North End Goings On

CdnPgnMom
CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
I thought I would start a thread where we could post different things that are going on in the North End, and elsewhere in the city. Feel free to post anything you wish to inform others of as well.

Replies

• CdnPgnMom
    Here are a few things I know of that are going on in the next couple of weeks:

Street Festival - Saturday, August 18th, 2012, 12pm to 10:30pm - It is on McGregor Street between Mountain Avenue and St. John's Avenue. There will be live entertainment, kids entertainment, craft tables, BBQ and beverages and activities the whole family can enjoy!

Picnic in the Park - Saturday, August 25th, 2012, 11am to 4pm - St. John's Park

Movie in the Park - Saturday, August 25th, 2012, 8:30pm - Kildonan Park. Bring lawn chairs/blankets and watch We Bought a Zoo on the big screen. There will be concessions there, or bring your own snacks.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
  • KristaTellier
    AUSTIN STREET FESTIVAL

Sunday, Aug 19
    1:00 - 4:00 pm
    FREE
    Live music & dancers, lunch, kids crafts & entertainment, etc.
  • KristaTellier
    DUFFERIN WALKING GROUP

Every Tuesday @ 6:45pm
    Walk for an hour in the community
    Meet in the lobby of North Centennial (90 Sincalir)
  • KristaTellier
    Value Village's next 50% off sale will be on Monday, August 27th.
  • KristaTellier
    St. John’s Residents Association is hosting a Community Forum on Gangs at our AGM on Saturday, September 29, 2012 from 2-5pm at the Ralph Brown Community Centre at 460 Andrews Street. There will be food, prizes and entertainment by the Norman Chief Memorial Dancers and the Derrick Cundy band. Come on out and join the discussion about this issue and stay for the celebration!
  • CdnPgnMom
    Not necessarily "North End" but on October 20th you can your fam and go the theatre to enjoy a free movie and a selection of snacks at $2 each. Follow the link for more information!

http://www.cineplex.com/Promos/Starlight/Community.aspx?cmpid=SCENE_CmtyDayOct2012
  • KristaTellier
    Not necessarily "North End" but on October 20th you can your fam and go the theatre to enjoy a free movie and a selection of snacks at $2 each. Follow the link for more information!

http://www.cineplex.com/Promos/Starlight/Community.aspx?cmpid=SCENE_CmtyDayOct2012

I go every year - I can't believe I missed it this year! :(
  • KristaTellier
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Come to St. John’s Library for a holiday celebration of seasonal stories and festive games. Make a Christmas ornament to keep or to give as a gift. For families:

Tuesday, December 4

6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Visit or call 204-986-4689 to register.
  • KristaTellier
    ** FREE GROCERY SHUTTLE SERVICE **

Organized by the North End Food Security Network

Every Tuesday morning for North End Residents

Shuttle pick-up:

1st pick-up at 9:15-9:30 am

2nd pick-up at 10:30-10:45 am

Rules apply to all participants:
    -Must live in the North End
    -Must be ready on time
    -Shopping will be at Sobey’s or Extra Foods

*Participants will be picked up and dropped off at home*

Max: 3 people per shuttle

Call 204-927-2342 to book a ride
  • KristaTellier
    I got the following email from Troy at Community Vibes. I know Troy and think he runs a great community organization. If anyone would like to participate in this and has anything to donate, you can contact Troy directly or you can give the items to me and I'll make sure he gets them in time for the barrel send.

Hello Friends

We, at Community Vibes, are seeking your help and support for Jamaica due to the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. Many homes have been washed away from this natural disaster and I believe we can afford to help this small beautiful island that we frequent and enjoy. My darling mother is a native of Jamaica (Clarendon) and has started an initiative. She has asked me to help and, in turn friends, I'm asking you.

All we require is non-perishable food items, clothing, and/or toiletries (i.e., toothbrushes, towels, etc.) for the barrels she is sending in the second week of January. Please help!! Send your item(s) to Community Vibes Inc., 408-B Cathedral Ave., Winnipeg, MB R2W 0X8. No money is needed – just the items mentioned above.

If you need more information, feel free to leave a message for us at (204) 808-6407.

Thank you for your generosity in advance.

Troy, CV President/Founder
  • KristaTellier
    9th Annual...
    Lighting Up The Avenue

Thursday, December 6, 2012
    5:00-7:30pm
    Ndinawe Youth Resource Centre
    (472 Selkirk Avenue)
  • KristaTellier
    A mass email I received from Tyson Cormack...

Hello Fellow Folks,

We are hosting a party on November 30th at the Winnipeg Polish Canadian Legion #246. (1335 Main Street)

There will be live music and dancing, a crokinole tournament, silent auction prizes, 50:50 draw, catering, there will be a bar and coffee & tea, and guest speakers from the North End A Team Co-op Federation.

Live entertainment for the night will be:

Rhymes 4 Folks AKA The West Broadway Hip-Hop Orchestra
    Carlen Jupiter
    Franklin Fernando: Rastamils unplugged
    Jenna Liiciious

Music First DJ's:
    Beezneez - will be pollenating your souls
    Tube Screamer - bringing the Block Rockin' Beets
    & various guest speakers

The North End Crokinole Tournament will be hosted with teams of two squaring off in a double elimination tournament. The Crokinole Cup will be awarded to the winners, and various other prizes will be awarded to other participants.

We also plan on hosting a Midnight Farmers' Market, so bring a bag with you and leave with local organic carrots, beets, onions and other winter veggies.

Food For Folks can be described as:
    - Connecting community and inner-city neighbourhoods with local farmers, produce and livestock. Supporting inner-city food production, urban agriculture, fostering social enterprise, creating jobs and building wealth.

We welcome you into a beautiful old hall in the North End to help us celebrate the founding of this family we call the North End A Team Co-op Federation:
    Food For Folks, Music First, AYO! (Aboriginal Youth Opportunities): Food & Food Security; Music, Culture & Management; Indigenous Capacity Building.

Please help us raise funds for our new organizations as we through a party you won't want to miss.

Tickets cost $20 each, or $10 for youth, $10 for low-income

Tickets on Sale at:
    Mondragon @ 91 Albert
    Organic Planet @ 877 Westminster
    Jonnies Sticky Buns @ 941 Portage
    Kustom Kulture @ 470 River Ave.
    University of Winnipeg Information Booth
    Pollocks Hardware @ 1407 Main Street

Food For Folks: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Food-For-Folks/126186370758532?ref=hl
    Aboriginal Youth Opportunities: http://www.ayomovement.com/
    Music First: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2464371248/?fref=ts

"I Pity the Fool who don't care 'bout their neighbourhood!"
    - North End A Team

** A-N-D **

As well. The Point Douglas Residents Committee will be moving back to regular public meetings. All community members are welcome. Please come to meeting early to get on speakers list, if you would like a spot.
  • KristaTellier
    The Forks has a lot of great stuff going on in January:
    http://www.theforks.com/events/calendar-of-events#event_1615_20130106
  • KristaTellier
    Join us Sunday January 13 at Fort Whyte Alive (1961 McCreary Rd) to ski, snowshoe, skate and snow play! Between 12 and 4 pm there will be
    •FREE learn to ski workshops
    •FREE use of ski and snowshoe equipment
    •FREE admission

Check out the details for this and other Snow Trek events: http://www.winnipeginmotion.ca/news/special/?id=2961
  • KristaTellier
    FREE WINTER CARNIVAL:
    North Centennial Recreation and Leisure Centre - 90 Sinclair Street.
    Saturday, February 23, from Noon-5:00PM.