m00nflwr
m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
I have a 5k in 4 weeks!

Here's my fall race plan:

10/6 Runway 5k
11/4 Biltmore 5k
12/1 Jingle Bell 5k

When is everyone else racing?

Let us know so we can cheer you on and hear all about your race!

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @m00nflwr - Not so much a plan but

- Half marathon on Saturday - 15/9/2012
    - Marathon - 29/10/2012

This is unusual for me it's my first marathon. Last year it was 5K, 5mile and 10K runs.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Have a 5K in October and need to sign up for a Nov and Dec run. :)
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have a 10k in October - looking forward to the whole weekend away. Staying the night before in a motel with a spa bath so that will be a nice relaxing evening before the run next morning.
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Did you run the Air Force Half yesterday? My husband, step daughter and I ran it!!! My knees are feeling it today! But man do i feel good!!! I was so emotional at the finish line!!!
    Good Luck with your marathon!
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k next weekend
    Another 5k Oct. 6th
    Another 5k at the end of Oct.
    and my very first half in Nov!!!!! :happy:
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Ran the half on Saturday. 124 minutes (2 hours 4 mins). First 10 miles were fine but the last 3.1 miles were all up hill and my legs were gone. I have a sore ankle but it will heal over the next week.

I used my first gel ever during the race and it really seemed to to give me a boost. I usually run on an empty stomach and just take water. I can't really handle running after eating anything even with a 4 hour gap. Anyone else have a similar problem? I'm going to have to work something out before the marathon at the end of October.
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Pabs--I tried the Rasberry GU for the first time...the taste was better than I thought and it helped me.
    I agree on my last 3 miles...going up the hills wasn't as bad as going down the last 2--my knee almost locked up a couple times! It took me 3 hours and 15 mins, but I crossed that finish line one happy girl!!! Very emotional!
    Good job on your run!
    Another tip--I ran with compression knee socks for the first time at my half--I LOVED THEM!! My feet and calves didn't hurt at all afterwards...only my knee (which has been giving me fits for the last 2 months)--the socks are expensive, but so worth it!!!
    Good luck on your full!
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 5k on Sunday - hoping the weather isn't too bad for it. Hoping to get around 30mins but after suffering some hip pain after my last run - I won't push myself to the point of injury just to get under 30mins.
  • MamaKeeks
    Options
    Running a 5k on Sunday (Ottawa's Army Run); and have signed up my 4 year old twins for their very first race - they'll be running the "Jinglebone" 1k kids race with me on October 28th! :tongue:
  • wingednotes
    Options
    Only one for me - THanksgiving Day! 5k
    I'm hoping to start training for the 10k this winter.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Mashpee, MA Oktoberfest 10K 10/6
    Ashland, MA Half Marathon 10/28
    Falmouth, MA in the Fall 7 miler 11/4
    Framingham, MA Turkey Trot 5K 11/22
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Tufts 10k for Women on October 8th
    Jack London 10k trail run on November 3rd
    aaand a Spartan Sprint on November 18th in Fenway Park!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Framingham, MA Turkey Trot 5K 11/22

Hey, I was thinking about doing that one!
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Hi Teresa712,

Congrats on your race, that's fantastic. It's very hard to run with knee problems. Sounds like you have a bit of metal about you.

You should be emotional. It's bloody hard to do and very few people have done it. I'm meeting quite a few people these days while trying raise charity money for the marathon who dismiss running 13.1 or 26.2 miles like it's not difficult. None of these people have ever done it.

Teresa you are 1% of 1% of the worlds population (i.e. 0.01%). That's how elite the group who have run a half or marathon are. Running even 5K puts you in a small percentage of the worlds population.

I'm very interested in these socks where would I find them? I'm fairly certain as a 40 year Irish man I would be quite dashing in such an outfit !! But if they help I'll wear them. Do they come with matching shoes?:happy:

Bit worried about the full marathon have never run that far before I was fairly wrecked after 10 miles on the half (although I ran it a bit fast for a codger like me). My training has been plagued with little niggles and I haven't done as many really long runs as I'd hoped.

Ah well, I've heard Guinness gives you strength so I think I'll focus on making sure I get enough of it from now until the end of October.

Pabs
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Washington DC - Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon 10/7
    Virginia Beach, VA - Wicked 10K 10/27

Still looking for 3 more to round out my 2012 goal of 12 races :)