3 to 5 to stay ALIVE!!!!!!!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
I was watching the news and a study came out that organic is not any more nutritious then conventional foods. I am not sure but I think they were focusing on fruits and vegetables. I have never read or seen any book, magazine or nutritionist tout that organic is more nutritious then conventional...just a prevention measure from excess pesticides and any other 'cide' they decide to put on the fields of veggies and fruits!
Anyhoo, the point is we all should be getting our 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day! We adults are still lagging behind in this area so what does that say about our kids?! Gasp!

So organic or conventional GET YOUR 3 TO 5 servings today! Dare I say a whole fruit or vegetable. Not juice. The benefits we could actually have a seminar on all day!
So crunch on some carrots or let the juice dribble down your chin from a lucious peach! Get tah cracking!!!!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I will have to make this up when I get home after work and the gym! I only have peas in my soup and some unsweetened applesauce with me!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Challenge accepted :) I've already had peas & carrots with my dinner (there was over 1 portion of peas & about 1/2 portion of carrots) so that's 1 1/2 down!!!!
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i've got all kinds of fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries) packed in my lunch today, and I have tomatoes in my dinner... my schedule has not allowed me to make it to the grocery store to stock up on my salad ingredients... but i have plums in my fridge too, so i'll grab one when i get home!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes! Usually not a problem for me but when I'm not planning, restaurant foods can get in the way - this week's definitely produce-heavy!
    Addendum for anyone interested, too...
    And with regard to the nutrition, I think people sometimes think organic is more nutritious for a deceptive reason - almost anything picked at peak ripeness and not long after harvest is a lot more nutritious - and almost always a lot tastier - than produce harvested early and allowed to travel and hang around for days or weeks. So knowing how to choose produce and where to shop for it's as important as anything.

Peaches, melons, strawberries and tomatoes should have strong enough aromas to smell as you walk by. Melons may have started to look old in places but as long as they're not visibly moldy, if they smell strong, you should be in for an awesome melon.

Deeper colors in produce (also often seen in organic produce, due to the natural side effects of the organic growing restrictions rather than necessarily the lack of pesticide - which is also a good thing!) generally correspond with better flavor and usually more nutrient content - so if you compare a dull/pale green, big, flaccid green bell pepper with a darker, shinier, harder (possibly smaller) one, the taste and aroma is worlds apart (i actually grew up hating green bell because I mainly only ever had the first kind). So look for fruit and veg that's heavy for its size (as citrus, onions, garlic), firm and shiny, with deep color and no blemishes from age/rot ("bug" scars or irregular growth are not an issue). Size can be a counterintuitive indicator of taste and nutrition - lots of modern strains bred to grow big, fast (and to resist decay off the vine) lose characteristics of depth of flavor and potentially nutrient density compared to produce growing slower, and possibly not as large.
  • ajbarnet23
    ajbarnet23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Will do ! I already had a banana and for dinner cooking chicken,broccilli and corn.
  • singingpeach6301
    singingpeach6301 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This morning I had tomato, spinache, and mushrooms with my eggs.
    For lunch I have a salad with snap peas, tomato, and cucumber.
    For dinner I will have an artichoke and asparagus with salmon.
    I also had 1 cup of fruit with breakfast and have another cup for a snack later.

I think I'm good to go for this goal!! :D
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My stock of vegetables and fruits are slim today and this week but I will do my best. I did have a clementine and I will eat the last of the cauliflower later. Oh and I had bits of red pepper and celery that were left over.
  • kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Will do, have cherry tomatoes for snack and carrots, will eat a nice salad with dinner. :flowerforyou:
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    From Mz Fury: "Peaches, melons, strawberries and tomatoes should have strong enough aromas to smell as you walk by. Melons may have started to look old in places but as long as they're not visibly moldy, if they smell strong, you should be in for an awesome melon."

YOU said nothing but a word!!!! When I go to the Farmer's Market the strawberries this spring were singing so fragrant and a melon's sweet sweet aroma will knock you down and beg you to buy it! I l slurped all week that time! Delicious like you said! I read melons should be heavy too...means a good pick.

Lunch: I roasted some beets, chooped apple, onions with romaine lettuce and goat cheese dressing....I cannot describe how good this is now!!!!!!!!
  • Turtlehugger
    Turtlehugger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Done. Today's menu includes: blueberries, strawberries, carrots, and celery. I also have a big salad for dinner.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Besides the salad I had tomatoes and lettuce and onions with my sandwich. I think I had a banana too as a snack.
    Get those fruits and veggies in guys! Even if you have to hide them in food like the zucchini in my muffin yesterday.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/organic-versus-conventional-produce/?e=5DlAvWmW

Read this interesting article! Share your opinions on just eating more F&V and the idea of organic eats.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the article I read it and found it hopeful and encouraging. I will keep trying to implement more fruits and vegetables in my diet. Today has not been a good example of that but I will press on and begin again, right now.

"No more cookies for you (me)!" :noway: