Chaining up your bike

Options
paul_draper
paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
This is the second time this has happened to me. Last night, on leaving work late, I found someone had chained my bike up along with theirs. Fortunately, it was only through the rear rack so I was able to remove that, leave it chained up and cycle off although it was awkward with a hard shell pannier. Do you think I would have been justified, morally if not legally, in trying to cut the other cyclists chain or perhaps putting my chain around their bike? Do you double check when you chain your bike up?

Replies

• MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chaining up a bike to yours is a standard tactic of a thief. You can't move your bike so have to leave it there. The thief comes back later when it's quiet / less people around and has more time to break your lock. Though in your case I would expect a thief to have done it through the frame and not the rack.

Even if a bike was accidentally locked to mine I would have no moral issues in attempting to remove their lock as either way the other person has instigated the problem.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One night when I was out a bar, I found that someone had chained their bike to mine when I was going to leave. I went back in, asked the bartender to make an announcement, but the bike didn't belong to anyone at the bar. I even went to the bar next door with no luck. After waiting around for what felt like ever, I called up my buddy who owns a sawzall. He came right over, and we sawed right through that chain. I felt kind of like a jerk, and I didn't want someone to steal that other bike, but what else could I have done? I rode past the next day and the other bike was still there.

That's interesting to hear that that's a standard thief tactic. Actually makes a lot of sense.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you're going to chain your bike up to someone else's, you are supposed to 'daisy chain' them together (i.e. only loop your lock through the lock of the other persons). This way it allows the other person to leave while your bike is still locked up.

Sounds as though bike thieves are at work there :mad:
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow, the things people think of! This would never have crossed my mind. I would have assumed it was an accident too, but having said that I wouldn't have had any qualms about cutting their chain either if I needed to leave.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    my first instinct upon seeing someone chain their bike through my rack would be, "frickin idiot", and my reaction would be to puncture their tires. i don't think i'd immediately think theft tactic, since a rack is so easily escapable. if i'd come across this with my own bike, i'd probably've left a note for the owner letting them know to be more alert of their locking practices. but if i'd found part of my wheel or frame locked to someone else's bike, i'd have an utter hissyfit and go all rage on them.