Eating more than MFP suggests?

Options
remisenforme
remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
Hi girls,

I was curious if any of you have had success using the "eat more to weigh less" theory for eating. Basically instead of eating around 1200-1300 calories that MFP suggests (for me), it would be necessary to eat between your BMR and TDEE (1700-2000 calories).

I have read a lot about it on here and it sounds interesting but I'm scared to increase my calories (since I AM losing so far) just in case I balloon up :) However, I have read that eating at this high deficit (only 1200 calories) over time can be detrimental for your metabolism and you can hit plateaus because you aren't eating enough for your body!

Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with this and what your results were. Thanks!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just started it a few weeks again. Since then I have lost five pounds. I should also note that I've decreased my sodium to always be under the limit on MFP. My guess is the weight loss is a combination of the two. In addition to the lbs. (which is great), I have seen significant changes in my body - my legs and arms are more muscular and defined, waist is smaller, clothes are looser.

I know it can be scary to up calories - and to be honest, I don't eat every single calorie every single day. But the main theory behind it is fueling your body so you don't lose muscle and so your body can function properly. I would suggest at least running the numbers (I know you did, but for anyone else who may read this) - my MFP amount was actually higher than my TDEE minus 20% and my TDEE minus 500 (two of the more common methods). So I've been eating the MFP amount lately.
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I actually found a new website that calculates the BMR and TDEE much more accurately (so it seems) for people who are obese. So anyone who is interested can check this out:

I found my Current % Body Fat here:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

And then I found my BMR and TDEE here:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

"Katch-McArdle Formula
    The Katch-McArdle formula differs from the Harris-Benedict formula in that Katch-McArdle takes lean body mass into consideration. This calculation is therefore only possible if you know your percentage body fat. Generally speaking, this is a better measure of caloric need for the obese than Harris-Benedict because it represents your actual body composition and is not based of assumptions about what one "should" weigh."
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been going over my daily allotment most days. I lost 2.5 lbs. Lest week. I used to starve myself to lose weight but not anymore.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I get weighed on a scale that shows how many calories i burn at rest and they calculated me to be around 1600 cals. I usually dont eat by my exercise cals during the week, sometimes on the weekends ill use them, depending how big my appetite is. I know for myself if i have been trying to go lower carb, i dont have a certain amount i stay around, just eliminated grains and breads and sugary fruit. Last week i ate very carb heavy and didnt lose, and went lower carb the past 4 days and im down 3 pounds, go figure. I dont usually go by what mfp tells me to do, i record for my own purposes to make sure im in a reasonable amount. Im sure alot of my other pcos girls know it is nt always about cals in/ cals out with us, what we consume counts, so depending how much you weigh and what u burn at rest should give you a pretty good base point to stay at