Ener G Tapioca Loaf - Gluten Like Response

Options
Anyone else have a gluten-like response to Ener G Tapioca Loaf? I had a slice of the bread today and felt like total and utter crap most of the day. Still unsure what ingredient set off the reaction. Cross contamination with the rice flour? Yeast? Baking Powder? Tapioca Starch?

Ingredients: Filtered Water, Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Pear Juice Concentrate, Bamboo Fiber, Yeast, Methylcellulose, Guar Gum, Orange Citrus Fiber, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Baking Powder (Glucono Delta Lactone, Calcium Carbonate & Magnesium Carbonate). Enriched with Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2),Niacin, Iron ,Folic acid and Vitamin D.

Link to image of what the bag looks like.
http://www.gfgrocery.com/image/cache/data/ProductPhotos/Ener-G-Tapioca-Loaf-500x500.jpg

Replies

• restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I sent a list to you hope it help it has helped me over the last 10 years.

the loaf looks ok but you never know about Cross contamination with wheat, rye, barley and most oat.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I sent a list to you hope it help it has helped me over the last 10 years

Thank you :smile:
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I seen the bread I use it before and had no issues but udis taste is a lot better. you can find it in the frozen foods.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It may be a good idea to inspect everything you ate on that day. It can be something else too - possibly a hidden ingredient in something.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    http://www.celiaccess.com/products/mccormick-grill-mates-174-smokehouse-maple-seasoning/p1lns7b/

This is interesting. I looked up that McCormick seasoning that you had, and found this link. The website says that they clearly stated that their individual spices are generally gluten free but that they don't maintain a list of gluten free regarding their mixes. Basically, this could be your source of gluten. Do you have it often? Is it a new bottle maybe? I'd be a bit suspicious about that one. You could always try the bread again - but DON'T have that spice on the same day and see if you get a reaction OR test the spice out again with something else.

This weblink mentions if you see "natural flavor" - it's definitely questionable as to it being gluten free.

http://www.celiaccess.com/search.aspx?f=company:"McCormick+&+Company,+Inc."&p=4
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    http://www.celiaccess.com/products/mccormick-grill-mates-174-smokehouse-maple-seasoning/p1lns7b/

This is interesting. I looked up that McCormick seasoning that you had, and found this link. The website says that they clearly stated that their individual spices are generally gluten free but that they don't maintain a list of gluten free regarding their mixes. Basically, this could be your source of gluten. Do you have it often? Is it a new bottle maybe? I'd be a bit suspicious about that one. You could always try the bread again - but DON'T have that spice on the same day and see if you get a reaction OR test the spice out again with something else.

This weblink mentions if you see "natural flavor" - it's definitely questionable as to it being gluten free.

http://www.celiaccess.com/search.aspx?f=company:"McCormick+&+Company,+Inc."&p=4

This spice is our family's favorite. We have had it on several occasions and none seem to give me a response but I will pay closer attention next time and see if it feels like there's any inflammation or intestinal distress.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I hope it doesn't end up being the spice. I generally get paranoid and double check anytime I buy something only because they keep mixing up stuff so one day you're fine - the next - not so much. Do make sure you tell us how it goes...I'd be curious as I'm now worried about trying those.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I use ener-g dinner rolls and have been ok and even a ting amount of gluten will upset me. I would also have a look at what else you had that day.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Nope. Ate the Ener G light tapioca then switched to the Udi's a few years back. Udi's definitely tastes better.

I've heard of people having weird reactions with cows milk. I know people who drink milk all the time and will have an odd reaction here or there. Just something to ponder.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Turns out it was the lentils and not the bread all along. Each time I had the lentils it made me sick. I wish beans were easier to digest, they are so cheap!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Heh. Those darn lentils got me too. I've been GF for over 10 years and had stayed away from lentils for the most part, until just recently. Figured I'd give them a try and they did me in!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options

Apparently, there is cross contamination with lentils. This guy shows how to hunt through your lentils to make sure that you don't accidentally ingest wheat grains (or others). He even shows you what to look for. It's pretty common from what he says (looks like he's some sort of speaker on the topic).

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy this AND you could pull your bag of lentils out and verify that you don't have any grains mixed in. It might be fun for the kids too. You just need some white plates and your bag of lentils and you mine sorta like looking for gold (that's how he describes it).

Oops. I had to edit my posting....eating lentils is the point. LOL.