it out a little more. I always use to have dogs that I could just free range feed but the pugs (especially Peanut) proved that if I put down food they would eat until they couldn't walk. It took a long time but he finally got down to a healthy weight and has pretty much maintained it for the past few years.
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    Aww I just love this story! :-) My two pups ( Stella and Bruno) are Chihuahuas and any bit of weight on or off makes a difference ( just like me, their shorty mama). They usually hover around 6.5-7 lbs and at one point, they both crept up to 8 lbs (thanks to the boyfriend with all the treats he'd give them!) Within that timeframe, I changed their food and apparently wasn't feeding them enough with the ratio of wet to dry. They both went down to under 6 within a couple of months and my vet out in Cali said now they were too underweight- smh! Finally, figured the ratio out and started cooking them sme chicken/steak and now they are back at their maintenance weight. I plan on having my babies live a long happy life with their fur-mama, so they'd finally gained, and I finally lost some so we are all happy!

Stella and Bruno's Fur-mama
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Wow..... Very Nice : ) Great job! And congrats to ozzy for losing his 5 lbs too.... You know it takes a bit of Willpower for the parents not to feed the babies soo much... So good job on your willpower too. Isn't this almost the same as if they were human? Yes.....And sometimes Moms think its best to stuff their children... But its not best to do that... Less is more in dog years.. Or the "right portion" is more in dog years. And the cleaner the better too. We steam brown rice and carrots each week... And give ours the "Bill Jac" dry that stays in their bowl.... And 2 times per day they get a tbsp of brown rice, a baby carrot, and tbsp this really good can stuff that looks like human grade food. It has real chicken in it. Good Job again. Sure those other people do appreciate you for your help with this..
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oh I did forget to tell you that my Chi~Weenie Ozzy yes has lost weight and within his diet he also gets watermelon in the :Am ( He LOVES his melon-melon) and Sugar Free ice cream in the :Pm (only one small scooper) And boy if I forget he loudly reminds me barking and scratching at the fridge...
    I guess he figures since he has to be on diet with Mom that he deserves his dessert lol.....