school beginning.....when do you workout?

Options
sds76
sds76 Posts: 215 Member
We are getting ready to start our school schedule back up. I include PE in our schedule which could entail kickball, walks, baseball, volleyball, bike riding, or active games on the kinect in times of bad weather(sometimes I let the older kids use the treadmill as another option). However, my workout needs to be faster, longer, and more intense than theirs. I'm thinking I will need to get up early and get my workout done before we start school or I could do it during quite reading time(baby's nap time). I'd like to say I could do it in the evening but I'm afraid life would happen and I just wouldn't get to it.
So
Do you workout separate from PE time?
When do you workout?

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet. Right now I either dance with them to music or do a video workout when they watch tv. I sometimes do heavy gardening - if I'm pouring sweat, it's exercise to me. How that will change as we get back to doing school, not sure yet.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We break from 11:30 - 1:00 most days. My 9-year-old son needs it, I need it. Usually while he's finishing up math, I change into my exercise clothes. Then we both go downstairs - he gets to play wii while I run. After 30-45 minutes, I make his lunch and then he eats while I shower. I eat while he works on his geography or science. His PE is mainly riding his bike, shooting hoops, or jumping on the trampoline, now that the public pool is closed.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We never 'end' school so we try to incorporate exercise into everyday. She takes breaks when we go on vacation and when we moved, but she doesnt take summer vacations. She comes with us during most exercise times.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Getting my own workout in before school works best for me. I have some DVD workouts I enjoy, and also have a stat bike and treadmill.

Dawn
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    We school year-round also, taking breaks as needed. I try to get my workout in before we get started with our day, but if I'm late getting to it, I let the kids join in and we call it PE. They really like doing jumping jacks, squats, lunges, pushups, and planks with Mama. The older ones compete against each other. The little ones like to imitate what the older ones are doing.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing workouts lately, but in the past I have either put in a DVD during the day and let my 6 year old go along with it as he wants to, or gone out after supper for a quick walk around the neighborhood. I'm hoping in a couple of years we will be more evenly matched in fitness ability... but right now he either won't keep up with me or can run circles around me, and I never know which it will be to get in a good workout (and still working on learning to ride a bike, or that would be a great option for exercise during the day). We haven't been doing PE in school either beyond recess time to play outside or with friends (or some organized sports), and I need to get that going. I just have ZERO good memories of PE being anything more than a time to be humiliated (and I learned nothing about sports during it), so am having a tough time figuring out how to get started, especially when most PE stuff I see requires teams... which is tough with only one child at home!
  • gluey99
    gluey99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to workout in the early morning or else it does not get done. Currently, I have a membership to 24 Hr Fitness and try to get in 3-5 times a week. Some weeks are better than others- it is a work in progress. ;)

My kids are in a PE class that meets once a week for 1.5 hours during the school year. I am going to try to start walking around the neighborhood pond twice during our lunch time with the kids. That will equal about a mile. Every little bit helps, right?
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work out before we start school (and before the kids get up) I like the time to myself :) I also run a couple of times a week in the evening. Again this is done alone. Some times I will have them ride bikes while I run, but then I'm so busy watching them and watching the traffic that it just isn't relaxing and I really need the time to unwind.

During the day we may stop and play a wii game or do a short exercise video or just go play, but it's just more to break up the day. They are all involved in some sort of sport, so I'm not too worried about incorporating anything into our day and calling it P. E.
  • ImBJuled
    ImBJuled Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Our schedule is different almost every day of the week. So, I workout at a different time each day. My kids' have activities such as TaeKwonDo and Figure Skating (plus, I give them a list of exercises to do daily on their own). When I do a class at the Y, my kids will usually swim. Sometimes I run or skate during my daughter's figure skating lessons (depending on which session and which kids are with me). I'm really big on teaching my kids how to work independently. Most days I only give assignments and answer questions now. I can workout almost any time of the day now because they can do most things on their own. Also, my older two are terrific babysitters if I decide to go out for a run. My biggest problem during this season of our homeschool is that we are so busy outside of the home and every day's schedule is different.

When my kids were younger, everyone had "quiet time" from 2-4 every weekday afternoon (the 0-4 year olds had to nap, the others just had to be quiet). I would either get up at 5am to workout before the husband left for work (DVD or run), or I would workout during quiet time. Either way, that time in the afternoon was mine. I would even change my answering machine (voicemail) message during the week to say something like, "Hello, we do school between the hours of nine and noon and quiet time from two to four. If you've called during that time, please call back later or leave a message. I'll try to return your call at my earliest convenience." I always silenced the ringer during those hours.

I hope you're able to figure out a time to fit that workout in :)

~Blair
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have to workout in the morning otherwise I lose ALL motivation to. So I workout before the kids wakeup. Hubby works from home so when I bike they stay with him. If they wake up while I'm gone they work on chores while I'm gone so we can eat breakfast when I cone back. Then I shower while they finish any morning chores.
  • ImBJuled
    ImBJuled Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have to workout in the morning otherwise I lose ALL motivation to. So I workout before the kids wakeup. Hubby works from home so when I bike they stay with him. If they wake up while I'm gone they work on chores while I'm gone so we can eat breakfast when I cone back. Then I shower while they finish any morning chores.

My husband works from home now too. Isn't it a blessing?!
  • rmarley05
    rmarley05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We've been back for a week and I'm trying to find a routine. We aren't morning people, so me getting up before them seems so impossible lol! I've done my DVD a few times while they sat and went over sight words and spelling words. I usually do my main exercise while the youngest is asleep. There have been many a nights though that I have made myself get on the treadmill at 10:30! I know that's not good for me and rest, but I didn't want to go to sleep without the workout! I have my alarm set for 6 so I can get up and be done before they wake. That would be my ideal situation, getting done with the treadmill before they wake!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I can't manage to get moving very early so early afternoon seems to be my workout time. I like the tae bo videos a lot. This is after all of their school work is done. Now, as soon as I get myself motivated I will be up and out the door BEFORE school to get some running in.
  • vbutlerb
    vbutlerb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Early morning tennis, bicycling mid morning, geocaching in afternoon. Kayak on the weekends.