Budget, Locating Ingredients etc.

Options
My hubby bought this book for me for Valentines Day.

I can't wait to dive into it, but I am just finishing up Mat Leave and I am SO concerned by the cost of the food.

How are you finding the cost? Also, are you able to locate some 'different' things listed. Many of my supermarkets don't offer some of the options.

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    There is a lovely health food shop in the town 10 miles away. I go ever so occasionally, and went the other day.
    Umeboshi plums. Lovely, but not worth buying every time for me. As expensive as gold dust, and not hugely satisfying.
    But mochi is worth trying, expensive, but i think as a treat meal, it's worth it.
    Tempeh, I'm not too sure about, will have to cook a lovely meal and give it a good try, but I think it's worth investing in. Seitan is another staple worth getting.
    But I think as with any recipe book, it's worth reading through and getting lots of ideas. IF you don't have the exact ingredients, you can play around a little.
    Her choices of veg I like, haven't managed to source lotus root and it looks gorgeous, but daikon is readily available here.

Things like mochi and umeboshi etc are available from online sources, in fact, I bet there's a fair bit you can get from an online food store.
    I'm in UK, and Holland and Barrett is pretty useless, I have to find the independent ones!