The doctor made me cry...

Options
noahsmommie
noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
I went to see a new doctor today and she recommended that I have the weight loss surgery since I have a metabolic disorder (PCOS) and diabetes. She said that the likelihood of me losing enough weight on my own is slim because "that biologically how my body is." I'm so upset. I've been teary all day. Does anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would say find a new doctor. You can lose the weight. It will be hard, but it can be done. Surgery should be a last resort.
  • noahsmommie
    Options
    That's always been my thought, too. I have no desire to have the surgery.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I want to have it done last year and my doctor talked me out of it. At that point I was 278 I had uncontrollabe blood presser, high cholesterol, and borderline diabetic. After I started losing weight I did have a small stroke after losing a little weight still would not do it. I look back it has taken a lot of work but I know I did it. your more likly to keep it off if you learn how to eat and live your life.
  • noahsmommie
    Options
    I want to have it done last year and my doctor talked me out of it. At that point I was 278 I had uncontrollabe blood presser, high cholesterol, and borderline diabetic. After I started losing weight I did have a small stroke after losing a little weight still would not do it. I look back it has taken a lot of work but I know I did it. your more likly to keep it off if you learn how to eat and live your life.

First of all, WAY TO GO!!! I see that you've lost 86 lbs. That's awesome! I feel the same way about working to keep it off. I'm not really sure that I see the benefit of the surgery. You still have to make the lifestyle changes, it's just forced. Also, when I've researched it, it appears that most people lost about 40% of their weight. I'm putting my all into this. She may never know though because I may never go back to her.
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery certainly works for some people, but only if they can control eating and exercise. It was dangerous of her to recommend it without at least working with you first.

Have you tried metformin for PCOS? I am on it and it alone resulted in a 20 pound weight loss. Also, you are going to have to cut carbs and add protein. I'm not talking about a low carb, fad diet, but simply increasing fiber and lean proteins and cutting carbs some. You can still have carbs, but you just have to be careful to have protein, too.

If you are stuck on what to eat, start by having a salad and a fruit everyday and at least one lean protein. Without seeing your food diary, I don't know where you are on eating, but I can say that my insulin resistance made me NEED carbs and even those simple changes were difficult. Consider seeing a registered dietician a few times to help you through this.

Also, if you can afford it, hire a personal trainer. I know it's expensive, but it would really help you lose without getting hurt. For us big girls, that's hard sometimes. If not, lots of videos on-line can help you get through for now. And walking is great.

I'm going to add you as a friend. You sound like you need some support! :)
  • elizabethb460
    Options
    If this is your first time to see this doctor, make it your last. You CAN do this. As hard as being overweight is on us physically, it is equally hard on us psychologically. The last thing you need is negative talk coming from an external source; you probably have enough coming from yourself, as most of us do (though I don't want to speak for you.) Give this lady the mental finger, use her words as motivation to prove yourself right. You've already made a step by opening up and seeking help. If you do choose the surgery, it's not giving up, either. The risks and benefits of surgery are unique to you and would have to be discussed with a physician who is supportive of you as a person and understands your right to make intelligent, informed decisions. Everyone is different and you would still have to do the work. Do what is best for you while surrounding yourself with support and love.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth. Regardless, just know that there are prayers coming to you from Texas.

Elizabeth
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I have PCOS (and a son named Noah :)). You can do this. I'm starting by just watching my calories. I'm going to see how that works - I know I was majorly overeating so I think this will help for now. Then when (I know it will) my weight loss slows I will start working with the carb/protein balance. And definately find a new doctor. One that listens to you and helps you find the best treatment for you! Definately look into Metformin - it can really help. Hang in there and message me if you need to chat!