Back to the stupid drawing board...

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
After having met no prospects in real life (not for a lack of trying, so save your breath, DM), I've rejoined the online dating world of match.com. I hated to do it, but as much as I've been out and about and active lately, it's just not happening. So I sucked it up and rejoined. I tried the free sites like OKCupid, and felt like I needed a hot shower as soon as I signed out, it was f'ing creepy!

Funny thing is, I signed on and saw a guy that I've sort of eyed a few times that I see at my gym every day. So I did the wink thing, maybe I'll wait and see what happens. Now that I know he's single and we go to the gym at the same time, I can strike up an in-person conversation! :drinker:

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    LOL-I really enjoyed being called out on that! :smile:

What was creepy about OKC for you most recently?

Best wishes!
  • toots99
    Options
    LOL-I really enjoyed being called out on that! :smile:

What was creepy about OKC for you most recently?

Best wishes!

What was creepy? Um, every message. Everyone there just gives off an impression of being...slimy. :sick:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    People are sometimes bolder behind a computer/tablet/iphone screen than in real life.
  • toots99
    Options
    People are sometimes bolder behind a computer/tablet/iphone screen than in real life.

Yeah, so that means the person wasn't being his real self...so it's his loss. His creepy loss! :laugh:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're feeling. The first night I joined POF, my first message was asking if I was open minded enough for a late night rendezvous and the second told me I had beautiful lips and must be an amazing kisser. Then I joined OKC... the first guy there asked me if I preferred top or bottom AND if I had C or D cups? It's amazing how BOLD people feel like is acceptable when chatting or messaging online. If I met someone IRL, I certainly wouldn't say/ do those things within the first 30 minutes, yet everyone seems to think it's NORMAL online!

BUT, as hard as all that is, there ARE normal, nice guys on there. I do believe that or what's the point in trying. You just have to weed through a lot of junk. I honestly think there is more junk on free sites, but my response rate on Match made it pointless. I'm sure you'll have better interactions than I did as I know I still don't look the part of what most on Match want.

Keep at it and learn to laugh at any of the sites, free or otherwise. I consider all the weirdos just great entertainment stories for my friends!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    After having met no prospects in real life (not for a lack of trying, so save your breath, DM), I've rejoined the online dating world of match.com. I hated to do it, but as much as I've been out and about and active lately, it's just not happening. So I sucked it up and rejoined. I tried the free sites like OKCupid, and felt like I needed a hot shower as soon as I signed out, it was f'ing creepy!

Funny thing is, I signed on and saw a guy that I've sort of eyed a few times that I see at my gym every day. So I did the wink thing, maybe I'll wait and see what happens. Now that I know he's single and we go to the gym at the same time, I can strike up an in-person conversation! :drinker:
    Why in the world did you not send this guy a message saying "Hey, I see you at the gym all the time! Fancy seeing you here too!" or something along those lines that makes sense for your personality? I guess if you can approach him in person, you don't need to, but I'm just wondering.

I just rejoined last Thursday and I haven't had too many creepy messages from men on OKC - mostly just the ones with no effort, like "hi" or "hello". I've had a bit of weirdness in the form of these guys who are extremely bitter about online dating and seem to ooze frustration at women in the profiles and messages or there's some kind of crazy going on, but I haven't gotten the slimy messages trying to hook up (thank my lucky stars and touch wood). I'm not sure if it's my settings (on OKC at least) that are filtering them out. I meet absolutely no men EVER, so I'm going to take the bad with the good, but maybe in small doses, so suspending my account from time to time for a break from it.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Good Luck toots. I think its always good to widen your options. It's not like you will stop going about your daily life and spend all hours online, is it? So, well done for giving it another try. You just never know........:flowerforyou:
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Back to the drawing board for me too......
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Don't wink! Tell him who you are...and then tell him you'll see him around approach him at the gym whatever it takes. Guys DO NOT make the first move! Or at least here anyway.... lol

Then if he doesn't like you he'll just move on the other side of the gym, further away from you and think you're a stalker. That's why you tell him "Hey I noticed you at my gym...." key word. MY.

:drinker: Good luck