Let's activate this senior room

Options
I was here and now i'm coming back. There has not been any seniors in here for 4 months. I can't be the only senior who is over weight now am I.

Please come join me.

Replies

• mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK, I am wondering what happened to this group now that I found it. Can this group be reactivated for 2014? I am 57 1/2 with 3 grandchildren. I am a high school math teacher, not considering retiring for at least 2 1/2 more years...maybe longer, but I am hoping that this group will resurrect itself. I have lost 30 lbs overall and am looking to lose about 60 more. Who is with me? In this quest to become healthier and fit for ourselves and our grandchildren?
  • hatom525
    hatom525 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to be part of this group. Have 2 grandchildren with 2 on the way! Have about 30 pounds to lose: want to be active for the grandchildren!
  • mjgo56
    Options
    Well, so far you and I are the only ones who have checked in recently. I thought this was a great idea. We can check in periodically and maybe some more members will find us and we can resurrect this group's objective.Good luck to your endeavors in 2014
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    "Hey"..."hello"..."hi"... "over here"...<raising my hand in the air> " May I please join?"

I'm 58 and would love to join this group.

I've been floating around this site looking for just this place...a grandparents group. Yippee!

My goal is to lose 30 pounds by summer....exercise more and embrace my gray hair healthier and happier.

~Dianne

By the way I have 5 grandchildren.
  • mjgo56
    Options
    Yay! One by one we are coming around. I am almost 58 ( May) and I have lost 37 lbs from my high and I have about 60 more to go. I am hoping to get there by the end of this year. I have 3 grandchildren aged 3 months to 12 years. I am a high school geometry teacher and I spend 14 to 20 hours or more per week attending to my 80 year old mom. Kind of repeating myself a little....I am just so busy! I am sure you all are as well.
  • SpencersHeart
    Options
    Good Morning,

Just did a weigh in and have lost 6 pounds. <doing a happy dance>

My one concern is that I am losing too quickly. Does that make sense?

MFP has me at 1280 calories and some days I have a hard time eating that much. I get busy and forget to eat.

So how did I get overweight? I ate all the time because I was bored.

Since then I have gone back to work, exercise more and am watching what I eat and how much.

So I'm not doing the food to mouth thing "just because" and am much busier and as I said I am having a bit of a dilemma keeping my calories up to 1280.

Should I worry?

Thanks'
    ~D
  • mjgo56
    Options
    I am pretty sure you will be fine. I started a new regimen that advocates, for my weight and height, a calorie intake of 7500 calories a week. It involves eating basically 1000 cal/day for 5 days , then one "eat up" day of 1500, for 12 days, then it will change and cycles over a 12 week period. I lost 4 lbs the first week and probably would have lost more if I had exercised but I am having a hard time lately with that. One of the key ideas though is to eat enough protein, 75 g for me at this point. I can just get it to 60, but I think I have figured out how to eat more protein, but not the calories. It is against e MFP suggested intake, but I feel fine. Last year when I asked my physician what he advised for me to lose weight (he is Asian and just part of my health provider so not my first choice), he seriously told me to stick to 1200 calories a day plus 2 hours of exercise each day. Seriously. So, this would fall into what he said because if I exercised that much, it would certainly be a calorie net of like 800 calories if I had taken his advice. The other 2 key ideas is water intake and regular restorative sleep. So, if you feel fine, I am sure you are fine. Next time you see your doctor for a checkup you should ask him/her.
  • SpencersHeart
    Options
    I am pretty sure you will be fine. I started a new regimen that advocates, for my weight and height, a calorie intake of 7500 calories a week. It involves eating basically 1000 cal/day for 5 days , then one "eat up" day of 1500, for 12 days, then it will change and cycles over a 12 week period. I lost 4 lbs the first week and probably would have lost more if I had exercised but I am having a hard time lately with that. One of the key ideas though is to eat enough protein, 75 g for me at this point. I can just get it to 60, but I think I have figured out how to eat more protein, but not the calories. It is against e MFP suggested intake, but I feel fine. Last year when I asked my physician what he advised for me to lose weight (he is Asian and just part of my health provider so not my first choice), he seriously told me to stick to 1200 calories a day plus 2 hours of exercise each day. Seriously. So, this would fall into what he said because if I exercised that much, it would certainly be a calorie net of like 800 calories if I had taken his advice. The other 2 key ideas is water intake and regular restorative sleep. So, if you feel fine, I am sure you are fine. Next time you see your doctor for a checkup you should ask him/her.

Thank you for your reply.

I can't seem to be able to wrap my head around the posts about BMR, TDEE, MFP calorie counts.

I looked up mine using several calculators on different web sites and have a million different numbers LOL

So I'm just going to wing it and see what happens.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea... asking my doctor.

Thanks again,

~D
  • mjgo56
    Options
    Yes, I can't really get into the lingo either. If I have a question I usually ask my daughter. She thinks I am eating too few calories, but I told her that I feel fine. The eat up days are to help avoid binging and in my regimen they have a system of what to eat more of. When my 12 days of the 2 cycles of 5/1000 1/1500, then it will be cycles of 2/1000 1/1500 for two weeks. The first 2 eat up days I have to eat more "fat" laden calories if possible...the next 2 weeks, increase protein-rich foods on eat up days...I mean there is a schedule and I have to write those cycles down. But, hey, I feel great and not really deprived. I still have a hard time drinking water...1/2 my weight in ounces in the recommended....really hard in the "winter". There are a lot of testimonials (the Venus Factor) but I won't recommend anyone purchasing it until I have gone through the program myself. Good luck to you!