FitBit calculation?

Options
I am new to the Lesley Sansone video workouts, but am loving all three (1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile express) that I have tried. The last 2 times I did the workouts I wore my FitBit and checked the mileage at beginning and end. The FitBit is way off. I know there is bound to be some variance and that the little device sometimes drops back to 0 and starts over, but both times it has recorded only about half the distance I am walking. Has anyone had experience with this? I have enjoyed using my FitBit and it seems to work pretty accurately for the real walks I take.

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Because the workouts involve so many other types of steps, you're not going to ge an accurate read... It is my understanding that it won't pick up side steps, kicks, ec. It is probably only logging the time you are walking in place, or walking forwards and backwards. But they are a wonderful workout!
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That makes sense! Thanks.
  • divone1
    divone1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I got a FitBit in January and I'm really not thrilled with it. I like using my heart rate monitor instead. It calculates the calories so each day I try to beat my most calories burned for say 3 miles or 4 miles whatever I do. I think there are too many "steps" that don't get counted with the FitBit, but it totally motivates me to do the workouts so that I have enough steps for the day.
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you have, and where did you buy it? I have an old one that I bought years ago when I had a Nordic Track but it doesn't work anymore. I tend to agree with you about the FitBit. I got it originally because I thought it was neat that it synced with MFP, but that never worked very well for me either.