Speed Dating?

Options
kylejh
kylejh Posts: 221 Member
Does anyone have any experience with it? I signed up for an event this Friday. Have no idea how to make a great 5 minute impression, or what questions to ask during the 5 minutes.

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it.
    But I'd imagine that you obviously have to do something that will intrigue a gal and make yourself stand out. You don't want it to seem like a job interview lol.
    Ask her something funny or thought provoking, maybe? You want to make the mini-conversation flow naturally. Because there are going to be tons of other men asking her them the same monotonous questions over, and over. So you could really go either way. Maybe something like, "What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?"
    Just have fun with it, and try to stay relaxed.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have never been to one but I would say don't dress like you are going on a business interview either. Wear something that is nice but not khakis or a suit.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Speed dating is great. I did it once when I lived in Boston and had a lot of fun. I was 22 or 23 and ended up meeting a really nice girl. We dated briefly, but nothing ever came of it.

It was a fun experience and not half as awkward as I thought it would have been.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    They do that every once in a while around here. Please let us know how it goes! I know one of the women I talked to at the lock 'n key event on Friday said she liked speed dating better. Maybe you can google "speed dating question suggestions" or something.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and I didn't like it.

- Ladies are lazy at speed dating event (they've got the cards in hand),
    - There is no "common topic" between the attendees (we don't even chose the venue, you're here just to do "speed dating").

Now, a good tip for men is to come with a few original questions. Ideally I'd prepare a list of "interesting conversation starters/questions about the person".
    More importantly, relate.
    Problem is that the selection of people is so random that I've got a hard time relating, apart from being humans we don't have much in common.

But I guess the dating topic is always good:
    "So how come you're here doing speed dating. Not meeting people as you would like to using other channels? Or something else?"
    Stuff like that should do the trick.

IMHO dating websites are better, you can move on quickly if there is no connection/attraction. You're a bit stuck with speed dating.
    If you can go to "speed dating for motorbike riders" or stuff which is more specific, then maybe it could be good.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Things not to ask:

"Woah! What's your bra size?"
    "So how much do you make?"
    "You look familiar, did you used to be a stripper?"
    "Thongs or commando?"
    "How do you feel about open relationships/threesomes?"
    "How many men have you slept with? Any women?"
    "So... is that the type of thing you usually wear?"
    "I thought this had an age limit, how old are you?"
  • kylejh
    Options
    I have some questions to ask... I am more wondering about what others have experienced. Trying to get to know someone in 5 minutes seems strange, so I am guessing this is going to primarily be attraction based. Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I ended an unhealthy relationship 6 months ago (after 3 1/2 years of being manipulated by a sociopath - not exaggerating!!), and it's time I open myself up to meeting new people. Sites like POF are terrible, so I thought this might be something different to try. :)

I will definitely report back on my experience.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Yes! Please report back! I've never done it but it does sound interesting.

Congrats on ending your toxic relationship!!! :drinker:
  • donkarlitos
    donkarlitos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tried it about a year ago and it was surprisingly effective. It sounds weird as a concept, but you usually click with a couple of people there and all of a sudden it goes from being some freaky social experiment, to a fun, bonding, hilarious experience. I remember one girl and I clicked almost immediately. To make things better we both started making faces at one another when we shifted to the next people. Honestly, all the other girls (and later she told me it was the same for her) just felt like casual friendly conversations. We dated for a few months and would always laugh at that experience. Anyway, good luck and embrace the initial awkwardness .. it can create some serious humor.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I tried it about a year ago and it was surprisingly effective. It sounds weird as a concept, but you usually click with a couple of people there and all of a sudden it goes from being some freaky social experiment, to a fun, bonding, hilarious experience. I remember one girl and I clicked almost immediately. To make things better we both started making faces at one another when we shifted to the next people. Honestly, all the other girls (and later she told me it was the same for her) just felt like casual friendly conversations. We dated for a few months and would always laugh at that experience. Anyway, good luck and embrace the initial awkwardness .. it can create some serious humor.

The freaky social experiment part is so off-putting. I've always just imagined some kind of Baudrillardian rabbit hole where I couldn't stop giggling or saying inappropriate things because it's so simulated. That's awesome, sounds like the people at your event kind of embraced that.
  • kylejh
    Options
    Anyway, good luck and embrace the initial awkwardness ..

So I did the event last night. I am quoting the sentence above from an earlier post because it was seriously awkward at first. Some of the people showed up in pairs of friends, but most of us were solo people just kinda standing around my ourselves in the bar before it started, and that was slightly weird. To make it worse, they were 20 mins late getting started, so extra time to feel awkward about everything.

Once things got started, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I had 15 five minute conversations, and felt like I hit it off with 2 or 3 of the women, and checked the "yes" box for two other maybes. One in particular really made an impression on me in a short period of time. So now I wait and see what happens... I guess I'll get an e-mail with any mutual yeses, and hopefully it leads to a couple of real dates.

I will say that I would do it again, now that I know it was pretty easy to talk to most of the women. A couple were very difficult to talk to, mainly because of foreign accents and the music playing, but for the most part, it seemed easy to just start talking. Definitely better than the BS involved with trying to get to know someone on online dating sites.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

So I did the event last night. I am quoting the sentence above from an earlier post because it was seriously awkward at first. Some of the people showed up in pairs of friends, but most of us were solo people just kinda standing around my ourselves in the bar before it started, and that was slightly weird. To make it worse, they were 20 mins late getting started, so extra time to feel awkward about everything.

Once things got started, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I had 15 five minute conversations, and felt like I hit it off with 2 or 3 of the women, and checked the "yes" box for two other maybes. One in particular really made an impression on me in a short period of time. So now I wait and see what happens... I guess I'll get an e-mail with any mutual yeses, and hopefully it leads to a couple of real dates.

I will say that I would do it again, now that I know it was pretty easy to talk to most of the women. A couple were very difficult to talk to, mainly because of foreign accents and the music playing, but for the most part, it seemed easy to just start talking. Definitely better than the BS involved with trying to get to know someone on online dating sites.

Good luck on the mutual yeses. It sounds like something fun to try.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not recommended.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about it.. but it's pretty expensive.. here in San Diego.. I saw a meet up for about $35. wowzers. :drinker: :cry: :brokenheart: :sad:
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Please keep us posted if any of the ones you clicked yes responded back to you.. That'll be super cool if they do. We want updates.
  • kylejh
    Options
    Please keep us posted if any of the ones you clicked yes responded back to you.. That'll be super cool if they do. We want updates.

I went onto their website and saw a message that there were no mutual yeses for the event, so they gave me a 25% off coupon to try it again. I'm now on the fence as to whether or not I will do it again, but will keep an eye on when the next event is to make a final decision.