Self Trimmers???

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
I am in desperate need of a trim. But I dont want to :sad: . How will I ever reach WL if I keep having to trim my hair!?... Anyways I was wondering if anyone out there trims their own hair and specifically if your hair is layered as mine is. I dont want to go to a salon as they tend to be scissor happy, AND I have a goal to reach by December. Please help ladies. Thanx- Tia

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hey Tia,

I trim split-ends at home & get a trim every 6 months or so. I also have layered hair. Unfortunately, I waited almost a year before getting a trim & had to have a little over an inch taken off! :mad:

When my hair was about mid-back I cut my hair myself, but now there is just way too much of it! So now I'm almost at hip-length...

I know you don't want to get a trim, but if you don't then your hair will just get worse. So go get a trim on a regular basis & take good care of it. You'll get there eventually!

Much love,
    Pepper
  • Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey Tia,

I totally agree with Pepper, you have to stay on top of your trims and don't get them too far apart in time. I have a great stylist, and her recommendation for African American women or women of African decent, especially those who are natural, to get trimmed every 8 weeks (if you style your hair frequently or have hands-in-hair syndrome). Reason being is that each bend in your hair is a weak spot, and as a naturally curly girl our ends tend to snap off pretty easily in normal day-to-day styling.

If I remember correctly, you are from the same area that I am (DMV?), so I would be glad to recommend my stylist. Her name is Bianca, and she works in the Hair Cuttery in Towson Town Center. I know it is a little bit of a hike from the DMV area (abut 40 minutes in no traffic), but it is truly worth it. She is not scissor happy, and she does a GREAT job at caring for natural hair and protecting it from heat. I found her when I went to Towson University, but ince I graduated and moved back closer to DC, I tried to go to other hair Cuttery's but no one has measured up... they either cut too much, or don't cut enough and I leave with just as many split ends as I came with for the same price. Bianca is the truth! lol

Also, another alternative to help you keep from having to get your ends trimmed is to seal your ends. This means using a product, such as a hair butter (or pomade for a lighter option) and rubbing a small amount on your ends daily. This helps protect your ends from the elements (cold dry weather and wind) and from the wear and tear of brushing against your clothes, scarves, jackets, or coats. Just a little bit will due (you don't want your ends to look greased down). If you use gel to style your hair, this also doubles as a protector because the gel forms a shield around your hair, protecting it from the elements and breakage. I just started sealing my ends recently after my last trim, and I can feel the difference... my hair doesn't snag as much on my clothes.

Sealing your ends helps reduce the breakage so you would be able to go longer without getting your ends trimmed and will not need a chunk taken off when the time comes that you do get it trimmed.

As far as self trimming - I am a little scared to do it myself. this is my second time going natural, and the first time the demise of my hair (which also lead me to panic and get a relaxer) was that my ends were totally ruined. Because of that, damaged ends are my worst fear in life LOL But if you do, advise (per my cousin who is a hair styles as well as other internet research) is to be sure to use sharp hair cutting shears (no school/office scissors like momma use to do at home... or maybe that's just my family LOL). When your scissors are dull, that could actually lead to more split ends because the dullness might catch and snag the ends.

Now that I have written a dissertation, I hope this was helpful! If you go see Bianca, let her know that Jayme recommended you :)

Thanks,
    Jayme
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Thanks Pepper, I plan to get a trim soon, but honestly I have been holding off.lol. Definitely want to reach lengths like yours :smile:

Hey Jayme!! Yes Towson is a nice little ride from the DMV center. But I would love to see what she could do for my hair. So far I just do Search and Destroys(S&D -looking for bad ends and trim). And I have been sealing alot lately. I noticed when I started working out in May I sort of neglected my hair and had some breakage :cry: . Hopefully with my Henna treatments, S&Ds, finger detangling and sealing I wont need too big of a trim when I finally make my way into a salon. Thanx for your advice. Perhaps I will find another reason to go to Towson and make a day of it so I wont feel bad about going so far to get a trim.lol

XOXO-Tia
  • Jayme813
    Jayme813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, Tia, I try to make a day out of it when I go up to get my ends trimmed too! lol I want to try a henna treatment really badly... does it color your hair, or can you get it done without changing your hair color?
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Yes, Tia, I try to make a day out of it when I go up to get my ends trimmed too! lol I want to try a henna treatment really badly... does it color your hair, or can you get it done without changing your hair color?

If you have dark hair it wont really be an obvious color deposit, but in the sun can be seen as a red highlight. It is a really great conditioning treatment and the more you use it the better. I have been using it since March of this year. I did it 2x a month for the first 3 months and once a month since July. There is another alternative Cassia Obavata (sp?) and it wont color your hair, it conditions like Henna but it just doesnt last as long as Henna.