From New England to Houston - question!

Options
BioQueen
BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
Hello!

I just moved to Houston to do research at the medical center. However, I'm from New Hampshire, where have a lot of trees, lakes, nature, bugs, cows, etc. I am looking for things that are really outdoorsy (although I am struggling with this heat!). Does anyone have any suggestions? I have checked out Hermann Park since it's so close to where I live/work.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• puddytats
    puddytats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the drive, Sam Houston National Forest has some lovely trails. It's about 45 minutes north of Houston. The arboretum in Memorial Park has some nice trails, too.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely have to check that out!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The Woodlands, Kingwood, and Spring are not too far and you'll find some pretty trees and trails there.ake sure to visit the Hill Country some time!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Anything in the north Houston area. The woodlands is pretty great.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can take a canoe trip in the Armand Bayou Nature Center (http://www.abnc.org/) which is south of town in the clear lake area. Texas has lots of great state parks, and Houston is not too far from the Hill Country, which is the prettiest part of the state IMHO.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I bought a book, "60 hikes within 60 miles of Houston". It is a great resource if you are looking to get out of the house free.
  • ednawhistle
    ednawhistle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hermann Brown park on the east side is nice, LOADS of trees and plenty of skeeters
  • robb1979
    Options
    A great way to get out and explore any new city and discover new places is through geocaching. From Ohio myself, I too was taken aback by the lack of trees.

If you haven’t heard of geocaching basically it is a free world wide scavenger hunt, where coordinates are given on the geocaching website (www.geocaching.com) and you type the coordinates into a handheld gps or access them through a smartphone app. There are groups that usually meet up once a month if you are looking to meet new people too.

One thing you really have to be aware of anytime you step off the beaten path are SNAKES. I have had two close encounters this summer and have been a little skittish about getting back out and exploring. Being from up north we typically aren’t looking for the little things like snakes and spiders, we are more concerned about bears and raccoon’s (if your climbing trees that is).