Walking while pushing a stroller - FYI

Options
This was a question I had while logging my walks with my son in the stroller - there is an entry for pushing or pulling a stroller, but it is LESS calorie burn than walking at a moderate pace! So I did some research - here's what i found. Hope it helps other mom's with the same question!

It seems that every calculator out there assumes that if you are pushing a stroller than you are walking at a "leisurely pace". I did find an article that estimated (based on a peer reviewed study) that pushing a stroller burns approximately 18% more calories than walking along (this was at 3.0 mph with varying slopes - similar to rolling hills). Sooo - I am just adding .5 mph to my speed when I log my walk - it works out to about 13% more calories. I've put the link to the article below.

http://www.fyiliving.com/research/are-mommy-stroller-workouts-effective/

Replies

• sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about that since I push my two boys in the stroller just about every day. According to my pedometer, I burn less calories while pushing the stroller. I just log the amount of calories my pedometer tells me to. I have lost tons of weight, so I am not complaining.
  • ErinReneeL
    Options
    I was wondering about that! Thanks for the info.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is why I use an HRM, don't trust the exercise calories on MFP.

I walked today for 40 mins with a 13kg pram and a 10kg toddler, and that was about 190 cals, at a pace of 3.5km/h (if that's any help). It was probably at more than a leisurely stroll (lazy pace ??)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log walking with a stroller, I just do 'slow walk' as although I'm pushing my 15 month old in quite a heavy icandy apple, I'm also holding my 3 year old's hand. He can walk pretty fast, but he just chooses to stop and look at everything and talk about it!

When my daughter was first born, my son was 22 months and i converted the icandy apple to a pear - now that must've burned a fair few calories, it was damn heavy!
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've never thought to log with a stroller...although I'm pushing 100lbs including the stroller and my two toddlers...I don't worry about it too much though, because I don't eat the calories that I burn on my workouts...but it IS nice to see the numbers go up on the calorie burn just for a personal pat on the back :)
  • Tippydooda
    Options
    What about jogging with a jogging stroller?