Started the process...

Options
I have started the process for the vertical sleeve surgery! It has been a long road to come to this decision, but have decided that this would be the best thing for me. I see the dietician and psych next week. As well I have started using MFP again to track my food and exercise so I can lose the pre-surgery weight.

I have to ask, what is it really like after the surgery? Any tips for me?

Thanks!!

Replies

• SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's surreal after surgery. The weight flies off and it is hard for the head to catch up to the body. I'm 9 months out and my head still sees the 255 pound woman in the mirror. It's also very rewarding. I worked out pre-surgery and had virtually no results. After, I did the same workout and dropped weight like crazy. It was so rewarding to actually see benefits from the hard work I put it!

Tips? Hmmmmm.....well, first, don't buy a bunch of things for after surgery. You will end up with a lot of waste! I know I STILL have soups and protein from my pre-surgery days that I have not used.

Buying new clothes is expensive. I would suggest wearing your current clothes until they are about ready to fall off. I know how tempting it can be to buy smaller sizes just because you can, but it becomes an expensive habit. I have now replaced my ENTIRE (socks, bras, panties, shirts, pants, etc) wardrobe twice. Some of the clothes I bought I never even got to wear because I was dropping sizes so quickly. Of course, when you cannot wear your current clothes anymore, you will have to buy new, but don't go crazy! A few pairs of things will go a long way. Lesson learned! lol

Avoid dehydration at all costs. It can put you back in the hospital if you are not careful. I have seen it happen too many times.

Your tastes will probably change after surgery. What you like know may be absolutely revolting to you later, and vice versa. I HATED even the smell of bacon before my surgery and could not get enough of it after. Now, I am back to normal, but prepare for that to possibly happen!

Your eyes will be bigger than your stomach. Leftovers will be your friend. Choose your food wisely and try to avoid falling back into old, bad habits.

Your hair will fall out. You cannot stop it or slow it down, no matter what shampoo you use or vitamins you take. Once it starts to grow again, those shampoos and vitamins will help, but not during the process. It will probably feel like you're going bald, but you won't! Don't panic too much, it's completely natural.

Last, but not least, good luck and enjoy! It is a wild ride, but it is every bit worth it =)
  • JMDavis10
    Options
    Thanks! It is good to hear from people that have had it. I only know people that have done the RNY, so they think I am crazy for choosing the sleeve. I think it is the best fit for me and the more I hear about it, the more I know I am making the right choice.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the sleeve to the RNY. I don't like the malabsorption associated with the RNY. It can be extremely dangerous if levels fall and very hard to bring them back up.

Sleevers do not lose weight as fast as RNYers, so please do not compare YOUR journey to anyone else's. Everyone is different =)