Tried-and-true tofu recipes needed

Options
laserturkey
laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
I'm vegetarian and gluten-free with a meat-eating husband and son. I'm struggling to come up with a variety of protein sources, and I'm sure they are sick of beans and lentils. My husband tolerates tofu okay when it's baked to get a meatier, tougher texture, but I haven't found a reliable recipe to bake it.

I'm interested in any recipes someone might share that would help me work tofu into our family meals in a carnivore-friendly form.

Replies

• NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much there with you. My little one really likes organic "tofood" diced small and sauteed in coconut oil. Toward the end I toss in a whole pile of baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. Let the spinach wilt a bit and the tomatoes heat. All told you're talking ten minutes including prep time. I like the tofu a bit browned so extra if you want that step. It kind of reminds me of an egg dish.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will try my best to explain what I do but I am always winging it...

set oven to 425F
    Chop tofu into cubes
    put in baking dish
    add juice of 3-4 lemons and "a bunch" of olive oil (2TB or more if you can spare the calories)
    add powdered rosemary or thyme, or a whole sprig of fresh herbs

cook for about 10 minutes, then check, when some edges turn brown give it a stir. if it gets dry add more lemon juice. you want to have a little residual fluid when it is done otherwise the pan is a crispy mess. total cooking time is about 15-20 minutes.

when done I add something salty like Braggs, salt, pesto, tomato sauce, curry sauce, etc. Sometimes I mix in tahini if I have calories to spare. sometimes i toss it with veggies.
  • ewa1124
    ewa1124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're looking more for tofu that replicates meat than tofu that is more like tofu (does that makes sense?). In that case I suggest freezing the tofu prior to cooking with it. When it defrosts it will have a chewier texture that a lot of people (especially meat-eaters) prefer. Also try pressing the tofu prior to cooking. Line a plate with towels, place the tofu blocks on top, cover with more towels, and put something heavy on top. The weight will press out some of the water and make it firmer.

You might also want to try tempeh or soy curls!
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I concur about freezing tofu - it really changes the texture and density. I like it MUCH better that way and it's a bit more 'meat-like,' or maybe I should say less 'tofu-like'!
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If it's available near you, the Wildwood brand "super firm" tofu is really great; it's easy to cook with, and has the texture you're looking for even without freezing it.

Just made this last night and it was great:

http://chowvegan.com/2008/06/06/chicken-fried-tofu/

I'm sure you can tinker for a gluten-free version
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have Appetite for Reduction? The Red Thai Tofu in it is amazing and I bake instead of fry the tofu.
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with tofu is a ginger marinade, which is just gluten free tamari, sesame oil, and tuns of ground ginger - and then fry it up! Pair with a kale salad or something :) and I think safeway and/or health food stores (where i live they both do) carry the mandarin pressed firm tofu - that is the way to go!! im always to lazy to press my own tofu, but i hate the texture if its not!

I have to go out now but I'll post more recipes (i can get my friends to eat tofu) o you can send me a message!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Quick sweet and sour tofu...
    Buy ready-made
    tempura mix....
    sweet sour sauce
    heat deep fryer

mix up batter--set aside
    heat sweet and sour sauce--add fresh green & red peppers and pineapple chunks

Cut tofu in large cubes
    Marinate in soy sauce-ginger, sesame oil, orange zest--dip in batter

Dip the tofu in tempura batter and fry--and drain in serving dish
    Pour hot sweet sour sauce and veggies over the gold brown tofu

Serve over a bed of piping hot rice
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    get firm tofu and press it out (pressing with make it more dense or 'meaty'). Cut in thinish slices about an inch long, quarter of an inch thick. Fry up in a little vegetable oil, not very much. Cook until tofu is golden and crispy. turn off.

Steam some green beans (french cut) or any other veggies you like separately.

Add in steamed vegetables with tofu and your favorite sauce, I use teriyaki,heat until warm and veggies get in the flavor, usually 5 minutes. I also add in seseme seeds, but some people add in almonds, ect. I just add what I have. Then serve. I don't use rice, but sometimes I will eat with some instant udon noodles if I have them.
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the ginger baked tofu from the Kind diet:

GINGER BAKED TOFU (from The Kind Diet)

Serves 2-4

1 lb firm tofu
    1/3 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
    1 Tbspn toasted or untoasted sesame oil
    2 Tbspns minced fresh ginger
    1 Tbspn finely chopped garlic
    1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
    2 Tbspns umeboshi vinegar (rice wine vinegar works just fine)
    1/2 tspn crushed red-pepper flakes (optional)
    1 tspn brown rice syrup (optional)
    Finely chopped scallions for garnish (optional)

Cut tofu in half width-wise, then slice in half again. You will be left with 4 tofu "steaks".

Pour 3/4 cup of water into a bowl. Whisk in the shoyu, oil, ginger, garlic, vinegars, red-pepper flakes (if desired), and rice syrup and pour over the tofu, covering it. An 8"x6" dish works perfectly. Marinate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Either drain the baking dish of the majority of marinade, or place tofu on a baking sheet & baste with the marinade. Reserve the remaining marinade.

Bake tofu for 15-20 mins. Turn the tofu pieces with a spatula, baste again with the marinade, bake for 10-15 mins longer. Garnish with scallions & serve warm.
  • eggplantdarling
    eggplantdarling Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivore's Tofu "Ricotta" is really delicious when mixed in with your everyday pasta & marinara...

Ingredients:
    1 pkg extra firm tofu
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    2 tbsp italian seasoning
    1 tsp+ lemon juice
    vegan parmesan (opt)

Drain and press the tofu well, crumble it up and mix all the ingredients together. Makes for a tasty filling for stuffed shells, lasagna, on salad, or just mixed in to your normal Italian-style pasta dish. I like to add more lemon juice to mine, but adjust to whatever your tastes are. :)
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    You could also try smoked tofu, if it's available in your area. Works wonders in salads and oven dishes.
    It can be high in sodium, but boy is it worth it. :)

If you want to try other meat analogues - see if there's an asian store around, they usually store some alternatives. Mine sells vegetarian chicken, squid, prawns, duck, beef and pork. The chicken is so good I recently fooled a couple of meat eaters.
  • nzscalebreaker
    nzscalebreaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just replying about tofu. I found that if you freeze it, it's lovely and chewy. It freezes yellow but returns to it's normal colour when defrosted. I squeeze out all the water because it's kind of spongy and then I break it up and fry it with anything - onions, garlic, sesame seeds, soya sauce, smoked paprika etc. If you keep it over a hot heat it fries beautifully. You can add tomatoes and mixed herbs to it and have it with rice or spaghetti. It's really delicious. Hope this is helpful
  • smesch
    smesch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dry-frying is the absolute best way I've found to make tofu: http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

There's always seitan and tempeh as well...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm loving all these tofu ideas! Thanks for the responses so far. :-)
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of trouble browning tofu without oil. Thank you for this post!
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too like the freeze, thaw, press method. For a quick method that everyone here enjoys, once the tofu is pressed (there's a company that sells an awesome tofu press), i lightly coat in garbonzo or brown rice flour and fry in a small amount of oil. Saute is more accurate. You get a crispy skin, with a 'meaty' texture. Yum!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Another method for tofu I've been experimenting with recently is to cut your firm or extra firm block into the size "strips" you want. i haven't ever cut into cubes, but more like 1/4" -3/8" thick pieces. (I sub cut the block a couple times, then cut the pieces). Then I put them on my clean microwave carousel glass - nothing coating it. This is the part I haven't perfected. It would depend on your microwave and the size and thickness of the slices. I do 3 min. at a time and turn them - less as they get closer to finished. They will dry out to a chewy consistency and turn yellowish. When they suit you, remove and place in favorite marinade for an hour to overnight. Last night I stir fried this in not too much oil (1Tbsp) until browned on both sides, then added a bunch of veggies, a little soy sauce, and quinoa for me (brown rice for hubby). Turned out really well --- we both could have eaten it "as is" and my hubby is definitely a meat eater. I think you'll be able to find some recipes yours will enjoy.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    bump, love these ideas