When did you last wash your bike?

TDGee
TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
Yes, you are supposed to occasionally wash them.
For me, about a week ago using White Lightning wash and a good rinse. It would appear that all of the dust (I live in dusty dairy country) combined with the gallons of sweat and drool that I drip onto my bike makes a gunky paste in places.
What about you?

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    I wipe it down after every ride. Wash it every other week along with cleaning/lubing the drive chain.

ETA: A clean bike is a fast bike!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Maybe that's my problem. All the sweat and grime I pick up on the road is slowing me down! :laugh:
    I do occasionally wipe it down, but I need to get some lube.
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Just last weekend. Used hot soapy dish detergent and then used a degreaser on the chain/cassette. I had forgotten that my chain and cassette was grey. lol!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    i need to take mine in full a tuneup and cleaning and a bar wrapping ....... tour de scottsdale is creeping up on me
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I wipe it down after every ride. Wash it every other week along with cleaning/lubing the drive chain.

ETA: A clean bike is a fast bike!

This
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Well, I got caught in a downpour the other day, does that count? Actually, it made it dirtier. The tires have channels that shoot the water forward. When I got back to my car, I had a huge trail of mud from my butt up into my hair LOL. Because my saddle is vented and the rear tire shot the dirt and water right up through it LOL.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    I rinse my mountain bikes off after almost every ride, clean them about once every few months and let my mechanic do the deep clean about twice a year.
  • ra0828
    ra0828 Posts: 5
    we are supposed to WASH them? :)
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    I wait until cross season.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    If nothing else I keep my drivetrain clean and lubed often and clean the entire bike after every few rides. Roadie and ride 300-400 miles per month.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Just got my EX9 back from the mechanic after it's semiannual deep cleaning and he noticed a crack in the seat tube, good thing I know some welders.
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    In this "dry" UK summer we're having I do a quick clean of the mountain bike after every ride (drive chain, brakes, fork) and a fuller clean each weekend. I can't wait until the winter and its a bit drier :laugh:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I detail my bikes like an insane person. But, I haven't been riding lately, so, not recently.

To wash, I use Meguiar's all purpose cleaner highly diluted, with a clean microfiber towel on the painted parts.
    I use it a little stronger in combination with a boar's hair brush for the harder to reach places.
    The hardest to reach bits, I use a wood skewer to scrape away the grime.

Highest concentration with a stiff brush to get the tires.

Then, rinsed and dried with air to get the water out of every nook and cranny.

I do the frame in Collinite 845, which is a very slick wax that I apply by fingertip. I hit the shiny metal bits with Flitz metal polish.
    All the black/rubber/plastic bits I do with Aerospace 303, which protects them from UV and leaves a nice non-slick black satin finish.

I'll spend hours on each bike. Love it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I OH'ed the front hub and degreased the front wheel four days ago. Did the rear and the rest of the bike two days ago.

I use WD-40 and, white vinegar, Simple Green.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I always wipe her down and keep her clean. She's my Sexy B!tch! I have to keep her clean and pretty! I clean and lube my chain about once a month depending on how much I ride.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Not sure I've ever "washed" any of them... but I wipe them down periodically.

Road bikes - after any bad weather ride, and occasionally to bring back that new bike shine before a long ride on a really nice day.

Mtn bikes - any time they get dirty enough that I can't check for frame cracks/damage.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Wash the whole bike? About a month ago since I got very muddy going off road and getting caught in a storm. Drivetrain? Do a lube/quick clean almost weekly especially with the weather and being exposed tot he elements while at work. Do a deep clean probably once a month. Sometimes though when things start making noise is my reminder to clean!
  • johnmtrendler
    johnmtrendler Posts: 22 Member
    ...resurrecting an old thread ;)
    I generally wipe mine down before a ride and clean the chain about once a week. Every two to three weeks I'll give it a really good cleaning - soapy water, degreaser, etc. - that said, it has been about three weeks since it's been really clean
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    I have my mechanic deal with that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBTVU9JDrA

(actually, the carbon bike gets a proper wash down once a month or so if I'm riding reasonably regularly, and the 'cross bike pretty much gets washed down after every ride, because I only seem to ride it now when it's raining or i'm riding it off-road in the mud and grime...)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    This thread hits home. I am super lazy about keeping my road bike clean. Wanted to take my pedals off to find that from never lubing on occasion, not even the bike shop can get them off. Fortunately I need to replace my crankset anyway, but I would have cried if they were power pedals or something expensive. Lesson learned: I will be cleaning and maintaining my bike at regular intervals from now on..just bought all of the tools and cleaning products.