Hip/ IT band pain

Options
Cheeta_HH
Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
Hello!

I have recently started running longer distances. I completed a 10K in mid-August. Since then I have been following the Hal Higdon intermediate 15K plan.

I started getting stiffness in my left hip months ago, when I consistently ran 3-5 miles at a time. Now that I have been adding on more mileage, the stiffness has turned to pain (not so much as I'm running, but it sets in a few hours later). I feel it mostly where my thigh and hip meet, and also a bit on the outside of my upper thigh.

I use a foam roller, and it seems to help. I did a little research and found some exercises I can do to strengthen that area. I just started them this week.

Any other advice? Is this pretty typical?

Thanks! I've only been running for about 9 months, so all this is pretty new to me!

Replies

• frostysmama
    frostysmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hip pain is HORRIBLE and can be hard to get rid of once you have it. I get a dull pain when sitting every now and then if I'm not stretching. Keep stretching and foam rolling! One thing that has worked wonders for my pain is Bikram (Hot) Yoga. It's magic! Also - epsom salt baths are amazing. Good luck!!!!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Thanks!
    There is a Bikram yoga studio near me. I have gone there in the past... maybe it is time to check that out again!

I ran a few miles this morning and I feel fine. I usually only use my foam roller if I'm sore, but I am going to use it after every run and see if that helps!

Thanks for the advice!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do you know the Pigeon stretch? That is a good one.

Here are some "yoga for runners" stretches to check out.

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.athleta.net/2011/03/14/yoga-for-runners/
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Do you know the Pigeon stretch? That is a good one.

Here are some "yoga for runners" stretches to check out.

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.athleta.net/2011/03/14/yoga-for-runners/

Thank you so much! I will check these out!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have basically the same thing. The pain put me out of commission for a few weeks, and now I feel a little stiff the day after a longer run, especially when I sit for long periods of time. I've heard that stretching and strengthening the hips and core helps. I really need to get serious about the strengthening, because I've started my half marathon training and don't want to end up hurt again.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with an onset of IT band pain that started last weekend during my long run. I'm training for my first marathon and a pain in my knee started setting in around 9.5 miles. I stopped home for a quick break and water refill, but then another mile into my 12 for the day the pain got so bad I had to walk the rest of the way. I bought a foam roller, went for a sports massage, been icing, stretching, and tried to run today. I was able to a little over a mile fine, then took a walk break, but then after about another .25 miles I started feeling a pang that got worse the third I tried running... So now here I am, doc appt on Thurs, and a Half on Sunday which at this point I do no see happening unfortunately, and who knows about the marathon. I'm picturing the worst and her saying I can't run for a month+ and there goes everything.. Good luck and have a speedy recovery!!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    I'm dealing with an onset of IT band pain that started last weekend during my long run. I'm training for my first marathon and a pain in my knee started setting in around 9.5 miles. I stopped home for a quick break and water refill, but then another mile into my 12 for the day the pain got so bad I had to walk the rest of the way. I bought a foam roller, went for a sports massage, been icing, stretching, and tried to run today. I was able to a little over a mile fine, then took a walk break, but then after about another .25 miles I started feeling a pang that got worse the third I tried running... So now here I am, doc appt on Thurs, and a Half on Sunday which at this point I do no see happening unfortunately, and who knows about the marathon. I'm picturing the worst and her saying I can't run for a month+ and there goes everything.. Good luck and have a speedy recovery!!

Oh no! I hope you are better soon! I have fortunately not experienced any pain while I'm running... but the next day it kicks in. I ran a few miles Saturday and I felt good, so I did a long run yesterday. It went well, but this morning I was hurting! It went away by about noon. I'm going to go to the doctor too just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    I have basically the same thing. The pain put me out of commission for a few weeks, and now I feel a little stiff the day after a longer run, especially when I sit for long periods of time. I've heard that stretching and strengthening the hips and core helps. I really need to get serious about the strengthening, because I've started my half marathon training and don't want to end up hurt again.

I have a race on Saturday, and then not another one until early November, so I have some time to take care of it (if I can just make it through this week). Did you see a doctor?

Hope you make it through your training injury-free! Thanks for the advice!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem about six months after I started getting serious about running. For me, the problem was that I was running in the wrong type of shoes. Have you gone to a running store to have your foot and your running form analyzed? They will do it for free and tell you exactly what type of shoe you need. I needed a "Stability"type shoe, which ended up being Brooks Adrenaline for me. Zero hip pain ever since (that was 18 months ago) and I'm up to 40 miles a week now. It is a problem that will go away once your body has trained itself to run with correct and efficient form--I'm able to wear more minimal racing shoes now (Saucony Kinvara) without pain or stiffness.

Lots of good IT band and hip stretches that help a lot--go to runnersworld.com and take a look at their section on proper stretching and injury prevention, there are some very good tips there and demonstrations.

Good luck to you! I know the hip pain is not even remotely comfortable, from my own experience, but it is something that is easily correctable, so don't let it get you down!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree that stretching is imperative as are the correct shoes. Keep up the good work! (I am a huge Hal Higdon fan, too! He has helped me through many, many races)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check out this link.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

I has issues with my IT band last year and ended up walking the last 7km of a half marathon and missing 6 weeks or running. Stretching & foam roller helped but, for me, the final piece of the puzzle was paying a massage therapist to beat me up (trust me, it was painful) and she had me running after 2 sessions. I still go in once a month on a preventative basis and it's worth every penny.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump for info
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Thanks!

I am wearing shoes that I was fitted for at a New Balance store. I do think that I'm due for a new pair though. I love New Balance, but I think I'm going to go to Fleet Feet next time and see if there are some other options out there that may be better for me.

It is good to hear that it is something correctable! I feel like I finally found an exercise that I love and I don't want to give it up!

Thank you all for allowing me to justify treating myself to new shoes AND a massage! :)
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear that it is something correctable! I feel like I finally found an exercise that I love and I don't want to give it up!

Thank you all for allowing me to justify treating myself to new shoes AND a massage! :)

Awesome way of looking at it! We're here to help. :) Running is addictive because it is calming and yields fantastic results......that has been my experience. Glad you are enjoying it!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue the i couldn't run unless i did a ton of stretching before hand the only stretch that worked for me was laying on my back on throw over the bad leg across my body, you may have to roll to your side.. good luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

:laugh: :laugh: You may not be thanking us for the massage initially - it's not your afternoon at the spa type of massage but they are worth the tears.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am in training for my first full marathon and am having IT band issues too!

I have been able to make my milage but I had to reschedule my last long run (13 miles) in order to give myself an extra rest day. I have been OK on my other runs. I have an 18 miler this weekend that I am nervous about.

I will go get fitted for new shoes and keep stretching and rolling. Glucosamine and advil have been helping too.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I had IT band pain come on as well in the last month or so and I'm signed up to run a marathon next Sunday. I did everything I could think of (stretching, icing, resting, etc.) to no avail. I got a deep tissue massage and that helped work out some of the knots in my tight muscles but I still had the IT band pain when I ran. (And yes, I got new shoes as well).

Finally I went to a chiropractor this week and she found that my pelvis was pretty severely rotated. She did an adjustment on me and the difference is amazing. I'm still tight in my left hamstring and in the groin area (the massage therapist noted that as well) so I'm stretching but I ran 5 miles today and felt great with no knee/IT band pain at all. Going to do a 10 mile run this weekend so hopefully it will be good as well.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    OMG same story with me - i went to PT and they basically maniuplated and relocated my SI band and hip - immediate relief just soreness from all the muscular prodding and poking over past few weeks...

cant wait to get better - i miss my running!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    ITBS sucks!!! Yes, it is pretty typical. I think it 's the most common injury in runners. It could be caused by a number of things: overuse, too much too soon (adding on distance or speed waaaaay too quickly), biomechanics, weak hips/glutes/hammies, ill fitting shoes, your stride, etc.

Good thing you are seeing your doc - it's best to confirm that it's ITBS and nothing else. Also, if you haven't gotten your gait analyzed at a running store or by a chiro/PT, do so. A PT may be able to recommend some hip strengthening exercises for you. Good that you've found some already - if you weren't doing any sort of lower body strength training, do so for preventive measures.

One more important thing: if you just recently started adding on mileage, it doesn't hurt to slow down your long runs if you were still running them at the same pace as your shorter runs. I know Hal Higdon's first piece of advice on his long run workouts is to slow down, 30-90 seconds slower than your race pace, or at a pace where you can have a comfortable conversation with a running partner.

Otherwise, icing, foam rolling, yoga, stretching, is all good. I had a nasty bout of ITBS back in 2010 while training for a marathon. (Too much, too soon, too fast, not enough miles = recipe for injury). I had to DNF and couldn't run for 3 whole months. :-( So I know how much it sucks. Good thing you're getting it checked out now so you can combat the problem right away!

Best of luck with your doc and the remainder of your training!