Tall girls/wedding dresses

Options
Hey ladies!

So although this is a bit premature of me, I can't help but wonder what type of wedding dresses my fellow tall girls wore on their wedding day. I am not engaged yet, but I keep seeing all of these girls I know getting married and I just can't help but wonder what I'd look best in. I am 6 feet tall, have huge boobs, a pretty small waist, but no butt/hips. I have always seen myself in a sweetheart dress with a dropped waist and then a ruched/poofy bottom, but I was wondering if that would be flattering on me because I am tall. What type of wedding dress did you wear?

Replies

• tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, my wedding was 15 years ago. My body shape is very different than yours, too. I have a C cup breast size, and a tummy that just doesn't like to be flat. I wore an a-line dress (tight at the breast and just under the breast it starts to flare out gradually). Because of my tummy, this type style always looks good on my body shape. :) Good luck! Just go try some on (even if they aren't long enough) and get a feel for what you like and what looks good! :)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm not yet engaged either, same height, smaller waist and large bust and I'll probably be doing a tea length circle skirt, and a sweetheart neckline.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I was a pear shape, no boobs but small waist, 6' tall, & not enough money to buy a long dress.
    So I made my wedding gown. This is it:

il_570xN.301337429.jpg

The long one.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 6ft tall as well but my body shape is an apple. My dress was a side-draped bodice and off-the-shoulder neckline with a lace up back and chapel train. I have only been married a year so that is why I remembered my dress (okay maybe I just pulled it up from my e-mails about it). LOL

I found that with my body and height this was one of the few dresses that looked right on me and "was me". I am a tom boy and really did not want anything "princess-y". I wore purple cowboy boots with my dress for the ceremony and saddle shoes for the reception. . Apart of that was that I did not want to be taller than my husband. (He is only an inch taller than me). One thing I really liked about my dress is that because I am so tall I did not need it hemmed. The saleswoman was shocked, she said that I was only the second bride in her 4 years of working there, that did not need her dress hemmed. I did have to have it taken in after loosing 20 pounds between fittings. My bridesmaids fed me doughnuts and fried chicken the 2 days before my wedding to make sure it fit. :-) Even then there was some creative pinning involved getting me ready.
  • bn62
    bn62 Posts: 1
    Options
    HELLO?!?!? Can you make MY wedding dress??? No really, wonderful job. I am not getting married for a year but am already thinking that I am going to have to go to a drag queen shop to find something to fit!!!! I am 6'1" no boobs, flat tummy and round butt. I weigh 179 and am aiming for 165 -- and I am 50 and getting married for the first time!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'- no boobs, hips and *kitten* for miles. My dress is in my profile pic. It is a less dramatic sweet heart neckline. It is fitted through the hips and butt, and then goes into basically an A-line gown. I've never seen anything like it. and I love it.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1367&page=0&pageSize=36&keywordText=&keywordType=All

This is what they call it: Slim A-line, strapless gown with dipped neckline and corset closure. Embellished corded lace decorates Point d'Esprit and falls over Romance Satin in this incredibly romantic design. Mikado flowers artfully provide dimension at the banded natural waist and throughout the slim A-line skirt. A drop tulle veil is available as a splendid addition for the blushing bride.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and have D cups... I got an a-line dress from David's bridal that isn't in production anymore. They had to add 4 inches to the bottom but it was perfect...
    This photo is from the day we bought the dress. I was about 260lbs in that photo... no where near that when I got married or now lol!
    Front.jpg
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i wore a halter wedding dress from david's bridal. very marilyn-monroe-esque. it was the perfect length if i was flat-footed but with my heels it needed to be altered. of course, i bought my dress last minute and did not have time for the alterations to come in, therefore i scrapped my plan of wearing heels and wore some strappy white leather flats. but if you give them enough time, it's easy to add length to most hems :)
    BUT my flats were awesome, i wore them all night, and highly recommend that option! .... especially if you forget to schedule breakfast and lunch for yourself while prepping for the wedding.... and accidentally get intensely drunk. hee hee.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I really lucked out - I'm just over 5'11" with D cups and found a dress that fit PERFECTLY off the rack!! (size 12) and it was $500 - pictures on my profile :happy:

edited to add - I had to wear flats with it though, would have been too short if i wore heals....which was fine with me!
  • katepsher
    katepsher Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" tall and wore an a-line dress. (Alfred Sung, sweetheart neckline with flower appliques on the shoulder straps and on one side of the bust/waist.) I had to pay to have extra length because a regular dress wasn't long enough - so that's something to keep in mind. (I think mine was approximately $100 extra on a $1200 dress.)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wanted a vintage look, so I opted for tea length, strapless. It belled out and hit below my knee, but well above my ankles. I wore a wide net mini veil and a fascinator.

It was actually a white bridesmaids dress through this group: http://www.dessy.com/ (my dress isn't on there anymore, but they have lots in white). It was only $200, and while I had to have it altered, that was only $50. It was so inexpensive that I bought a second reception dress through them in bright pink.

I know it may not be as formal as a long gown, but I loved the shorter length and vintagey look. I felt like it would have really leant itself well to bright colored shoes and short little gloves too.