helppp me find a gym workout routine!

Options
kiwi321
kiwi321 Posts: 11 Member
Can someone help me. i'm 148 pounds trying to loose 20 pounds. Can anyone give me suggestions on a gym workout i can use. for example i don't know anything about how long i should use an elliptical machine, or any of the machines at the gym.

Replies

• ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well if you're starting off from nothing, just do a half hour a few times a week. You'll probably find yourself doing more and more as you go (as you get better) and just watch how your body responds. If you start feeling and looking better you're on the right track, if not you make adjustments. There's no magic time or special formulas..
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm with J, you need to get a feel of your workouts and keep it basic for now. Make sure you learn to work your body parts evenly across. Training big muscle, and small muscles in one workout. Training two big muscles in one workout is not recommended but its possible. Just trying to do everything right the first time around. THen when you need to improve your workouts then you start adding more volume. Weight training is very simple really, don't spend too much time in the gym. Keep your sets to 9 min per body part and lessen your rest. With due time you will do research and find what workout regime works for you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner, starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. Do whatever cardio you want (and enjoy) after you're main workouts or on off days. The amount of cardio you require is dependent on how much you eat and what size calorie deficit you are after. (As you get closer to you're goal weight the deficit should be smaller)
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me. i'm 148 pounds trying to loose 20 pounds. Can anyone give me suggestions on a gym workout i can use. for example i don't know anything about how long i should use an elliptical machine, or any of the machines at the gym.

Personally I think you should stay away from machines as much as you can and try and stick with free weights. For strength training Stronglifts or Wendler's 5/3/1 are good places to start. Both extremely simple and effective.

Cardio wise, I try and avoid the elliptical / treadmill as mush as possible. If you're going to run then run outside. Cardio can also be done with weigths like kettlebells and if you Google UP Fitness you'll see examples of cardio withe weights. Most Gym's will have staff who can put a basic workout together whilst you find your feet and learn how to lift etc. but there is a whole world of info out there once youare clear what your goals are. e.g. Smittydiesel on You Tube is great for looking at form for particular exercises.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One of the best resources online: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html
    The workout I used when I was new to weights & at Fernwood (I know right): http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/21-compound-exercises-only-workout.html

- stick to compound movements (2 or more joints moving)
    - avoid machine weights
    - avoid a smith machine for squats
    - always do weights before any cardio to ensure you're not Pre fatigued & can maintain form