Rolled Oats - How'd You React?

Options
Because I need to get more fiber in my diet (and because my wife does not like beans) I decided to buy a supermarket version of 100% whole grain rolled oats (ingredients: Rolled Oats). This morning, after being gluten free for 5.5 months, I gave it a try; and now I'm worried because I read that wheat and oats are grown in the same fields and often cross contaminate. How do you react to whole grain oats?

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As a daughter of a farmer, seeing the harvest process, I can assure you that there is a good chance of cross contamination from wheat (even corn and soy). Grains are harvested by the same equipment, hauled in the same wagons, stored in bins and these are not washed out after use for one grain, before using for another.

There is a company farm, owned by a family of Celiacs I found on the net, glutenfreeoats.com, that assures their oatmeal is not contaminated.

I can't give reaction report, as I went grain free and never bothered trying oatmeal. If I were to, I would most definitely look for a source like the one I listed above.
    I hope you don't react.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Me too. :cry:
    So far so good, but these things aren't always "instant".... I think I'm just going to have to move to beans regardless. Too much worry involved with grains. And grains have anti-nutrients anyways. Well, so do beans, but you can soak them and heat them at high temperatures to get rid of most of them...
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I get Bobs red mill gluten free and I have had no issue. I cook them in the crokpot over night.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    do you have a good recipe you can share?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Rolled Oats turned out to be a fail for me. I have intestinal inflammation. :sick:
  • archgeo
    archgeo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've signed up to this group because I might be able to shed some light on the whole oats and gluten issue. I'm the Quality Manager of an Oat Mill and have had to answer this question numerous times before.

In short:

Gluten is the name given to the protein in wheat, rye, barley and oats that affect people with Coeliac
    disease. Other people can be intolerant to gluten without it having adverse health affects on the gut. Gluten is a composite name representing –

Gliadin in Wheat
    Hordein in Barley
    Secalin in Rye
    Avenin in Oats

The current tests for gluten can measure gliadin, hordein, and secalin but not avenin as it is a slightly
    different protein.

So when people discuss gluten free oats (and laboratories advise that oats are gluten free) what
    should be said is that they are free from wheat (and rye, barley) gliadin i.e. there is no measurable
    contamination. Avenin is an essential part of oats (as gliadin is with wheat). Oats will never be gluten (ie avenin) free
    [even if they are described as gluten (i.e. gliadin) free].

Approximately 1 in 5 people who are intolerant to the gluten in Wheat, Barley & Rye are also intolerant to the gluten in Oats. That does however leave 80% of people who are knowingly gluten intolerant being able to tolerate Oats.

What I usually recommend people to do is to (under dietary or medical supervision - this clears me from wrong doings) slowly add a SMALL amount of oats into their diet after being completely gluten free (including oats) and getting their health / diet where they want it. Add approx a half serving (around 20g) and wait at least 2 days before trying another half serve.

As for cross contamination - yes there is likely to be a small amount depending on where the oats come from (North America & Canada being much larger can certify a wheat free oat - in NZ we can't). There is wind blown contamination on occasion - in 1kg we are talking around 5 flakes (grains) of wheat in a wholegrain variant - If this concerns people there are ways of distinguishing oats from wheat through visual methods.

Wishing you all luck with Oats. Feel free to ask me any questions I'll answer as best I can.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    :grumble: This should be posted on the product IMO

On the bright side, taking an Ibuprofen seemed to kill the inflammation and I feel better; but I fear the damage that was done today. :angry:
  • restoreleanne
    Options
    Did you get oat that are Gluten Free, It will say it on the bag. even the steel cut oat may test + due to cross contamination. I have learn this the hard way.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Did you get oat that are Gluten Free, It will say it on the bag. even the steel cut oat may test + due to cross contamination. I have learn this the hard way.

It didn't specify whether or not it was manufactured in a center that handles wheat, barley, or rye. I just looked at the container, saw the 100% and fell trap for consumerism.... Actually, a really cute and super slender 20 something female grabbed some and I fell victim of copy catting the skinny girl. :indifferent:

Anyways, I threw them away. Worst $3 experience I've ever had. :embarassed:
  • restoreleanne
    Options
    that doesn't work with oats . you have to look for it to say it on the bag. its hard with your starting out to know what to look for.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You can find Gluten free oats by Bob Mills in most health food stores. It's usually a very big bag so you'll get plenty and it's not too expensive. He supposedly gets his from a source that only deals with oats (no wheat fields) which means they are safe to eat as they shouldn't have any cross contamination. Basically, no wheat fields to cause that problem. :)