Tunnel to Towers Run 9-30

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
http://www.t2trun.org/nyc

I did this run last year and it is an amazing day. A quick explanation is the race memorializes Stephen Siller, a NYC fireman who was just getting home from his shift heard about the first plane hitting the trade center he started to rush there from Brooklyn. Found out no traffic was aloud through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel, so in full gear he ran the length of the tunnel and ended up dying a hero saving people in the tower.

This run started as a fund raiser for the fallen public servents children college funds... and has grown from there. Now a lot of the money goes to building homes for soldiers returning from war who have lost multiple limbs and need specialized things for that.

The run follows his path through the tunnel to the WTC site...

I ran it for the first time last year and was blown away. Many firemen run it full gear, lots of groups of soldiers and police run it too... Going through the tunnel is slow pace but it amazing... chants and encouragement... when you get out of the tunnel there are firemen and police in full dress holding banners of those who died on 9-11. Somewhere around 40k people ran it last year. It is quite an experience and there is a large after party in battery park city.

I plan to run it again this year, hope some of you come and check it out too!

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to run/walk/crawl without going to pcs and crying hysterically...Thanks for doing this G!
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to run/walk/crawl without going to pcs and crying hysterically...Thanks for doing this G!

You would not be the only one... it is an emotional day for sure...

scaled.php?server=225&filename=school2011001a.jpg&res=landing
    My sister, me and a buddy last year at the start
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    Do you have a team set up? I can ask my friends (some NYPD, some FFs and a few EMTs) to see if they do it and/or have teams..I;ll ask Tom if he wants to do it too. We'd have to leave the baby with my in-laws since no strollers are allowed...I'm coming around..lol
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    Do you have a team set up? I can ask my friends (some NYPD, some FFs and a few EMTs) to see if they do it and/or have teams..I;ll ask Tom if he wants to do it too. We'd have to leave the baby with my in-laws since no strollers are allowed...I'm coming around..lol

I did not create a team, but have some friends planning on running it together.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am with it, let me know.

Seems like the right thing to do for those who fought for our freedom !!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options

I did not create a team, but have some friends planning on running it together.

OK, I'll send out a FB post to my friends and see if any of them have a team already set up. I'll let you know.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Okay.

I REALLY want to do this.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this, please let us know when you have more details!
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I would love to do this, please let us know when you have more details!

All the sign up details are here...

http://www.t2trun.org/nyc

Depending how many of us are doing it we can all meet up where the busses drop us off by the Ikea in red hook.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I did this last year too and agree it was an amazing day!! I cried after running out of the tunnel!

Already signed up to run again this year :)
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I signed up today...

Here is the link to my page if you want to join me!

http://t2trun.org/campaign/display/profile.do?campaignId=8531
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    scaled.php?server=841&filename=photojvj.jpg&res=landing

Thinking about hitting this place up after the race to watch some football... It is in Jersey City, one stop away on the PATH.. They have something like 100 different beers on tap.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'll see you there greg.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    i'll see you there greg.

I am hoping for some good weather... although most of the run is inside the tunnel...
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    Do we want to meet up pre-race?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

where? i don't know red hook that well. but i'll be the tall guy.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options

where? i don't know red hook that well. but i'll be the tall guy.

The buses drop everyone off by Ikea and then we walk towards the tunnel. Last year there were 40K people there... I will look for the tall one
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    Well it was a great race! Such an inspirational day

Last year I was pretty far back in the crowd for the race, this year we got there a little earlier and were really close to the start line... It was still crowded going through the tunnel but this year I was able to run past some of the wounded warriors that were doing the run with artificial limbs... it was amazing. Everytime you would come up to one of them and their entourage everyone would start chanting and cheering them on.

I look forward to doing it again next year and hopefully meeting more MFP friends there... CaptainA and MyMelody were pretty awesome!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i want to do it again next year, but i need to start closer to the front. my friend and i started way too far back, and there were a lot of walkers and gawkers. everyone and their mother was snapping away with their cell phones to upload to instagram and myface or whatever.

i wish they had done a "walkers on the right, runners on the left" kinda thing.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    i want to do it again next year, but i need to start closer to the front. my friend and i started way too far back, and there were a lot of walkers and gawkers. everyone and their mother was snapping away with their cell phones to upload to instagram and myface or whatever.

i wish they had done a "walkers on the right, runners on the left" kinda thing.

That has been something I keep suggesting to my friend who works as an organizer...

I think the issue is it is not really supposed to be a competitive race so much as being all about supporting the cause.