GTA 5 Labed Best Game Ever.....

Options
The trailer leaves a lot to be desired. Judging from what I saw, it looks like any other GTA release. After reading Mr. Jone's blog, I can't say that I agree with the idea of GTA 5 being the ultimate game play; perhaps this is because I tend to lean towards games like Skyrim and Assassins Creed - titles that he clearly stated as lacking literary substance; AC having "horribly contrived game mechanics" and Skryim being just a "silly dragon fantasy." Perhaps, but I can only speak for myself how much I enjoy getting lost in the fantasy of fighting dragons, treasure hunting or roaming the streets of Acre as a bad@$$ assassin.

I have to agree with this reader when he so eloquently stated (wink)

"....Now, hey, if you think killing prostitutes, flying planes (talk about horribly-contrived mechanics, eh?), dealing drugs and blowing up stuff has more meaning than role playing through a fantastically detailed world filled with a plethora of Mythological and fictitious creatures and scenarios as well as extremely accurate depictions of what our world was like during the Crusades and the Rennaissance, then I respect your opinion. However, I will be damned if I, or anyone with any discernible trace of intellect, would dare to even consider agreeing with it."

But I digress....here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.nowgamer.com/columns/nowgamer-team-blog/1153941/gta_5_why_its_already_the_best_game_ever_made.html

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It is not. Misguided they are.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of the GTA games. I only got about 45 min into the last one and gave it up--everything felt clunky. Driving was awkward, fights felt terribly clumbsy, I'm simply not a fan. If I want to drive around crashing into stuff, I'll play Burnout Paradise, If I want to wander around simply killing things, I'll play Unreal or Halo. Most often, though, I want a good story along with my action and adventure and that is where Elder Scrolls, AC, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc. come in.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of the GTA games. I only got about 45 min into the last one and gave it up--everything felt clunky. Driving was awkward, fights felt terribly clumbsy, I'm simply not a fan. If I want to drive around crashing into stuff, I'll play Burnout Paradise, If I want to wander around simply killing things, I'll play Unreal or Halo. Most often, though, I want a good story along with my action and adventure and that is where Elder Scrolls, AC, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc. come in.

I will criticise GTA IV for a lot of things but I don't think I can falter any GTA game from Vice City onwards for it's story. GTA IV is still, in my opinion, the worst of the series... thankfully Ballad Of Gay Tony came along and fixed it.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The problem I always have with GTA is that the story starts off strong, but they seem to feel like they have to stretch it out into a 40 hour game, so they throw in everything and the kitchen sink, and at some point I get bored and stop playing. I made it around 26 hours in GTA4, and stopped, but I did beat Red Dead Redemption, because I loved the setting and characters.

Saint's Row the Third didn't have a great story, but it was concise and you could wrap it up in 10-15 hours if you wanted to and then do all the extra stuff in the game at that point. I like that better personally.
  • catch622
    catch622 Posts: 18
    Options
    The problem I always have with GTA is that the story starts off strong, but they seem to feel like they have to stretch it out into a 40 hour game, so they throw in everything and the kitchen sink, and at some point I get bored and stop playing. I made it around 26 hours in GTA4, and stopped, but I did beat Red Dead Redemption, because I loved the setting and characters.

Saint's Row the Third didn't have a great story, but it was concise and you could wrap it up in 10-15 hours if you wanted to and then do all the extra stuff in the game at that point. I like that better personally.

QFT.

I finished all the GTA and RD games, but the only one I was truly satisfied with concerning story was GTA3.

RDR left much to be desired and I'll leave it at that (for story). It took me like a year to finish the story, and I just hated the last chapter, and the real lack of a twist.

GTA4 just didn't do it for me... I was never really drawn into that game. I finally finished it many months after release.

I have my hopes up for GTA5, because I hope they return to the quality days of 3 and VC. Plus, games in general right now, suck.

I'm tired of seeing a slightly new variation of Madden, COD, Battlefield/MOH every year. I want something new and creative... like Dishonored. /end rant.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I game a lot of FPS, hack and slash, and RPGs but I really dislike GTA and similar games, just plain boring. They'd have had a really good storyline for me to like it, which most of them doesn't . Played Saints Row 2 lately, but can't even bring myself to like it.