I've gained weight...again :S

Options
So I started MFP 25 days ago. The first two weeks I did great, lost just under 6lbs then I found out I was pregnant. Obviously that changed the game plan. I'm not restricting my calories, just trying to "eat healthy" which I'm still tracking just to keep track, that's put me between 1700 and 2000 calories. But I've gained like 2lbs the last two weeks!!!! My OB doesn't want me gaining more than 10-15lbs for the pregnancy, which I'm ok with. The thing is I don't see why the heck I'm gaining about a pound a week so far!?! I mean I know I'm eating more calories but it's not like I'm eating 3500 extra calories a week. I did have some off days but I really don't think they were THAT off.

I think it's a combination of a couple of things....maybe...since I found out I was pregnant I've cut out coffee which I've always thought helped remove excess water from the body. I've started eating veggies in the AM for breakfast, I season them with salt. This something I did not do before, so maybe the added salt is making me retain water? What do you think?

I'm not trying to lose weight at this point because of the pregnancy but I thought I'd at least maintain until later in the pregnancy like normal people do and only gain a max of 10-15lbs total. At this rate I'll be gaining much more than 10lbs :( I'm just 6 weeks along for Pete's sake!

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep, salt can definitely add to water retention - try to get healthy carbs, good fiber, lots of protein, and if you're able to, still get in some decent exercise. Walks are wonderful, as is swimming if your doctor clears you for those! It might be that you're getting the right amount of calories in, but eating the wrong kinds of foods..... I'm pretty careful for the most part to not eat a lot of fats/processed sugars (though I've added SOME in recently as I as going the opposite way on the scale and it was stressing me out to be LOSING)..... have frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, eat brown rice instead of instant white rice (you'll feel fuller anyway) and try to get some good protein in with your carb cravings - peanut butter on your toast/crackers, or a lowfat hard cheese with it, etc. Good luck to you!! It seems like every single one of us is different, and it's all a balancing game - you'll find what works for YOU and your baby! :)