corn pasta vs rice pasta

HeidiHoMom
HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
I am new to being gluten free and just wondering which one of these will taste better?

Replies

• My preference is corn. It has a better consistency than rice pastas, which get mushy (at least during my cooking attempts).
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    I like the heartland brand at Walmart it is a combination of both.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I like rice but you'll want to be sure not to overcook it. It needs to be al dente.

Also, it really depends on you. I'm slightly allergic to corn so I usually go towards the rice ones.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Our family generally prefers the corn pasta, but some brands of rice are pretty good. In rice pastas we like Tinkyada.

I would like to try a corn and rice blend, that would probably be good.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    I've had good luck with Tinkyada.
  • ckitsch81
    ckitsch81 Posts: 7 Member
    I've had great luck with Tinkyada brown rice spinach pasta.
  • ktouton
    ktouton Posts: 20 Member
    I like Trader Joe's corn pasta. Their rice pasta is Tinkyada, but in a different package. The advantage is TJ's prices are usually better.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Quinoa Pasta! it's a brand that mixes Quinoa and Corn. Very tasty and close to the taste of whole wheat pasta if you miss it. I use this for EVERYTHING.

But since you did ask corn vs. rice...it depends on the texture fore me. Corn can start to fall apart and break in mac n cheese (homemade, of course) but does well with marinara sauces.

I prefer rice pasta with creamy sauces because they won't break, but it is really easy to overcook them so you have to watch them like a hawk and drain them really well or they stay wet and soggy.
  • Naezer
    Naezer Posts: 14 Member
    love Heartland...... It has the best taste and best price!!:love:
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Quinoa Pasta! it's a brand that mixes Quinoa and Corn. Very tasty and close to the taste of whole wheat pasta if you miss it. I use this for EVERYTHING.

I second this about the quinoa pasta!

And like many others have mentioned, I, too, have succeeded at making rice mush instead of rice noodles... corn is definitely easier, and I prefer the texture over the rice noodles.