GF communion bread?

Options
miriamwithcats
miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
How do you handle communion at church? The church I attend in my small town has people dunk their piece of bread in the communion wine. So even if I slipped a piece of GF bread to the minister to give to me, the wine would be contaminated. So I just skip communion altogether and feel funny sitting in my pew. Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.celiac.com/articles/22980/1/Gluten-free-Communion-Wafers-Not-Holy-Says-Catholic-Diocese-in-Ohio/Page1.html

This was an interesting article. I would request some time with your minister and ask them if this is an option for you. You may be able to get them to set aside some wine in a gluten free vessel and you may not be required to eat the wafer.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that any church still uses the same wine for everyone. We switched over to individual tiny cups and all the bread used is G-free.
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    I'm shocked that any church still uses the same wine for everyone. We switched over to individual tiny cups and all the bread used is G-free.

Everyone dips a piece of bread in to the wine, so there is no contamination. Wine is alcohol too, so naturally antibacterial.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have the wine only, before anyone dips gluten in it.

The Orthodox Church uses a spoon for communion, which allows wine to be poured into the mouth, without the mouth and spoon coming into contact.

I am Catholic, and having communion under one species is the same as receiving both. Even if your denomination prefers having both, having one is better than having none at all. Speak to your minister, and maybe he can arrange for you to be discretely at the head of the line so that no one will even notice.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    how can the Body and Blood of Christ be toxic?
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    In the Episcopal church, some have the GF wafers, after you receive your wafer, you cross your arms over your chest and they give you a blessing
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    In the Episcopal church, some have the GF wafers, after you receive your wafer, you cross your arms over your chest and they give you a blessing

I live in a small town in Iowa, right next to a Methodist church, so that is where I have been going. But I was raised Episcopalian, in fact my father was a minister. Maybe I should just drive half an hour to the closest Episcopal church! The music and service is much better anyway! But small town life revolves around the churches, so I started going to the one next door. (My maternal great grandfather was a Methodist minister so I am not straying that far from my roots by going to the Methodist one!)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My dad is a pastor and I was living in a different state when I discovered I was GF, my first time back at church they did communion and I couldn't participate and it was much more emotionally upsetting than I was anticipating. I now make GF bread for Communion and so everyone gets GF bread and it's not an issue.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I spoke with my preist, he has family that are celiac. he said I can just do the wine, but Im afraid of backwash (even before being gf, lol) So he just breaks me off a very small piece. I have not had any reactions yet.