Burnout

Options
Any of you fellow nurses feel burned out???? I have only been a nurse for 7 years, and I am starting to feel burned out. I love my job in the OR, but it is taking a toll on my back, and my nurse manager is a micro manager, which is hard to tolerate. I have started a home based business hoping that I can get our of the OR and salvage my back.

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Im in my first year of study as a nurse, at times I feel so exhausted with all the information they give us. I usually take a break and leave whatever is bothering me. If your back is hurting have you tried seeing a chiropractor? When my dad hurt his he went to one and it relieved the pain for him.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Under the care of a chiropractor, and I am improving. Been dealing with the back issue for a year. I have been to PT and now the chiropractor....should have done chiro first.
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    Micro managers are the worst.

I am a clinic nurse and love my job; still a lot of time on my feet but (usually) not quite the pace of of some other nursing professions.
  • ceeduck
    Options
    Hi.. I am going into my second year of nursing school. From many current nurses that I've talked to, the best way to avoid or combat burnout is to change specialties. One nurse said that when she is feeling burnt out or just tired of the monotony of her current position she will go to a different department. This way she re-energizes herself by learning a new specialty she stays on her toes and keeps her skills sharp! Maybe this would help :)
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the ER and had chronic low back pain. I was getting frequent massages and going to the chiropractor at least once a month but nothing seemed to help THAT particular issue. I finally tried a different chiropractor and he had a different technique that relieved my pain instantly. There's also acupuncture, which I have used several times for numbness and tingling down both of my arms from cervical degeneration. I encourage you to try any and all noninvasive treatments before allowing anyone to talk you into surgery on your spine (if you're thinking along those lines). Good luck and please keep us updated!

Oh! and those micromanagers are the worst! You may want to consider getting a different job or switching to someone else's shift. That can make a world of difference!