Nutrition

This thread is for all talk about food. Talk about your diet (if your on one), your food plan, or anything about food! Please share recipes over on the recipe thread!

Replies

• khein33
    khein33 Posts: 20
    I recently found out that I am insulin resistance so I have to start cutting carbs out of my diet. It's been extremely difficult for me. I've realized that I was eating hundreds of grams of carbs a day. I have not been able to eliminate them next to nothing, but I'm doing better. Today was bad though-- I caved and ate a donut. The temptation I had was so overwhelming and I have yet to figure out a way to channel that.

Anyways- Anyone else doing low carb? I need to find me a buddy to help figure out some easy things to eat as I tend to do the same thing day to day because I work 10-15 hours a day and have no time to cook.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    If you google the Adkins diet you can actually print off a huge food list that gives the net carbs of that food. It has just about everything on it. I read an article about carbs and how some peoples bodies just don't handle them as well as others. My body hates carbs and like you, I eat a ton of them. To see how much better I would feel, I eliminated as many carbs as possible and for one week ate no more than 50 net carbs. I felt so much better. I slept like a baby, didn't feel groggy during the day and had tons of energy. I then went back to eating my calorie goal but including all the carbs and I went right back to feeling sluggish, tossing and turning and bloated. So I am going to watch my carbs but not too unrealistically. Maybe stick around 100 net grams. This gives plenty of room for good carbs and keeping me from the bad ones!
  • khein33
    khein33 Posts: 20
    I'm just going off of total carb count right now-- not really the "net" carbs. I'm trying to stay under 100 grams total carbs and to get at least 100 grams of protein a day... Do I need to do the Net carbs vrs just total carbs?
  • Journey2Heaven
    Journey2Heaven Posts: 45 Member
    I am also avoiding as much carbs as possible due to my doctors suggestion. It's tough because I love breads, pasta and rice but oh well. I'm learning to eat open faced sandwich's, burgers with no buns and lettuce wraps.
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    I'm just eating what I want in moderation,so I'm not on a diet or diet plan.However,I still try to eat as healthy as possible.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    I'm just going off of total carb count right now-- not really the "net" carbs. I'm trying to stay under 100 grams total carbs and to get at least 100 grams of protein a day... Do I need to do the Net carbs vrs just total carbs?

I am not 100% sure - I don't really understand how much difference is between the two.
  • My food plan is to eat clean 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I save for snacks at the end of my day so I don't actually have cheat days and days where I give up on myself. Seems to work for me. I fill up on fresh fruits and veggies for the most part. I leave my food diary open so feel free to look anytime!