Music and Exercise Unite!

Options
Hey there everybody!

I made a discovery a couple months ago and had no idea if it had any sort of technical basis or reason behind it, maybe someone here has the answer!

So here's the deal: I'm an opera singer getting my Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance. I've only been singing with a teacher for about a year, but I've been in a number of shows already. This summer, I was in a performance of "The Merry Widow", an English comedy operetta. It was an excellent show and a lot of fun to put on, but the main reason that I bring it up is because of the discovery I made during the rehearsals and performances.

I was cast as a "Grizette", which is a can-can dancer. We had to perform a pretty involved kick line sequence while singing at a fortissimo (ff) volume. Let me tell you, I have never experienced anything like it before. I sweat more during that 6 minute dance/song than I usually do at the gym after 30 minutes. Singing (opera especially) takes a great amount of technical skill which requires almost constant core engagement in order to breathe properly, I think that this played a huge role in the sweat.

My guess is that this intense feeling of exertion had to do with mixing intense cardio with this contraction of the core muscles. Maybe it was just the dancing, but I can't help feeling that the singing had something to do with it. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

So sorry for the wall of text, by the way!!

*Tl;DR Cardio while singing opera exhausted me and made me sweat more than I usually do after a long time at the gym. Could the combo of core engagement and cardio have to do with it?*

Replies