Caring for Cycling clothes

Options
I am relatively new to cycling. I've made a good investment into the proper clothes for warm weather. Now I want to make sure I am taking proper care of them. A friend mentioned that I should wash my cycling gear, particularly the shorts, after each ride. She said this would help them avoid getting smelly. Tips?

Replies

• midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    yeah, washing them after your rides is good. thats why irs important to have atleast 2 pair of bottoms and atleast 2 jerseys. ive alwaya just washed and dried.

I concur with Snow. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    General ride shorts (the £70-£80 ones(gore, pearl izumi, DHB, Altura etc.) get machine washed in non-bio washing powder on the "extremely delicates" cycle, no spin, no tumble, just hang and drip after every ride. I've also found that they last longer and don't "pull threads" if you can get a mesh "wash-bag" to put them in - 1 pair of shorts to a bag. My "big ride" shorts (the posh, expensive Assos FI Mille S5's) get hand washed as I'm not about to drop £150 on a pair of shorts every few months.

Thing is, cycling shorts are underwear, so they need to be washed between rides, every ride a fresh pair of shorts. Same Goes for 3/4's or longs incidentally - though I find that shorts and knee-warmers are fine for most of the spring and autumn. Also, a pad-free set of roubaix bib's for winter are handy - wear them over a pair of padded shorts, wash the shorts every ride, and the longs only if they get wet/dirty...
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just to clarify. I was washing after each ride. She said I should wash them immediately. In other words, don't put them in the laundry for later. So, I am essentially riding and coming home to do laundry each time.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I add a cup of vinegar to the wash ever so often, tends to cut down on the smell if I can't wash them immediately. I also rinse them out after riding if I'm mountain biking and have access to a faucet at the end of a ride.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thing is, cycling shorts are underwear, so they need to be washed between rides, every ride a fresh pair of shorts.

^^This.
    Thanks everyone. Just to clarify. I was washing after each ride. She said I should wash them immediately. In other words, don't put them in the laundry for later. So, I am essentially riding and coming home to do laundry each time.

I leave mine in the laundry for a couple of days...they don't smell great, but otherwise I haven't had any problems doing it this way.
  • hargard
    hargard Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't usually wash mine straight after a ride and they are fine. When I do wash them its is a delicates bag (some brands of bibs/shorts come with them) then just hang dry in the shade.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I don't usually wash mine straight after a ride and they are fine. When I do wash them its is a delicates bag (some brands of bibs/shorts come with them) then just hang dry in the shade.

Yeah - the Assos Mille's I mentioned came complete with a wash bag, a small bottle of washing liquid and a pot of the chamois cream... should do as well, the amount they cost! - nearly as much as my last pair of wheels! :laugh:
  • 2kwaldo
    2kwaldo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I get back from a ride I usually toss my clothes (shorts, shirt and bra) in the shower and wash them (and me) while I am in there. Occasionally I'll toss them in the hamper but that's usually when I am jumping in the pool after my ride rather than immediately showering. No real issues with smell when I do that.