Getting Stronger

Options
RHSheetz
RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
I have been lifting heavy for almost a year now, and over the last three months it seems that my progress in getting stronger has stalled. This spring my trainer has switched me from 3 sets of 10 reps to 3 sets of 12- 15 reps, so I needed to drop the weight back to get to the 12 reps. I have been working from there to increase to 15 reps in my 3 sets. Once I hit 15 reps and do that consistently for two weeks, I increase the weight and drop back to 12 reps.

Anyway, my question, I am currently eating at a small deficit. But I am making sure to get plenty of protein. So, is getting stronger similar to adding muscle (i.e. you must eat above your calorie needs) or could it be other issues (such as lack of sleep and/or a need to change up the program to hit the muscle differently).

Thanks for your comments.

Bob

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Strength gains can be made in a deficit but you will come to a limit.

If you are looking to gain strength then I'd be lowering the rep range to something like 5-8 (and same protocol as before).
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chris that typically for strength gains the rep range is from 5 to 8 and for muscle endurance it's typically 10-15 rep range. So, your approach seems okay other than the rep range. I say try switching to heavier weight with a lower rep range.

I.E.--Strong Lifts 5x5 you get 25 reps across 5 sets of heavier weight verse your standard 30 reps of light weight using the 3 sets of 10. The key is heavier weights for lower rep count.
  • RHSheetz
    Options
    Thanks! My trainer has her own view of how I should progress. It is time to mix up the program again, so I will see what she comes up with. Just wanted to make sure that my eating was OK.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    In order to get stronger, you will need to lift heavy weight in the 4-6 rep range. This rep range is pretty taxing, so make sure you get plenty of R&R between sets. It's not a race. Stick to compound movements like bench, squat and deadlifts. In addition, make sure you really work your back heavy (bent rows and pull ups). Heavy back work will work your bi's better than dumbbell curls any day of the week.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    What you are doing isn't strength training, hence you not getting much stronger.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    What chrisd said... and, if you are stalling then increase the weights by smaller increments and weekly instead of every session (if this is how often you increased the weight each time). I have stalled on upper body strength and am trying the madcow system to increase bench press, barbell rows and overhead press. My legs seem to be unstoppable at the moment. Also eating at a deficit might be hampering the recovery slightly. I am only going to go into deficit (to lose more fat) once I have finished my first round of strength training.
  • RHSheetz
    Options
    I have been finding that I am now able to increase weight every two to three weeks on most of my exercise (Some are requiring about 4 weeks). I have been struggling with the Biceps, so I went heavier and cut the reps back to 8-10 and I am working the reps up each week.