P90X Women: Informal Survey!

Options
JulieisaC
JulieisaC Posts: 24 Member
I'm only on my second week, and up until now I've only had access to 5lb and 10lb dumbells, which although the tens break a sweat, that's only after way too many reps. I just purchased a set of adjustable ones from some guy on Craigslist which go up to 20ish lbs each, so I wanted to gauge how much to increase, etc. Thanks for taking time to answer!

1) What's your current fitness level/goals?

2) What week/workout/round are you on in P90X?

3) What weight of dumbells did you start off with? How often/fast did you increase weight?

4) What weight are you currently lifting, and how many reps do you complete on average with, say the arms/shoulders DVD?

5) Pull ups! What are you using? Resistance bands? Chair? How many reps and how do you gauge progress?

Appreciate your time!!!

Replies

• mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have completed 3 rounds of P90X.

I have adjustable weights that are 5-25lbs each. When I first started, I had to guess what would be a good starting weight...if it was too easy I adjusted before continuing on...but each week, I tried to increase the weight (this is why its really important to track your progress). I never needed anymore than 25 lbs :)

I started out using the bands because I didn't have a pull up bar...they give a nice amount of resistance, but if I was being honest with myself, they didn't really challenge me so I bought a pull up bar at Walmart. When I first started with the pull up bar, I could not do one without a chair!! Now each time it calls for pullups, I at least try to do one unassisted..... Now every night for extra work, I do at least 3 sets of 7-10 pullups. I throw in a few wide fly pull ups too - just to see how many I can do!

I really love P90X...except after the first round, I substituted TurboFire and Insanity for the cardio days. The cardio on P90X just wasn't challenging enough.

The other really nice thing about P90X is you work at your own pace, at your own level. Tony shows modifications also and I think he gives really good instructions on form.

I hope this was the kind of input you wanted :)
  • lcxlolo
    Options
    1) What's your current fitness level/goals? Finished P90x and Insanity. Would say I am in good shape. Still have weight I want to lose (it is very stubborn!). Currently doing Insanity Asylum. Want to lose 15 more pounds.

2) What week/workout/round are you on in P90X? Doing a hybrid of Insanity Asylum and P90x

3) What weight of dumbells did you start off with? How often/fast did you increase weight? I purchased a pull up bar to put over my bathroom doorway. Worked great for me! Also purchased 3 resistance bands. Went from using the easiest one to the hardest one!

4) What weight are you currently lifting, and how many reps do you complete on average with, say the arms/shoulders DVD? Not sure as I use the resistance bands.

5) Pull ups! What are you using? Resistance bands? Chair? How many reps and how do you gauge progress? I started off by logging every exercise in a log book.. reps, etc. Started off with a chair and one leg on it. I can now do 5-6 good pull-ups without the chair. Every time I felt stronger I would push the chair further and further back. Logging is key!

If you need any more help let me know :)