Starting Today

Options
Hello All!!

I'm a newbie here in the realm of MFP forums and groups and decided to see if there was a Stronglifts group and there is! YAY!!

I will be starting my "A" day today.

Little background on me, I did the Body for Life program about 18months ago and lost 65lbs on that, which is also a weight lifting program. I was thinking of doing Stronglifts after my 12 week BFL period was over, but then got ill with some sort of mystery illness.

Long story short, I had issues breathing and got kind of bummed about not being able to move and after getting tested up the wazoo, they found nothing except a severe case of bronchitis that led to pneumonia and then led to edema in my legs. I gained back 30lbs along the way and being that I was at 215lbs at the end of BFL, it was disheartening to see such huge gains back. This all occurred last year around this time so I am ready to begin anew and still am interested in doing stronglifts.

For the past month, I have been primarily focusing on getting back into decent condition - I started working out 3 days a week with some strength training and cardio and tracking calories here at MFP. I haven't really been focusing on losing weight and really haven't lost any, which is strange considering I'm so heavy right now, but I have lost quite a few inches and even 3 off my waist itself. I anticipate losing more on Stronglifts.

I also am still plagued by the edema, which is moderate swelling in my ankles and feet. I was on a prescribed water pill for this but it made my asthma flair up something fierce, when usually I am not bothered by it unless there is extreme weather. My doctor felt I was having an allergic reaction to it so I had to stop taking it and now I do feel I am gaining water weight. I weigh 5lbs more now than I did after gaining back the 30lbs since stopping the water pill so am at 250lbs, which is horrible IMO.

So right now I am focusing on strength and some moderate cardio after my 5X5 workouts. I also want to incorporate one day of cardio only into my diet. I have also lowered my caloric count on MFP from the 1lb per week amount to 1.5lbs per week, which leaves my calories at a bit over 1500. I think this is doable for me and am excited to begin the 5X5 program.