Help! Healthy lunch box ideas needed

Options
Tomorrow is the first day back at school here and I want to start the year off right with healthy
lunches for my son. Any suggestions? We don't eat any type of pork product and to
make things harder, he is very picky.

Replies

• Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Boy, I'd like to see some thoughts on this.

** BUMP **
  • Kristy713ckm
    Options
    I homeschool my son, so I don't PACK lunches. And my PICKY son wants JUNK. So, finding healthier options, and just low-cal options is hard.

I've been buying the "baked" snack chips so they're portioned out. He's usually good about just eating ONE bag which is about 100 calories. It's not much, but it's not meant to fill the tummy, but curb the urge to "eat".

I'm terrible about using pre-packaged foods, and I focus on healthy protein (which some people abstain from), and encourage fruits and veggies when possible. And allow "treats", stressing "portion" size.

I really hope I see some posts on this!
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn´t see the post before now as I can´t see message boards on my phone and as you have written - school has started! So not much time to be online :)

We bake healthier alternatives on weekends and use very few processed foods. Ideas - mini pizzas (whole wheat crust, sauce, low fat cheese, ham and pineapple) - small hotdog rolls (same crust wrapped around a chicken hotdog) - rye bread rolls - homemade snackbars with oats, nuts and a very small amount of chopped dark chocolate.

Otherwise my kids also love leftovers - whole wheat pasta (cold) mixed with diced ham, cheese, corn and maybe some diced cucumber or tomatoes. Then they can put whatever "dressing" they like - one takes ketchup and one takes salad dressing.
    We try to make the lunches right after supper and they get to pick which fruits, veggies and bread item they want. It is alot easier to get them to eat it, if they are making decisions about what goes in. We don´t have chips or sweets in lunches here - although they once in a while are allowed to put a homemade cookie in :smile:
  • Kristy713ckm
    Options
    Awesome Tips! I'd love to print and try some of those! :smile: