Emotional Reaction to a Long Lasting Plateau

Options
After losing 66 lbs in one year, I've reached the nastiest plateau ever - 15 weeks so far! Basically gaining & losing the same 6 lbs repeatedly. I think I've been handling it pretty well. I've stayed the course & will not deviate. I increased the intensity of my workouts. I'm in week 5 of C25K. I started doing deadlifts & planks. I've gone down 1.5 sizes in the past 3 months. So why am I so bummed? I'm really getting down on myself about not being pretty. I'm cute. But will never be pretty. Some have it, I don't. That bothers me. Makes me sad. Not usually, but I'm pms ing so that's probably why I'm pulling a "woe is me" rant. I even changed my profile pic cuz I was sick of looking at myself. I'm not depressed or weak minded, just really frustrated & would love to see some progress I imagine this is just an inevitable emotional reaction to anyone who reaches a long lasting plateau. After all, my total weight loss goal is 120 lbs. That's an entre person!

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it's the psychological weight that's the hardest to lose.

Good luck.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Hope that helps. Basically, to break a plateau you need to change your routine...........and some!.

As for the emotional roller coaster I can only practically suggest that you eat more (complex) carbs (that release seratonin, the 'happy' hormone) (I dont know if you're low on carbs or not, but I get down on myself when I am, so its just a suggestion - opt for over 130g per day for efficient brain function) and take Oil of Evening Primrose supplements to balance your hormones.

But mostly, look at how far you've come!! :bigsmile: 66lbs is AMAZING!! :flowerforyou:
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scales for a while, while they have not changed in 3 months you are down 1 and half dress sizes so you your body composition is still changing for the better.

I hit a really bad multi month plateau too, I tried everything I could to bust it, I went harder and I ate less, nothing worked.

In the end it was doing the opposite for a couple of months that fixed it. I trained less and ate more, I put on a little weight but not much, I think it was muscle because I never had to loosen my belt. 2 weeks ago I started cutting ahead my birthday and I have dropped a couple of kilograms each week since then.

I will continue to cut for another week and a half then I will eat however I like for a month before cutting again.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining some weight lately, I know it will be easy to lose it again.
    I will feel like an achiever when I will lose it again.
    Rinse and repeat. You are an eternal achiever too!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was literally at 153 pounds for a year once, despite eating clean and working out about an hour 4-5x a week. The only exception was the monthly water weight gain most women experience. A whole year. The good news is, the weight didn't change, but when I look back at pictures you can see some body tightening.

Then one week my weight actually dropped to 151 lbs. I was elated! I was so excited to finally break this plateau. And that was the week I found out I was pregnant ;-)
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration and am with you. I'm at 12 weeks myself other than a few lbs gained and lost on vacation. I'm changing sizes as well, which is great but doesn't make the scale not moving feel better after losing 70 lbs. everyone will say to change your routine... Sounds great but doesn't always work either. Stubborn body!!!! I completely changed my routine, watched my eating more, and still nothing on the scale but man are things getting loose quickly! Keep at it and keep me posted on what works!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've been between 140 and 145 for about a year now. It sucks. The only time it changes is when I am suffering from a Chron's Disease flare up when it drops about 5 pounds in a day then skyrockets immediately after ebfore settling back down to the 140-145 range.

I vent my anger out on on one of my friends because it's amusing to me. (And he's not one to back down)
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I say as long as you are still getting smaller .. who cares what the scale says! That is the goal right .. to get smaller .. to be healthy. You are eating right, exercising and getting smaller and tighter .. that is the goal. Screw the scale.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration and am with you. I'm at 12 weeks myself other than a few lbs gained and lost on vacation.

yeah, what IS it about vacation weight!! Took 2 weeks to gain... 2 weeks later it hasn't budged!!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I say as long as you are still getting smaller .. who cares what the scale says! That is the goal right .. to get smaller .. to be healthy. You are eating right, exercising and getting smaller and tighter .. that is the goal. Screw the scale.
    I agree! My weight isn't dropping is fast as I would like, but I have dropped from a size 14 to a size 10 this summer. The scale irks me, but when I see people and they comment on how much weight I've lost, it's not because they can see the number on my scale. Only I can. They see me getting thinner, like you are getting thinner with all your hard work. Changing your body takes time and sometimes losing lbs and tightening everything up doesn't happen at the same time.

Obviously, what you are doing is working - you just can't measure it in the way we are conditioned to - with a weigh in.

Measure yourself instead and see how your clothes are fitting. Screw the scale!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so upset but I can totally relate. I've actually gained some recently and am very frustrated with myself. Focus on the positives like your size changing and how your endurance feels. :flowerforyou:
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The funny thing is, even though I've gone down a size & a half, my measurements have barely even changed in the past 2-3 months (maybe 1/4 inch). It's really odd.

Anna - I'm picking up the evening primrose today! The link was awesome too! My macros are set at 45/30/25 (carbs/protein/fat). I'm closely watching the fat b/c I want to stay off all the meds. I have saturated fat set to 7%. My carbs are healthy carbs for the most part.

MyNewZen - I think my body has the same reaction as yours. I've increased my cals to 1800 & cut back on my workouts. Gonna try this for 2-3 weeks & see what happens. I just did a search on cutting. Still not 100% sure what it is but it led me to Bodybuilding.com & I became very interested with Kathleen Tesori's Fitness Program so I'm sure that's a great start.

JanieJack - I know the feeling. I was on NutriSystem back in 1988 & lost 34 lbs, only had 16 more to go when I found out I was pregnant with my 1st child.

NC - I'll definitely keep you posted on when & how this monster finally breaks.

To everyone - thanks so much. This journey is teaching me so much more than I could have ever possibly imagined and it's great to know that I have awesome people like you in my support system! I'm really not familiar with each of your accomplishments but I want to say congrats to all of you for what you have accomplished so far! :flowerforyou: I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Count your blessings... My plateau is 9 months.

Like others have said... Just try to ignore the scale! It'll make you all crazy if you're worrying about those numbers all of the time.

I hope you break it! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah I hit a plateau in October of 2010. I'll see your fifteen weeks....

tumblr_lguibzdNhQ1qzbl7f.gif
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Save yourself some personal hell and please please realize right now that your gravitational pull is not a measure of fitness.

Your measurements.
    Your efficiency or inefficiency at exercise.
    The amount of weight you lift.
    The speed that you run.
    The number of miles that you rack up under your belt.
    The Way you look at food.
    The way your shopping cart looks at checkout.
    The changes in the foods you crave.
    The changes in the way your clothing fits.
    The way you look in the mirror.
    The amount of lean mass/body fat% you are working with.

Not the freaking scale.

You can lose 40 pounds tomorrow and your skin would be hanging off your bones and you'd never want anyone to see you naked.

Or you can realize that there is 90% more to getting a great strong body than that stupid white square on the bathroom floor.

PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE realize this.

I want you to be happy, not beating yourself up over your gravitational pull.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Save yourself some personal hell and please please realize right now that your gravitational pull is not a measure of fitness.

Your measurements.
    The speed that you run.

Not the freaking scale.

You can lose 40 pounds tomorrow and your skin would be hanging off your bones and you'd never want anyone to see you naked.

Or you can realize that there is 90% more to getting a great strong body than that stupid white square on the bathroom floor.

PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE realize this.

I don't know if y'all realize this, but Yoovie is a goddess. Take her advice. Take it and put it in your brain.
  • newmein2013
    Options

Your measurements.
    The speed that you run.

Not the freaking scale.

PLEASE
    PLEASE
    PLEASE realize this.

This is great! Thanks Yoovie! I do realize these things and I'm very grateful for how far I've come, mentally & physically. It's been an incredible journey. I think I just wasn't even aware that plateaus could last so long. It hadn't even bothered me until the other day. I'm blaming it on pms, lol. Congrats on your weight loss by the way. Awesome job!

Anna - the Evening of Primrose is working fantastically! Thanks again!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna start a big debate about what style of eating everyone should do, but have you tried the "paleo" or "primal" way of eating? It's tough because you can't have any grains, but every time I consistently eat that way I always feel better, sleep better, have more energy, and fat drops off me like crazy.

But I love chocolate and beer a lot, so I usually do it for a while then gradually begin to cheat. If only I could find a happy balance! :laugh:
  • newmein2013
    Options
    I don't wanna start a big debate about what style of eating everyone should do, but have you tried the "paleo" or "primal" way of eating? It's tough because you can't have any grains, but every time I consistently eat that way I always feel better, sleep better, have more energy, and fat drops off me like crazy.

But I love chocolate and beer a lot, so I usually do it for a while then gradually begin to cheat. If only I could find a happy balance! :laugh:

Definitely not for me, but thanks for suggesting it. I can't seem to go that low carb.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Anna - the Evening of Primrose is working fantastically! Thanks again!

I'm so pleased. Keep taking it at least 10 days before your period every month. I take it all the time, and have been doing so for about 10 years. I swear by it! That and cod liver oil! Yeah, keeps your skin supple and your hormones in check! :flowerforyou: