Hi. I'm new. And terrified. LMAO.

Options
Hi. I'm Allison. They just opened a brand spanky new box in my area, the only one in the area. I know some people from other forums who crossfit and love it. I really want to try it. I'm really terrified.

1. This is one of those irrational- it's probably just me- fears. You know the joke "I have to get in shape to go to the gym"? I feel like I still need to lose more weight before I can try crossfit.

2. I have a bad shoulder. I've dislocated in 3 times- 1999, 2002 (resulting in an arthroscopy), and last summer. I just don't want to do anything to injure it again.

Replies

• barth84
    Options
    Hi Allison,
    I've been crossfitting for about 2 years now and love it. I don't think there's a better program for anyone regardless of their abilty, size, or pre-existing injuries. The beautiful thing about crossfit is that all of the workouts can be scaled to fit a person's needs and abilities. I think the gymnastics and oly lifts that are incorporated in the program will probably help to strengthen your shoulder and also improve your shoulder flexibility. Obviously this should all be done under the watchful eye of a trainer. I think the level one certified trainers are the best out there. Hope this info helps. You should also check out the main crossfit website. There's a ton of info on there.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison,
    I've been crossfitting for about 2 years now and love it. I don't think there's a better program for anyone regardless of their abilty, size, or pre-existing injuries. The beautiful thing about crossfit is that all of the workouts can be scaled to fit a person's needs and abilities. I think the gymnastics and oly lifts that are incorporated in the program will probably help to strengthen your shoulder and also improve your shoulder flexibility. Obviously this should all be done under the watchful eye of a trainer. I think the level one certified trainers are the best out there. Hope this info helps. You should also check out the main crossfit website. There's a ton of info on there.

Agree with the shoulder part. Working out with your shoulder in a right way will strength your shoulders as it did to mine.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison - enjoy the box and ride the "anxiety wave" that each new WOD brings.

And welcome to the group!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be in shape to do CrossFit. But you do want to make sure that you go to a CrossFit gym that has good coaches.

Definitely let the coaches know about your shoulder. CrossFit can be hard on the shoulders. I hurt my right shoulder several weeks ago because I got sloppy with my form on ring dips. Now I try to be very aware and very careful with my shoulder position.

I think CrossFit appears to be scarier than it is. Do the movements at a level appropriate for you and you will be fine :)
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, the anxiety comes with the territory as every session brings a new challenge. I was so hesitant when I started, but by having a one on one session to go through my previous injuries, I was able to understand what I could do and what I have to scale (which is a LOT).

I have been going since March and every time I leave the box, the feeling of accomplishment can't be beat.

PS - I am also extremely overweight compared to most of the other people, but no one has ever made me feel any less capable.

Take the plunge!
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    yep, it's intimidating, but don't worry- they can scale it to fit your needs.

my box did a Athlete of the month once that kinda hits this topic - your choice to watch or not, but it holds true for some of us.

and yep, I started at my box at 265 lbs and I'm 5'1", so to say morbidly obese would be an understatment, yet they kept me going and I've been going back 4-5 x a week for about 3 years now and love every moment

Enjoy it - and starting at a new box is always fun!
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i tried my first WOD at a box near my house and i didn't die. give it a shot. I liked it enough to make the decision to return tomorrow...right now I can't do more than 2x month with all the other activities I'm doing...NROLFW, running 3x week and soccer 2x week otherwise i'd drop in for more.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 at my box. I just graduated to the "big girl class", as I call it, and I am terrified EVERY DAY by what my WOD might be. BUT....I still show up, I think I might die and NEVER regret going! The anxiety is just part of the experience. Everything is scaleable and you'll only get better every time you go.

My box is amazing. I have great coaches and even the people who I stop and stare at because I'm SO amazed at what they can do, will stop and help me so I can get there one day. It's an amazing support group that I have never gotten anywhere else.

Good luck!