Child rape, is it hilarious?

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am rationalizing because when I first saw this earlier, I laughed out loud, but I don't see where this is purposefully demeaning the victims or making fun of child rape. I know it is in poor taste, but I don't know that it is really that heinous. I have a weakness for sick humor, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I could be persuaded to think otherwise, I guess.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it so much mocks the victims as it does the university.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I can see why it would be offensive, it was meant to be.

I find offensive humor to be...well humorous. I guess I see it as a joke and nothing more.

It really is an interesting subject though. My mother was a prosecuting attorney for many years, she now trains prosecutors all over the place in specialized case law. She deals with the horrible stuff people don't want to think about. The other day she was talking about a tiny island in the pacific where victim's bodies from the sex trafficking trade were washing up on beaches, etc. She joked about how the community was so slow that police finished their coffee before going to clean up the crime scenes. I was horrified listening to some of the more greusome details. However, if she were to see a tshirt like that she'd be absolutely furious at the wearer, whereas I (a PSU grad) would probably chuckle.

I think it's reasonable to get offended by such things that make light of horrible tragedies, but it should be acknowledged that it was just meant as a joke.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    funny-im-going-to-hell-joke.jpg
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

this.

I also have an inappropriate sense of humor, but I think this is poking (haha) fun at Penn St, not the victims.

Perhaps it is too soon.
  • wewon
    Options
    I also have an inappropriate sense of humor, but I think this is poking (haha) fun at Penn St, not the victims.

LOL!

Whenever I hear a joke that is on the line, I always try to find an analogous group/joke etc and see if that would come across as offensive.

In this case, the victims aren't really the punch line.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Is it much different then Catholic Priest/child molestation jokes?
  • wewon
    Options
    Is it much different then Catholic Priest/child molestation jokes?

I see them as the same. And most of those jokes were aimed at making the Priest/Church the butt not the victims.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I'm already going one step farther in analysis than is warranted, but I think the whole point was to use sick hyperbole to emphasize intercollegiate rivalry--a number of shirts were made with the same phase, but aimed at different Big 10 teams (the shirts were made by OSU fans).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    regarding the topic question, humor can come from a combination of lots of things. In this case, it's an issue of timing and what's expected.

I think frequently things that are in poor taste end up being considered funny because they break expectations, usually because of inappropriate timing, subject matter, or both.

Did I laugh at the the Michael Jackson joke when he died "Now he can be melted down into legos so kids can play with him" ? I did. I was also simultaneously a little horrified by it.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying that there are lots of different kinds of "funny" and "hilarious."
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    As a Buckeye fan, I come down on the side of this poking (luv u Lucky) fun at Paterno Town.

Buckeye fans are notoriously ardent. There's a "punk" band called the Dead Schembechlers that was named after a famed TSUN (that school up north) coach - he was still alive when the band was formed and they very briefly changed their name when he died (which resulted in a loss to TSUN so it was short-lived) - whose songs are such witty treats as "Bomb Ann Arbor Now" "I Peed in Ann Arbor's Water Supply" "*kitten* Lloyd Carr" and "I Wanna *kitten* Brutus Buckeye".

Big Ten rivalries are brutal and the Ohio State/TSUN rivalry is consistently noted as one of the most fervent in all of sports. Why some folks from Ohio won't even say the name of that state.

All that said, I WOULD rather shower at Penn State than cheer for the scUM.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a little suprised that so many people agree with me on this. While I would never where the shirt, I also have a bad sense of humor and have probably joked about things along these lines.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add, hey LuckyLeprechaun, nice rack!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    :laugh: :love: :blushing: :smooched: :happy:
  • EvanKeel
    Options

Speaking of, every time I see a cleavage shot, I get slightly annoyed at the lack of profile pics of hot guys with close ups of them wearing jock straps.

It's lame. Were I hot, I might consider starting the trend.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    calling that shirt hilarious is a stretch...but it is funny.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Speaking of, every time I see a cleavage shot, I get slightly annoyed at the lack of profile pics of hot guys with close ups of them wearing jock straps.

There's no shortage of six-packs, though........Although, I don't know if that's your flavor ;)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty funny t-shirt IMO. Nothing said against the kids or victims. Just poking fun at the school in general.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

There's no shortage of six-packs, though........Although, I don't know if that's your flavor ;)

Eh, I can take it or leave it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty low class, but then again, college football can be pretty crass. I mean, I have a shirt that says Roll Tide Roll down the toilet bowl...

I wouldn't wear it (even if I actually liked OSU), but wouldn't really get pissed if someone else did.