Anyone here have kids while they were in nursing school?

Options
momRN2B
momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
To those of you who either had small children at home while you were in nursing school or like me, gave birth during nursing school, how did u manage with maternity leave, child care and/ or juggling schoolwork and taking care of your children.? Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I went back to school at 38 to become a nurse. I had 3 children, one in HS, one in middle school and 1 in Elementary. I studied at the football field and the baseball field, got up early in the morning to study, Drank lots of coffee, It wasn't easy but it is doable. Best of luck.
  • Sharlene113
    Sharlene113 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I went back to school when my youngest started kindergarten 3 1/2 years ago. I graduate in December, when I'm 39. It's tough. I have 6 kids but only 3 of them live with us full time. It's HARD being in nursing school and having kids. I would study at tennis practices, football fields, etc. My story is a lot like tnrunningnurse. My two oldest are in high school and the baby is in 3rd grade. You just have to schedule time for studying. I have class when they're in school but juggling clinicals was more difficult. I would get finished with class, go to the library and study for an hour or two, then go pick them up, have dinner, do homework with them, etc. then get right back to the books until about 11 or 12 pm. Coffee. Lots of it. I think scheduling is the most important. I know a few gals with me in school have had babies during their semester and one literally had her baby while at clinicals! During the semester, it's really hard to balance kids, husband, and schoolwork but you can do it! I just keep thinking, "If I can make it through this, I can make it through anything!" Hopefully your daycare provider is flexible and can work with you. :)
  • beckibrown67
    beckibrown67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just graduated from nursing school and the best feeling in the world was standing up in front of my classmates giving our class speech at graduation while looking out at my four children and husband in the audience. I have four boys, the oldest is 22 and has MS (he is my motivation for becoming a nurse), the others are 20, 15, and 2 (crazy?? yes.... wonderful?? absolutely). Preparing for NCLEX and super excited about starting my nursing career. I was fortunate to have lots of support from my family and help with my two year old. My advice would be to always make time for your family, even when you are feeling overwhelmed with your school work. Sometimes just taking a break and refocusing on what is important in your life will alleviate some of the stress and allow you to be more efficient in your studies.